Most accurate out-of-the box 9mm?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Smooth_squeeze, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Smooth_squeeze

Smooth_squeeze

Am thinking of buying another 9mm.

Would like to know what you think, or know to be, is the most inherently accurate pistol out-of-the-box, in 9mm. Meaning without any tweaking or sending the gun to be accurized, what do you recommend? And just what kind of accuracy can be expected?

Thanks,

Smooth Squeeze

2. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

In reality, just about any of them these days.
    Accuracy is dependent on the loose nut holding the grip.
    How accurate? Well are you looking to make a single hole 10 feet away or hit minute of man in SD distances?
    Those things would help with your question.
    Otherwise, find what fits, points as naturally as possible for you and has the features you can't live without.
    Happy Shopping

3. ss30378

ss30378

Sig p210 has always been considered one of the best but is over $2 grand

juma, 2450paul, Solideogloria and 2 others like this.
  4. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

CZ75 SP-01, all steel no flex, near $600.

4Rescue, morgoth, Glock40man and 2 others like this.
  5. plp

plp

No idea, as I don't get to shoot a lot of brand new out of the box guns. However, the one to this day that was the most impressive to me was my Glock 26. It certainly didn't shoot like a small handgun.

For the money, have been very pleased with both the Buckmark and Ruger 9E. Strangely, the more I practice, the more accurate they get, funny how that works.

6. Smooth_squeeze

Smooth_squeeze

Sorry for not being clearer in my original post. While I have a CZ-75b, and it's a great shooter, as well as a Glock 17 and 26, plus some other 9mm, I'm just trying to find out which one will shoot the very tightest groups at 50 yards, assuming the shooter does his part. Might it be a Springfield Range Officer? Another CZ? I've heard there are some phenomenal Glock 17s out there, but then I heard that the owner is an armorer and target shooter, and perhaps has gone through many different guns to find that one Glock that is totally awesome. I'm not looking for something like that, just the best out of the box pistol in 9mm. If it will shoot 1/2" or 1" groups at 50 yards with good ammo, that's a definite plus.

7. Taco Junkie

Taco Junkie Practically a saint

Pretty happy with this especially for the price. My best scores in NRA matches by third time out and they got better each week. Paid under $500 NIB but had to add shipping and FFL so about $550.
    [​IMG]

Cessna2050 and Pandaz3 like this.
  8. Berto

Berto woo woo

For 50yrd bullseye I'd probably lean toward the S&W 952 or one of the purpose built competition 1911s in 9mm.

K. Foster likes this.
  9. 45caldan

45caldan

Never forget the AMMO plays a huge role in accuracy!
    I have found most 147 grn loads shoot more accurately in my 9mms than other bullet weights but the next guy might say his shoot 124 grn better....

I had always figured that the better accuracy from the 147s may be because they are not trying to break the sound barrier so no sonic waves to deal with....

ModGlock17 and CDR_Glock like this.
  10. RandomGuy

RandomGuy

I've been thinking about a nice 9mm target model myself and have come down to either an HK Expert (or Elite if you can find one) or something from CZ like the Tactical Sport or one of the Custom Shop models like the Shadow CTS LS-B SAO model. All of these fall in or around the $1500 budget I've set for this pistol.

Truth be told, any of these will be more accurate than I am.

11. banger

banger

For this question, I will speak in generalities.

A decent QUALITY (i.e. Smith and Wesson, Sig, C.Z. etc) pistols will generally be able to keep their shots in a 3-5 inch group at 50 yards.

These pistols will generally cost in the range of 5-800 dollars.

A dedicated target type pistol will generally be able to keep it's shots in a 2-3 inch groups at 50 yards.

These pistols will generally run in the 1,500- 4,000 range.

The question you have to ask yourself is..... Are you able to shoot to a level where you can justify a MULTI THOUSAND Dollar purchase to gain some minute level of improvement.

It has long been my experience that only a TINY fraction of shooters, are able to approach the levels of accuracy that even standard pistols can provide.

Now, hopefully a story that is not too boring.

Back in the early 80's or so, I used to shoot with a fellow that was (to be kind) at best a "fair" shot.

During those days, there was a form of competition known as P.P.C..

So our lad buys a N.I.B. Smith and Wesson revolver, never fires it... Sends it out to one of the more famous custom smiths to have it "improved".

The action got tunes, a custom Extremely heavy Douglas barrel fitted, special custom sight, hammer bobbed for a faster lock time etc..

Well, our boy puts something on the order of $2,500 1980's Dollars into the project (a princely sum in those days), all in an attempt to "buy skill and accuracy".

Well, you have probably already guessed.... He could not shoot worth a damn before he sent it out... and, he could not shoot worth a damn when the pistol came back.

In MY OPINION.... if he had taken an equal amount of money, bought ammo, and spent more time on the range... He would have come much closer to the goal he attempted to simply buy with a custom made target pistol.

SwabbyK, Cessna2050, plp and 6 others like this.
  12. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

Nice. I've had my eye on those for a while. I've heard the trigger is meh. Hows the trigger out of the box?

13. ronin.45

ronin.45

Real bullseye accuracy- 952 or P210

Less expensive options- CZ TS, customized 1911, or 929

The real question is, are you capable of shooting any of them to their potential?

14. bac1023

bac1023

I'm fortunate enough to own all the top 9mms. I've bench tested them extensively.

The best bang for the buck is the CZ Tactical Sport. They run about $1200 or so brand new.

While it's not the most accurate, it can hold its own with guns costing many times more.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  15. Taco Junkie

It's no 1911 but it's better than my 19. I'd put it close to my VP9. But I have the XDm 3.8 .45 so I was a little familiar with what to expect.

It would be the second thing I changed on it though (I put Talon grip on already)

16. JoeCitizen

JoeCitizen

I would second the P210. Also the Sig X5/X6. My Sig P229 in 9mm is incredibly accurate. I can only imagine what sig can do when making a purpose built target model.

17. Taco Junkie

I had to check out the CZ Tac Sport. Nice! Look at this one
    [​IMG]

Kidder likes this.
  18. bac1023

bac1023

That's the TS Orange.

19. Smooth_squeeze

Smooth_squeeze

Truth be told, I'm looking for a quality 9mm that I can shoot peaches or oranges at 50 yds. if I do my part. While my eyes aren't what they used to be, if I mount scope or optic on it, I can shoot "good enough," even at longer ranges. Hence my question about "the most accurate" etc.

Ammo is key, I know. So too is trigger squeeze, etc. etc. etc. Been there, done that. I get it. I also want to find a much better than average semi-auto at a great price, if that is possible.

First things first. First need to know what others have to say regarding the reputation of the guns regarding accuracy, without looking for a target pistol costing thousands. Then will look into fitting an optic/scope to it. Figure out overall what I'm getting into, and then decide.

20. Smooth_squeeze

Smooth_squeeze

Just the kind of response I was hoping to find! Thank you, sir!