close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Most reliable 9mm suppressor for Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by emt1581, Feb 9, 2005.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I'm curious if there is a 9mm suppressor out there that will feed and function 100% reliable on a G19?

I remember someone mentioning one that was a bunch of numbers and letters (forget the company's name), but the site had a bunch of them on it and when you clicked on the suppressor it gave you stats and had cool sound effects.

Let me know what yall think. Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

2. r2kba

r2kba Relax

I think we allready covered this in another thread.. ?

[​IMG]

http://gem-tech.com/TRINITY.html

Lots of can's work, generally you need some sort of recoil booster.

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Nope that wasn't the one I was talking about.

The one I meant was the SG9-K9 or something like that.

So the trinity is 100% reliable on a Glock?

I've heard Glocks are verrryyyy picky with suppressors which is why I asked.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

4. r2kba

r2kba Relax

Any browning system is going to be picky. Call gemtech and ask them.

5. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Browning?

-Emt1581

6. SunsetMan

SunsetMan Deplorable Lifetime Member

I'll give this a shot. In a pistol with a Browning action, after the bullet has been fired the barrel and slide move back together for (racks slide on .40 Glock 23) about 1/4 inch when the rear of the barrel is cammed down by the frame and unlocked from the slide. This allows the slide to continue moving back to extract and eject the case. The slide and barrel are locked together for the 1/4 inch to allow the gas pressure to fall enough where the case can be extracted without a chance of it rupturing.

The tilting down of the back of the barrel is greatly hindered by having the weight of a suppressor on the front of the barrel and necessitates the use of a recoil booster to cycle the action. This is common to all Browning action pistols like the Glock, Colt 1911, Sig Sauer, and most of the Heckler and Koch pistols. I've read inferences that Sig pistols may be easier to cycle than other pistols. Perhaps the barrel doesn't have to tilt as much?

The Beretta 92/96 models use a falling block mechanism to lock the barrel to the slide. The barrel of a Beretta travels straight back and is therefore more suppressor friendly and generally doesn't require a recoil booster. The Beretta Cougars and the new PX4 have a rotating barrel mechanism. The barrel goes straight back, but rotates slightly in the process. I haven't heard of too many of these being suppressed and it makes me wonder how fast a suppressor will loosen when used on these guns.

7. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Yeah I've heard that about the tilting before.

My next question then is what suppressor or suppressor accessory prevents the suppressor from fudging up the tilting process. I'm guessing some heavier springs might help.

What about the original question...which suppressor is best for a Glock?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

8. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

http://www.swrmfg.com

The K2 was prototyped on the G19. I use it without failure on a G17 and a G34.

9. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

A piston type system allows the barrel to recoil without dragging the mass of the suppressor. Commonly referred to as Neisen device, LCD, LID, booster, etc.

Most suppressor makers license use the GSL version.

I have posted pictures, do a search.

10. SunsetMan

I'll be right up front and tell you I have little practical experience in this area. I don't have a suppressor yet. I have fired briefly a 9mm Beretta 92 Vertec with an AAC suppressor, a 9mm H&K P7 squeeze cocker with the same suppressor, and a .45 H&K USP Tactical with a CCF suppressor. Most of my knowledge comes from searching the boards here and on:

www.uzitalk.com
    www.hkpro.com
    www.sigforum.com
    www.berettaforum.net
    www.ar15.com
    www.1911forum.com

I also bought Al Paulson's volume I suppressor book which I recommend.

A recoil booster is used to help a gun function. There are two types that I know of, the Nielson device, and the linear inertial decoupler (LID) used by Gemtech and SWR. Both devices are a spring loaded coupling between the gun barrel and the suppressor. When the gun is fired the barrel and slide want to recoil backwards. The mass of the suppressor wants to remain stationary (inertia = resistance to change in state of motion). Also, the gasses of the gunshot want to blow the suppressor forward. The recoil booster allows the suppressor to telescope and lets the gun's barrel and slide to travel backwards a bit free from the weight of the suppressor. When the gas pressure on the suppressor lets up the suppressor springs back and helps cycle the pistol some more.

The Nielson device consists of a gas piston (with a hole in the middle for the bullet to pass through) attached to the barrel that rides inside the walls of the booster that acts as a sleeve and is attached to the suppressor. It allows gas pressure to push the piston and barrel back. Allowing gas pressure inside the booster allows it to get dirty.

From the pictures I've seen the LID looks like a barrel extension with a precision sleeve around it. The extension is attached to the barrel and the sleeve is attached to the suppressor and a spring acts as a buffer between them. The LID does not allow gasses to enter the booster and is therefore cleaner.

