Glock Talk banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Its not what I am comfortable with distance wise it is what your local prosecutor deems as SD distances. It is generally the distance they hold a police officer too involved in shooting. Where I live 21 ft out is about the distance. In other words how long will it take prep to be on you with a knife. Around here Distances farther away will be said you could escape. Some guy in a mall with a rifle would be a different situation. The prosecutor will want you to prove shooter was an immediate threat. Different places different distances. Are you familiar with the 21ft rule? Maybe do a little homework in that,
“The Importance of the 21 Foot Rule for a Legal Defense”
Tueller drill is relevant to blunt weapon and physical attacks in it's demonstration of action versus reaction times. The exceptions are hardly limited to guys in malls with rifles though. Any ranged weapon in the hands of an attacker throws the 21ft appropriate SD response distance out the window and many criminals use guns too. If I can hit you at 50, 75, 100y with a pistol, then I must anticipate so can my attacker. Does that range necessarily justify my shooting based on situational differences? No. But neither does 7y, and a measuring tape won't be the measure by which I will be judged. Totality of circumstance and perception of my reasonableness will.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts