Glock Talk banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Its not what I am comfortable with distance wise it is what your local prosecutor deems as SD distances. It is generally the distance they hold a police officer too involved in shooting. Where I live 21 ft out is about the distance. In other words how long will it take prep to be on you with a knife. Around here Distances farther away will be said you could escape. Some guy in a mall with a rifle would be a different situation. The prosecutor will want you to prove shooter was an immediate threat. Different places different distances. Are you familiar with the 21ft rule? Maybe do a little homework in that,
“The Importance of the 21 Foot Rule for a Legal Defense”
The Tueller drill was never intended to designate 21 feet was a “safe” distance nor to be made into a rule. It’s simply a drill about reaction times and to get officers to think about how fast distances can close during a fight.

It’s a great drill, but using it as a guide, especially a legal guide for SD shootings might not be a wise thing. I’ve never known a DA who “held” officers to anything Tueller related, and any department I know of would blow a gasket if they tried. So far as I know, linear distance isn’t mentioned in a single use of force statute anywhere in the nation. (Though I am not cognizant of all of them)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts