close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Most reliable 22LR?(detonating, not feeding)

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by voyager4520, Feb 7, 2010.

1. voyager4520

voyager4520

Someone I know recently got a .22lr revolver and some CCI Velociters. Maybe it was just a bad batch, but the Velociters had 4 failures to fire out of one box. I had heard CCI was more reliable than most.

I've heard that Eley is pretty reliable stuff, what about it and Remington boxed Eley ammo? What's been the most reliable stuff in your experience?

2. RyeDaddy

RyeDaddy

For me, the most reliable has been CCI. Your experience is unfortunate, is it possible there is a light hammer spring issue in the revolver? Never shot any Eley, but the Remington I've shot has been so-so reliable, but dirty and inaccurate. Remington is my least favorite 22 ammo.

Federal and Aguila shoot well for me also.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010

3. DonD

DonD

I don't know what you mean by detonating in the title of your post. Never heard of .22LR detonating.

I think you'll find a lot of different answers from responders, the mix of ammo and guns is virtually endless.

Surprised that CCI Velocitors would have so many failures, I haven't shot many of them but have had no problems. In my experience, Remington bulk ammo has had a lot of failures to fire, all with solid primer strikes. Federal bulk has been far more reliable for me.

Eley, particularly their match ammo, has a high end reputation and considering their astronomical price (for .22LR ammo) it ought to work well. Don

4. mteagle1

mteagle1

Most people that refer to CCI mean Mini-Mags. They are sort of the Gold Standard for rimfire Steel Challenge. At least they will be my ammo of choice for a new Tactical Solutions upper for my 22/45 at the next steel match. However I practice with whichever brand is available even if it is Remington as they teach clearance drill practice. Red label Federal bulk seem to be better than blue label and Federal Match is dirtier than Winchester 333. Last batch is Blaser which I am too much of a wimp to try below freezing and the C-More doesn't like the cold either.

5. voyager4520

voyager4520

By detonating I mean firing. I don't think it's the gun because each of the four rounds later had the bullets pulled from them and the powder properly disposed of, then to ignite the priming they literally had to be beat on with a hammer, pretty hard too.

6. vafish

vafish

I coach junior rifle teams and run small bore matches.

I've seen hundreds of thousands of .22LR rounds fired. I can't recall ever seeing a round of Ely fail to fire that wasn't a problem with the rifle.

My daughter uses SK Standard Plus for practice ammo. It's the same thing as the Wolf Match Target. She's fired over 30,000 rounds of it without a misfire.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010