Most Concealable "Tight to Body" OWB Holster - Advice Please

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by acroreef, May 1, 2020.

1. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Everyone with a double stack Glock needs to give this a try, it's an amazing holster.

2. ken grant

ken grant

I thank you will be very happy with it . This from a guy with boxes of holsters and I use the S/C for all my OWB carry .

tuica and StraightG48 like this.

3. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

+100 on Glocks combat holster

It's crazy to me how overlooked this is

Run your belt on the outside and it snugs up and disappears like nothing else

4. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness

Not bad, especially for the price. I haven't worn it much because I loaned that gun to my son.

5. Hähnchen

Hähnchen

Just my input, but my goto OWB is the Urban Carry lock leather for my G48. Although it took months to break-in, it is by far the best that I have ever owned. I have several other excellent brands (e.g. Bianchi, Galco) that I wear from time to time, but the Urban Carry OWB is in my opinion, the best balance of concealable and comfortable. IMG_20200912_001640722[1].jpg IMG_20200912_001705344[1].jpg

Sharkey and StraightG48 like this.
  6. tuica

tuica

If I have a pant belt loop right at 3 O’clock, I pass the belt through the inside of my Sport Combat. And hook that pant loop right between the holsters “Wings.”

Every other RH pant loop location, the belt goes around the outside of the Sport Combat. Good luck with your choice.

7. Cantankerous

Cantankerous

Do
    Don Hume #721 has served me well for 20+years OWB

equin likes this.
  8. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

perhaps you would care to describe this "level of function" that has likely escaped the majority of gun carrying Americans.

I am not suggesting that any manner of crappy belt will get the job done, it wont. The same goes for any crap holster. What I am saying is that I disagree with the proclamation that "No holster will perform adequately unless it’s worn on a proper gunbelt".

I take proper gunbelt to mean a belt that is specifically designed to bear the weight and abuse of carrying a gun, often with added rigidity.

Adequately is a very subjective term but heck, I learn new stuff every day.

9. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

What’s the big deal about wearing a gun belt? I wear a Big Foot every day, all the time. It’s just my normal belt. I’m not sure what the drawback is supposed to be.

10. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

well...looks like you got multiple suggestions...which is normal for GT...hardly any firearm related question one can pose which will not receive a bunch of good replies...so, what did you choose?

11. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

There is no big deal.. I simply scratch my head when people seemingly make absolute sounding proclamations without any sort of explanation to back it up. Gunbelts are often considered "better" in many respects (quality, durability, rigidity) but if someone is going to suggest that its the ONLY way to achieve adequate performance, I would like that qualified. Does that mean that anyone who does not use a "gunbelt" is doomed to unsatisfactory performance. I am curious? I mean.. come on, "adequate" is not typically considered to be a high bar.

I have had the occasion to utilize all sorts of belts over the years and I have owned at least (2) "gunbelts". I am not anti-gunbelt by any stretch of the imagination.

12. FoatieFiveACP

FoatieFiveACP

^^ Well said.

"Proper gun belt" is over-rated, and a very trendy thing to say, "just because" on gun forums. Mainly by narcissistic bandwagon parrots.

I have Beltman belts. I have Wilderness belts. Both will take a set (sag) over time. Of course, less of a set than a flimsy Walmart belt, but they will all sag over time, unless there is asteel or Kydex lining inside the belt (and even a thin Kydex lining would probably eventually sag too).

And a stiff belt has nothing to do with how a holster holds and protects a gun.

Back to the topic of this thread, which has nothing to do with belts, I am a huge fan of Concealment Solutions Cobra OWB holsters. They are tight to the body, secure, and very easy and quick to install / remove:

https://www.concealmentsolutions.com/product-p/cobra.htm

I have been using Cobras for several years now, and have never been disappointed about anything with them.

Before Comp-Tac was sold to a new owner and rapidly went downhill (in product choice, but not quality), I loved their Gladiator OWB holsters, and sorely miss them. They installed on the belt with leather loops with snaps, and had a Kydex body with a leather backing.

I utterly despise threading a belt through a holster. I don't like a muzzle protruding through the bottom of a holster, just waiting to get bumped by a chair arm or something, and inadvertently un-holster my gun for me. I have Glock Sport Combat holsters, but I never use them, for those reasons. But I keep them in my holster box, in case one of my other holsters breaks or something.

FireForged likes this.
  13. pAZ Ron

pAZ Ron

Ok I will throw one drawback out there. It is thicker and stiffer than a regular belt and riding in the car rubs my lower back and hips causing irritation in a way that a normal belt does not.

I can wear up to a G23 size/weight and a 2 mag carrier on a normal belt. The G23 is better on a wider stiffer belt. But on the borderline and still ok with a normal belt. G26 and smaller are fine on a normal belt.

