Glock Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heavily considering buying a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor off of newegg or directron. What would be a good basic motherboard for use with it? I am not planning on playing games or anything. Just going to be used as a file server and desktop

·
Registered
27,997 Posts
When it comes to motherboards, if its not Asus or MSI, I don't use it.

IGF

·
Registered
30 Posts
I recommend Asus; been using their boards for years and they are always stable as a rock.

Abit used to be a major contender but these days Gigabyte makes some strong offerings at usually less-than-Asus prices. ASRock and Biostar are supposedly good budget boards, but I've typically stuck with Asus with a few exceptions and have been very happy.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I have 2 pc's that I put Gigabytes into. One is over a year the other is only several months old. Both have been running without any problems. I felt that they offered alot at a reasonable price, plus I went with Gigabyte video cards so I knew there would be no compat issues.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Im using a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128359

with a q9550 at 4ghz I looked at the Asues P5Q Pro http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131377 as an alternative but it didn't have as many USB ports or Sata ports. Both the Asus and Gigabyte are good names and very highly reguarded for overclocking. The msi and asrock boards are nice but don't have the solid caps like the Asus p5q pro and the Gigabyte EP45 ud3 boards.
As long as you stick with a p45/p48 from a good brand name you should get good results. Stay away from the intel branded boards because while they are solid basic boards they lack features and have no overclocking capabilities in the bios. Also I would stay far away from the Nvidia based boards unless you absolutely must have sli they tend to die often and love to kill memory.

If you have more money I'd go with the core i7 or wait a few months for the new cheaper mainstream core i5 that is coming out.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really like the looks of the ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo. Maybe I will just get the duo for now till the price drops on the quad. What ram is reccomended for that board if I want 4 gigs?

Will the new I5's take a different processor socket correct? I have not built my own pc since the days of socket A's and have not kept up on all the new computer hardware unfortunately.

·
NRA Member
3,240 Posts
I just built a new pc with the Yorkfield 2.83 quad and I selected the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Motherboard. This board is 4x Winner of the Customer Choice Award - Intel Motherboards and costs $134.99 from Newegg. It has 8 usb ports, two gigabit Ethernet along with coax and fiber SPDiF on the back panel and it runs and looks fantastic. The Yorkfield chips that come with the E0 stepping are best for overclocking. The C1 stepping chips run fine but cannot be overclocked as much. Lately Newegg has been shipping the E0 stepping chips.

I have two 2 Gig DDR2 1066 modules in it, Saphire Geforce 260 video card, and two WD Black 1TB SATA drives running RAID 0 and it is a very quick pc. It is about the best bang for the buck I could come up with. If you spend significantly more for an i7 chip and DDR3 memory the additional performance gains are minimal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358

·
Registered
510 Posts
"I really like the looks of the ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo. Maybe I will just get the duo for now till the price drops on the quad. What ram is reccomended for that board if I want 4 gigs?"

It really depends on if you ever plan to overclock or not. You'll want a good name brand with a lifetime warrenty I prefer Corsair and Gskil and as a minimum you want at least pc6400 (800mhz) at 1.8 - 1.9v (voltage is important for it to work right out of the box some uber o/c ram runs at 2.3v and requires a bios change and a 1.8v stick to boot it the first time) you can get Corsair XMS2 and Gskil 4gb Kits for around $40. Crucial Kingston OCZ and Geil are good brands but some people have issues with them. Value branded ram isn't worth the extra savings anymore because you can get better timings and heatspreaders for a few dollars more.

"Will the new I5's take a different processor socket correct? I have not built my own pc since the days of socket A's and have not kept up on all the new computer hardware unfortunately."

Core i7 takes a lga1366 board and core I5 will be lga1156 core i5 will have most of the benifits of i7 (which at higher clocks destroys core2) sli and crossfire on the mobo, integrated memory controllers, hyperthreading for 8 threads on a quad, and ddr3 support but lacks tripple chanel memory. (as of now anyways). The expected price points for i5 bring them inline with the higher clocked core2 quads and the i7 920. I would wait for i5 as it will have roughly the same performance as i7 with better pricetag. Anandtech has a good preview of i5 (written before it was formally branded)

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3570&p=2

"With a 2.66GHz Lynnfield and a $100 P55 motherboard you now have the ability to deliver a good quad-core system at around $150 - $200 cheaper than the cheapest Core i7. Price-wise the 2.66GHz Lynnfield would be priced cheaper than today's Core 2 Quad Q9400, and as you'll see Lynnfield is clearly a faster bet.
The 2.80GHz Lynnfield should also be able to outperform the i7-920 without a problem, at a lower total system cost as well."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.