close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mossberg Persuader 12 ga., Pistol Grip

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by CanyonMan, Nov 23, 2002.

1. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Hey guys,

i would like to know if any of you actually "own," or have fired the mossberg Persuader 12 ga. with the heat shied and the 'pistol grip' handle?

How do you like it?... pro's/ con's
    How is the felt recoil?...& controlability.
    How durable does it seem to be?

I want to chunk one in the pickup/legal in Tx. loaded or not.

I 'am not' interested in the 'full stock,' only the pistol grip.

anyone able to answer these questions for me?

Thanks in advance!

CanyonMan

2. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Have owned a full-stock 500. My brother now has it. Good gun, very reliable/durable etc (the military replaced it's 870s with the Mossberg 500, and then the 590) and I've shot the pistol grip model about 20 rounds.

Past 10 yards, I couldn't hit a thing. Recoil with real as opposed to birdshot loads, was not fun.

If you want the short length, get a folding stock. It'll help tremendously. And Knoxx Industries makes a folding stock with a recoil reducer built in. Supposed to work great, costs about $90.

3. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

MrMurphy,

Man i appreciate your responce.
    I was talking with a firearms instructor friend of mine today about the pistol grip model, and he said the same thing you did, but added."it will make your hand and wrist really hurt!"

He also suggested about the same as you did.

I'm getting to old (51), and to many injured bones, and damage to the joints, to need any more pain..ha

so, tahnks, and i will take you guys advice and stick with folding stock or full stock, and chunk it behind the truck seat.

thanks again!

CanyonMan

4. Timor

Timor

Both my brother and I own Mossberg 500s with pistol grips and heat shields.
    I shoot mine by holding it at waist height with the right wrist pressed against the right hip. This allows the body to aid in controlling the recoil, which is noticeable.
    Aiming is achieved by allowing peripheral vision to align the muzzle with the target. When shot this way at 25 feet it doesn't do a 2 foot square piece of cardboard any good at all.
    These things are awesome home defense weapons as they are short, have massive damage potential without as much worry concerning overpenetration, and they are very intimadating looking. (And if I ever need it, hopefully that will be enough.)
    I think that a full stock shotgun would be a better choice for outside or vehicle use (ie police), but I really like mine for inside the house.

Hope this helps.

5. noway

noway

Great for HD and justing plain shooting put since it a true "shoot from the waist" you are limited to 10-15yrds or less distance. Birdshot is okay out of them, but Buck will throw you around quite abit.

You could buy it and and add a full stock later on.

6. MrMurphy

As to overpenetration, birdshot or buck WILL go through multiple walls just like pistol rounds.

Choate makes a nice side-folding stock with a 3-round shell-holder on it that's pretty cool. ATI Gunstocks make a top-folder with the same capability, both run about $40 or $50 I think.

7. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Guys i appreciate all the advice here...
    I have decided to stick with the 'full stock model' and #1 or #2 buckshot..........

CanyonMan

8. MrMurphy

From the various shootings I've seen, and conversations with others, 00, 000 Buck are the most effective, with No.4 Buck coming in third. I prefer the new Hornady TAP 00 Buck low recoil, it has a single-hole group at 15-20 yards from my Benelli Nova, and at 30 yards, a conventional no-flyer pattern. Federal Tactical Buck is good too, as is Estate and S&B.

9. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

MrMurphy,

Yeah, about the time i clicked the button to make my last post, i kinda figured i needed to go with about what you just suggested.....!
    I will!

Thanks.

CanyonMan