Most enjoyable Linux

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Washington D.C., Sep 27, 2005.

1. c00p

c00p

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

PC-BSD makes Free BSD really easy.I tried Net BSD a few years ago because it was suppose to be faster than Linux.I didn't norice any great speed increase at the time but now it's beginning to show some speed advantage on my PC's.

http://www.pcbsd.org/

3. biblefreak

biblefreak

Hey Washington,

Did you try out MEPISLite 3.3.2 test01 yet? I have not, but would be interested what you thought.

My vote (guess?!!!)

ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/mepis/testing/SimplyMEPIS-3.3.2.test03.iso

I have been running this one for a couple of weeks. Upgraded Kde to 3.4 and have really enjoyed it. Then again, I really liked MEPIS 3.3.1!! I am somewhat anxious to see 3.4 as it will have xorg by default as well as KDE 3.4.

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Yes i'm running it NOW!!!!!It's the same kernel as SimplyMepis 3.3.2test03.I had that one before.The PC with less memory had MepisLite3.3.1-2test03 and the other now has MepisLite2.3.2test01.I was surprised the one with less memory would even run the live CD.

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

SimplyMepis 3.4 will be interesting.Warren said it should be out one month after KDE 3.4 and Xorg are in Debian,so it shouldn't be long

6. Meman5150

Meman5150 Senior Member

I personally love Knoppix the new DVD 4.0.2 is out.

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I downloaded the Knoppix 4.0.2 CD,it will run live but I keep getting errors trying to install it to the hard drive.The Puppy Linux CD is only 55MB and a fast download and requires very little setup.

8. Meman5150

Meman5150 Senior Member

I haven't tried to install knoppix yet. I will give it a try when I get my new computer and if it works I'll send you a copy if you want.

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I've installed Knoppix before,it's just the 4.0.2 CD that gives me trouble.You should try Kanotix for hard disk install.It's an inprovement on Knoppix.

10. ATI_RAGE_

ATI_RAGE_ 1911 Fanatic

+1 on Ubuntu.

Also check out Mandriva from what I have seen it looks very well done, and very friendly for users.

If you guys want give Debian a try.

11. biblefreak

biblefreak

MEPIS is almost pure Debian and can use any Debian repository. Much easier to install, runs as a live cd, plus comes preconfigured for most multimedia.

Justin

12. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Mepis is based on Debian testing and Kanotix is based on Debian unstable.Mepis 3.4 hasn't been released yet.It's suppose to incluse KDE 3.4.x and Xorg after they are both in Debian testing for 30 days.
    I use a rather slow and low memory PC to test speed.I find MepisLite 3.3.1-2test03 a bit faster than MepisLite 3.3.2test01.This might be the "quality" on KDE is cranked up on the newer version,requiring more resources.It appears the 2.4 kernel has a lower quality option that the 2.6 kernel doesn't have by default.Both have the same packages and Xfree86 and KDE 3.3.2.They are both faster than SimplyMepis which requires more memory.The main package differences I can find are the office suite packages but there must be more to it.Maybe KDE is stripped down a bit but I can't tell the difference in look of KDE.

Damn Small Linux is based on Debian archive and is interesting but some of the plug-ins I want to use won't work in it.I'm still working on it.I got it running on an even slower PC with even less memory.

I still find Kanotix hard to beat.It's the only one that includes the driver for my PCI ide drive controller card.I found the onboard ide controller was the choke slowing my one PC and a faster ide controller card really helped the speed of that PC.

13. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

http://www.mepislovers-wiki.org/index.php?title=Quick_Fixes_for_KDE_3.4.2_upgrade