Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not one for upgrading my carry weapon, but was thinking of making my new G19C more enjoyable to shoot. I started off by undercutting the trigger guard (that helped a lot). My next upgrade will probably be a set of Trijicon HD XR sights, and a Glock factory raised slide release. The only other things I could see doing would be to add a non ported barrel, flat trigger shoe, and a $.25 trigger job. Do any of my mods have a bad track record with reliability? Where would you draw the line on a carry weapon?

·
Registered
215 Posts
"Unreliable Upgrades?"

Kind of an oxymoronic title. Sights and any OEM parts should be good. Start changing out trigger parts or barrel, you might see problems.

If you have less than 500 rounds through the gun, resist the urge to change things, until you know what "normal" is. Suggest a good log of each session and note any issues, noting the type of ammo, weight of bullets and any magazine issues.

After any substantial changes, note the same things and see if you can isolate any problems.

YMMV

·
Registered
35 Posts
Where would you draw the line on a carry weapon?
In my earlier years I used to love to tinker. The two "upgrades" that would almost always cause problems was going to an aftermarket recoil spring assembly or a non-Glock OEM connector.

Honestly, all I change now are sights and I leave everything else alone - stock trigger, connector and RSA. -Especially if it is to be a carry gun.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Replace the ported barrel with an OEM G19 unported barrel. Every specific characteristic of a ported barrel is BAD for any recoil-operated auti-pistol that serves any serious duty as a WEAPON and is not a range toy.

Here's what happens unavoidably by the laws of physics when a recoil-operated auto-pistol is ported, COMPARED to the same unported pistol firing the identical ammunition:

1. Muzzle velocity is lowered, which increases bullet drop in any specific distance to target, and causes items 2 and 3.
2. Muzzle energy is lowered, which reduces ballistic terminal performance.
3. Muzzle momentum ("power factor"*) is reduced, which directly causes item 4.
4. Slide recoil velocity relative to the frame is lowered which ALWAYS places the operation of a recoil-operated pistol closer to functional failure, especially if the shooter fails to hold the pistol firmly during recoil or uses ammo producing too low muzzle momentum ("power factor"*).
5. Aural sound blast around the shooter is increased significantly, especially in confined areas.

ALL of the above always happen with a ported barrel. ANY of the above should be enough to disuade an informed shooter from using a ported recoil-operated auto-pistol as a WEAPON.

All such concerns fade when in the realm of GUN GAMES at the range. In some types of rigorous high-end competition, a ported pistol's potential reduction of muzzle flip may be worth the risk of all the performance degradation caused by porting. The issue of aural blast will be made inconsequential by the good hearing protection that nobody ever gets to wear when using a pistol during a real-world defensive event.

The coroner won't be awarding extra points for tighter groups on some bad guy.

* PF = Bullet Weight gr x Bullet Muzzle Velocity fps / 1000

Keep everything else OEM parts unless the pistol is just a pure range toy.

·
1911 lover
10,157 Posts
Trigger parts seem to cause issues as can plus 2 or plus 3 mag changes. The apex trigger shoe with stock glock trigger piece does not cause problems. I love mine. I dont mess with a lot of the trigger parts.. but other folks can make their own call on that.

I like simple.

·
Florist
20,158 Posts
All Glock owners need to shoot at least 500 rounds through their factory stock pistols for familiarization before they start modding them. If for nothing else, at least the owner can then post on GT "The first 500 rounds were flawless. Then I started to mod this-or-that..." LOL.

Reactions: DieselNut

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Replace the ported barrel with an OEM G19 unported barrel. Every specific characteristic of a ported barrel is BAD for any recoil-operated auti-pistol that serves any serious duty as a WEAPON and is not a range toy.

Here's what happens unavoidably by the laws of physics when a recoil-operated auto-pistol is ported, COMPARED to the same unported pistol firing the identical ammunition:

1. Muzzle velocity is lowered, which increases bullet drop in any specific distance to target, and causes items 2 and 3.
2. Muzzle energy is lowered, which reduces ballistic terminal performance.
3. Muzzle momentum ("power factor"*) is reduced, which directly causes item 4.
4. Slide recoil velocity relative to the frame is lowered which ALWAYS places the operation of a recoil-operated pistol closer to functional failure, especially if the shooter fails to hold the pistol firmly during recoil or uses ammo producing too low muzzle momentum ("power factor"*).
5. Aural sound blast around the shooter is increased significantly, especially in confined areas.

ALL of the above always happen with a ported barrel. ANY of the above should be enough to disuade an informed shooter from using a ported recoil-operated auto-pistol as a WEAPON.

All such concerns fade when in the realm of GUN GAMES at the range. In some types of rigorous high-end competition, a ported pistol's potential reduction of muzzle flip may be worth the risk of all the performance degradation caused by porting. The issue of aural blast will be made inconsequential by the good hearing protection that nobody ever gets to wear when using a pistol during a real-world defensive event.

The coroner won't be awarding extra points for tighter groups on some bad guy.

* PF = Bullet Weight gr x Bullet Muzzle Velocity fps / 1000

Keep everything else OEM parts unless the pistol is just a pure range toy.
Thanks for the reply. I’ve often wondered if those 4 points you mention could be somewhat cured by +p ammunition? Or if that’s just a bad idea all together....

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All Glock owners need to shoot at least 500 rounds through their factory stock pistols for familiarization before they start modding them. If for nothing else, at least the owner can then post on GT "The first 500 rounds were flawless. Then I started to mod this-or-that..." LOL.
Normally I do that very thing. My Glock 35 only has had the sights replaced. I took a pistol class with it and was quickly introduced to Glock knuckle. I believe that’s the first time I’ve ran a higher amount of rounds through any handgun I own because I’m mainly shooting rifles when I go out.