Amphibian said the Nielson device acted like an additional baffle and helped quiet the suppressor. He said the LID seemed to make the suppressor a little louder.

Both boosters have their advantages and dis-advantages. From what I've read both allow a Glock to cycle 100% reliably. I THINK that with a booster you will not have to fiddle with your gun's recoil or striker springs.

There is no great description on how the boosters work that I've found. My descriptions are from weeks of dwelling on the subject and what few photos I've found on the net.

I want to go with Gemtech because I hear nothing but good things about their service, they have been in the business a long time, and their prices are reasonable. The SOS-40 appears to be a good sized suppressor, not too small to where I think it will be too loud, but not too large either. The SOS has the advantage that the booster can be removed from the suppressor should you want to put it on a Beretta or a rifle.

I've considered getting a very small and light suppressor that might let the Glock cycle. From what I've read though, even the lightest suppressors out there do not guarantee 100% reliability no matter how much you fiddle with the gun's springs and then you have a loud suppressor you have to pack with grease every 10 rounds.

Research the net and if possible get some hands on experience with suppressors. I got lucky and my local gunshop/range turned me on to a guy who had a bunch of suppressors. See if you can find a local class 3 dealer who will you let you demo some.

(Edited the description of how a recoil booster works to get the physics better, I hope.)

11. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

This is the GSL device as used by SWR:

[​IMG]

12. SunsetMan

You 'da man RenegadeGlocker. That is the picture that made me think I understood the LID/GSL.

Did my descriptions sound close?

13. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

Yes, technically the barrel/slide starts moving backward first (Newtons Laws), and then the air blast hits the baffles and tries to push it forward. The LID/LCD allows the barrel/slide to move independently of the can. Thus allowing the barrel/slide to move backward without carrying the mass and force of the can.

14. SunsetMan

Here are some pictures that that show the a Nielson device and the sleeved portion of the suppressor it fits into. This is from a Knights suppressor.

15. SunsetMan

Here is the sleeve attached to the suppressor.

16. Atlmike

Atlmike

EMT1581,

Our Evolution 9 was developed around and works wonderfully on the G19. The Evolution uses our A.S.A.P. (Assured Semi Automatic Performance)system, which is a variation of the Nielsen device. The A.S.A.P. differs from the L.I.D. in that it is an integral part of the silencer rather than a separate or accessory module. As such, it allows the Evolution 9 to be both smaller (7.4 inches overall) and more efficient (-34 db reduction) than a silencer with a L.I.D. or traditional sealed Nielsen device like the AWC Recoil Regulator for the Abraxas. The Evolution series are also now available in .40 and .45.

Mike Smith
    Advanced Armament Corp.

17. SunsetMan

Cool. It is always comforting to hear from the manufacturers on these boards.

Atlmike, I've read that with the Evolution you can replace the Nielson device with a sleeve if you don't need the booster, is this true and does it have any effect on the suppression?

The Evolution is a good looking suppressor. Gemtech lists the SOS-40 at 7.1 inches long. They don't specify, but I think this is without the LID that would make it 1 1/2 to 2 inches longer.

I like that AAC has magazine reviews on the website. All manufacturers should do that. Suppressors are very hard to shop for for your average civilian.

http://www.advanced-armament.com/articles/

18. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Wow! The 9mm suppressors weight 9oz?! My OutbackII weighs 2.5!

No wonder they hinder cycling sometimes. ;)

I do appreciate the replies. I agree, I like hearing direct from manufac. on the boards I still do my research, but typically I end up buying from them. Product is only half the battle for me, customer service means a GREAT deal.

Sunset- I agree, they are VERY hard to shop for without prior experience! It took me a few months just to decide on my OutbackII. Getting into on here (FFZ) was like pulling teeth at first. The only one that was really helpful from the beginning was R2KBA. Everyone else was pretty hush hush on the subject.

Thanks again!

-Emt1581

19. Atlmike

Atlmike

SunsetMan,

The sleeve replaces the driving spring in the A.S.A.P. for use on fixed barrel handguns like the H&K P9-S, P7, and any 9mm, .40, or .45 long arm. Having the sleeve installed has little to no appreciable effect on suppression.

Mike Smith
    AAC

20. SunsetMan

Mike, on the Evolution does the Nielson device fit inside the suppressor tube or does it screw on the end? The website makes it sound like it fits inside the tube and I see no seam in any of the pictures of the Evolution, but in the magazine review of the Evolution 9 it looks like the Nielson device is a separate unit that screws on the end of the suppressor.

Thanks.