14. FLGuy

FLGuy

I can recommend the Phalanx Compact OWB. It rides high and tight and is curved to fit the contour of your body. The best thing about it is that it accomodates multiple brands of pistols with excellent retention. I alternetae my EDC between my G27 Gen4 and my M&P Shield 9 and both are handled terrifically by this holster. It's a steal for $34.95.

https://phalanxsystems.com/holsters/#1512394077222-f1b8c9d6-473f81f9-5a3c

20200913_143300.jpg

20200913_143346.jpg

15. G27_Jose

G27_Jose

Just my thoughts on this. I prefer kydex over leather for an EDC holster. Better retention especially when reholstering a gun. I'm in Texas and it can get hot and humid during the summer, especially when I'm working on the yard or walking the dog, and I do not have to worry about the holster absorbing a lot of my sweat. I do like leather for when I want to show off a gun, open carry, in a safe environment.

I used to prefer Bravo Concealment holsters as they were a local Texas company and offered a variety of handgun choices, colors, and thickness of material. Sadly that has changed as many companies have changed to only selling holsters for popular makes and models and offering limited choices. Also I didn't care when they started offering their OWB holsters with a "nub" for a threaded silencer barrel. I'll add that I still love my older Bravo holsters for my Commander Length 1911 with a rail. One was built with a thinner kydex that they no longer offer.

Raven Concealment is one of my preferred kydex holsters. I have a couple of their older Phantom holsters and loved the fact that they could readily convert from OWB to IWB with simply swapping out the attachment hardware (something that Bravo Concealment used to offer as well). I think RCS has been very innovative features with their newer holsters like the Perun and Morrigan with the fact that they are ambidextrous. Unfortunately like Bravo Concealment, they limit the number of firearms that they support as well as color choices.

JM Custom Kydex is a holster maker that I have only recently discovered. They make a variety of IWB and OWB holsters and support a large number of firearms and are available in many colors. I currently have 3 of their holsters and might add more after I've thinned out my holster herd some.

Comp-Tac (another Texas company) was one of the first kydex holsters I bought into. Don't have as many of them now but still quality stuff; I have a couple of their paddle holsters and like them because they are easy to get in and out of quickly.

And speaking of paddle holsters. IMO they are not as easy to conceal as a good belt holster. The paddle seems to push away from the body some while the belt holster (especially if you have a holster that uses "wings" that run the belt loops away from the holster buddy itself) tend to hug closer rather than running the belt directly behind the holster. Hope that makes sense.

As far as belts. Sure you can run any kind of belt as a gun belt. My work dress belts have never felt right when I have a holster and gun attached to them, especially a heavy gun like a steel frame 1911. Not so bad with a Glock 43 or my LCR but definitely doesn't feel secure with a non gun dress belt. Outside of work, I'll use a Wilderness Instructor or SOE belts or a purpose belt leather gun belt (i have a couple from Magpul that are really nice).

Anyway just some thoughts on the subject.

16. fjrdc

fjrdc

I've been wearing a Wright leather Predator with a Hank's CCW belt works great

17. cliff58

cliff58

This is the best holster I've worn OWB it really pulls the gun in tight-this is a heavy large auto CZ 97 BD and wearing at 330 or 4 o'clock you can conceal this really well under a long t-shirt or un-tucked button down shirt-Garrett STX 2.0 leather lined kydex a little pricey but great quality thumbnail (3) (1).jpg

StraightG48 likes this.
  18. Commo

Commo

I too have been wanting a close-fitting OWB holster for my carry pistol so I recently jumped on a holiday discount deal from Kramer Leather, understanding that the wait time would be 9-11 weeks. I’ve seen a lot of kudos for the Kramer horsehide pancake holster here on Glock Talk..

Imagine my shock and delight therefore when only a couple days later I received word that the holster had shipped..including shipping time from Washington I had my new Kramer in five days!

Guess they’d made the exact holster I ordered on spec and it had been waiting on the shelves for me.

A few gun belt makers are now making 1 1/4” belts so a while back I ordered the Bigfoot ‘dress’ belt because I’ve been very happy with their 1 1/2” version.

Kramer offers 1 1/4” slots for its holsters and for a pistol the size of the P365 (or G26) I’d concluded that the 1 1/4” offers plenty of support and so far I think I’m right. The 1 1/2” belt seems like overkill with the P365. Depends on what else you need to support with that belt, of course.

I had a hard time finding pics of any pistol in a pancake holster on the narrower belt, so for those in the same boat here is a pic of the Kramer and Bigfoot 1 1/4” belt. Not exactly a G26 but it gives you an idea how the narrower belt and OWB holster sit on your hip at about 4-5 o’clock. This shows a 12-round magazine; with the 10-round magazine the pistol tucks in a bit better.

Commo

[​IMG]

Orive 8 likes this.