I’ll take your advice for sure. I need to submit an order for a variety of ammunition to put this through its paces.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Easy answer for me. I see more guns that won’t cycle after adding comps. Some do seem fine but other not so much. Like flipping a coin.

I didnt need to shoot 500 rounds out of my new Glock to know the trigger sucks. Figured that out about round number 4. Just like if I buy a new car and it tries to pull off the road I don’t need to put 1000 miles on it and hope maybe I’ll just “adapt” to the problem. I just need to fix the issue to make it right for me. I applaud those that think if they shoot 1000s rounds maybe you just become comfortable and complacent but I don’t think that way. I’m just giving you a hard time this am. I do agree that the more you shoot a gun the better you get with it regardless what’s modded or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
494 Posts
If you have to do all these mods to the gun, why did you buy it in the first place?
I’m guessing the same reason people like to upgrade their cars. I know I like to make my things the way I want them. I honestly hate the serrated trigger shoes and it bothers me when shooting lots of rounds. I don’t go bling for the sake of bling but there are things with Glock I don’t really like and the issues are easy to fix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Upgrading sights and fitting an OEM extended slide release are hardly radical modifications - go right ahead.

a standard barrel is a sensible purchase also. If nothing else it will allow you to shoot a wider range of cheaper practice ammo, in that way it will pay for itself. My only concern is whether a 19C RSA is standard? Maybe someone here can advise because if not you may be better off changing barrel and RSA together.

A $0.25 trigger job can be attained through regularly practicing with your pistol. Just let the parts wear into each other through use.

Flat trigger shoe? Why?

·
NRA Life Member
66,538 Posts
The $.25 trigger job has been "the only mod I've done" in more Glock Talk "why won't my gun work" threads than anything else you mentioned.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I’m guessing the same reason people like to upgrade their cars. I know I like to make my things the way I want them. I honestly hate the serrated trigger shoes and it bothers me when shooting lots of rounds. I don’t go bling for the sale of bling but there are things with Glock I don’t really like.

Coming from using other brands of handguns, the weirdest thing for me transitioning to Glocks as my new ccw gun is the trigger shoe and the safety thing that sticks out of it. I do want to put out more rounds through it before messing with it, but other than sights, the trigger shoe looks like the first big thing that I will change.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Coming from using other brands of handguns, the weirdest thing for me transitioning to Glocks as my new ccw gun is the trigger shoe and the safety thing that sticks out of it. I do want to put out more rounds through it before messing with it, but other than sights, the trigger shoe looks like the first big thing that I will change.
I can deal with the fact the action feels like a mashed potato with ZERO feedback but that trigger shoe is really the dumbest thing I’ve seen. It’s like they made my 43x were almost finished and realized they had to put a trigger in it and the only thing they found was that serrated pos that the safety won’t even fully go into the shoe. Apex trigger shoe and trigger bar has made my experience shooting the gun better. I don’t expect it to be a custom 1911 trigger or even close to my Sigs or Berettas triggers but I didn’t expect to dislike it as much as I did.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I can deal with the fact the action feels like a mashed potato with ZERO feedback but that trigger shoe is really the dumbest thing I’ve seen. It’s like they made my 43x were almost finished and realized they had to put a trigger in it and the only thing they found was that serrated pos that the safety won’t even fully go into the shoe. Apex trigger shoe and trigger bar has made my experience shooting the gun better. I don’t expect it to be a custom 1911 trigger or even close to my Sigs or Berettas triggers but I didn’t expect to dislike it as much as I did.

That's exactly how I feel but to hate it so much almost makes me feel like I should hate the whole gun as well since the trigger is one of the most important parts of a gun (to me) so I don't want to say I hate it. I'm just not used to it and if I don't think I can get used to it, then I'll go for the Apex like many other people have in their handguns. Apex' site was down last week when I was looking for triggers so I gave my G19 trigger an extra week to win me over. Now that I see that the Apex site is back up, maybe I'll just go ahead and buy it. But do I need just the trigger and bar or the connector as well? The one good thing I like about Glocks is the amount of aftermarket there is as well as YouTube video reviews of mods. I don't want to mod this gun too much, but yeah the trigger is just way too strange to me to get used to. I have friends who have only owned Glocks which is why I finally gave in and bought one. I like most of it so far. I just need new sights and a trigger replacement.

·
Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
8,785 Posts
My years on earth have led me to using whatever I have for carry, competition and hunting.
Upgrades or modifications were at times censored by GSSF in the pursuit of making the field of play level in Production categories.

I have also limited the war of aftermarket parts as I also use ammunition that I carry for self defense.

Tricijon Hd sights, Pearce mag extensions, A grip ( grip enhancement), Wolff trigger springs, firing pin springs, safety plunger springs and + 10% mag springs( glock 17).
The above represents the only product that is not Glock and I consider Glocks product fails miserably.

After no longer actively competing in GSSF my 26’s and 30s’s have an undercut trigger guard in healing my Glock knuckle and accommodating larger hands.

I have outlined parts and frame changes on the 26 and 30s to fit my hands. I have also taken Flitz and a felt wheel in polishing parts that Glock has produced without thought of very negative results in operation.

Glocks desire to hold costs in final fit and finish, found many a person evaluating out of the box performance as not Perfect, just conditionally
acceptable. The cause and affect of evaluation found myself Polishing feed ramps, rail inserts, trigger bar, firing pin, and safety plunger.

Swapping Glock smooth triggers, extended mag releases and extended slide stops kept me legal for GSSF.

Now I find myself in between those that Mod and those Fan Bois who believe in no changes.

Very few if any follow my thought process, I do understand. My goal 30 years ago was to become a better shooter with my carry weapon, and competition was used as practice and measurement of progress.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts