close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mossberg For Hunting?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by crater, May 19, 2003.

1. crater

crater NRA Member

Just put a Mossberg 500 in layaway, mostly for home protection as it comes with a 18in barrell and pistol grips. A couple of questions since this is my first shotgun. What do you recommend for home protection? I've heard 00 buck. Also with the standard stock, could I use this for skeet shooting and hunting of anykind? Onc last question, can a light be mounted on this gun, and where can I purchase a saddle to attach to the stock to hold addition shells?

Thanks in advance for your help to this shotgun newbie.

2. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

The Mossberg 500 is a good gun. I prefer the Remington 870 for it's steel reciever. But, other than that, I like the Mossy's just fine.

You can skeet shoot with an 18" barrel, but a 28" barrel would work better. It will hold a tighter pattern than an 18" barrel.

If you are worried about over-penetration (killing your wife in the next room type of thing), then use bird shot for HD. If not, 00 buckshot is nice. :)

You can pick up a sidesaddle from just about anywhere. Do a search on the web.

3. commander

commander

Yes, the 18" Mossy will do for hunting but here's a link to some better barrel options. http://www.mossberg.com/acatalog/pricebarrels.htm
    Check the game laws in your area. Federal law requires you use a plug to restrict your gun to 3 rounds for hunting migratory birds. For HD you'll want to remove the plug. IMHO put the pistol grip in the box of holsters & stuff you don't use.

I keep low recoil oo buck from Rem or WW in mine for HD.

4. BrianDamage

BrianDamage YouTalkin'ToMe?

I've got a Mossy...keep it under the bed with its 18.5" barrel and alternately loaded with 00 Buck and slugs.

when dove season rolls around, I throw the 28" barrel on

have been known the to throw the 18.5" and load it with slugs for deer season a couple of times (never saw anything though:( )

5. G Man .40

G Man .40 13 .40 + 1=G23

Mossberg 500 is a good weapon. I recommend OO buck for home protection. This also depends on if you live in a house or apartment. Either way you have to watch shot placement for people on the other side of the walls.

6. crater

crater NRA Member

Thanks for all the replies. Good information. Don't have a wife that I have to worry about killing(got three ex's that the thought has come to mind) As I do live in an apartment, the bird shot sounds like a good idea for HD.

How is the recoil with the bird shot with the pistol grips?

Thanks again.

Which I knew how to insert some smilies for you all...

7. BrianDamage

BrianDamage YouTalkin'ToMe?

see that box when you reply to the left that says "smilies"? just click on the one you want and it inserts automatically. There are more listed if you click "get more" at the bottom of the box. ;=