Mossberg 500 feeding issue

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Current Resident, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Current Resident

Current Resident

I've acquired another 500 but this one has an issue with feeding.

I csn load 5 in the magazine, when I operate the action a round will actually come out the feeding slot and onto the floor.

Does anyone have any experience fixing this.

What is the root cause?

What parts to replace?

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Thank you, Elwood

2. Joab

Joab

My 500 just started doing that also.

3. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Your shell elevator/lifter should come down to pick up the shell released by the interrupter when you cycle the action to the rear and will lift it into position to be pushed into the chamber by the bolt when you push the forearm forward. If you elevator isn't moving correctly something is wrong.

4. jhooten

jhooten NRA Life Member

Does it feed one and dump one or just dump one on the floor?

Either way, the first thing I would do before changing any parts on a used gun would be a detail strip and through cleaning of all the parts.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  5. Current Resident

Current Resident

It's does both. I bought it used and once I got it home I did a detailed field strip. I bought it knowing there was an issue, now I can't figure why it doesn't feed proper.

6. Z71bill

Z71bill

Did / do you already have one gun that is the same model as the gun you just bought?

I don't know how a Mossberg goes together -

But can you pull the whole trigger guard assembly out of one gun and put it in the other? I can do this with my 870 - and I assume Mossberg is similar.

If you swap this assembly between guns and the problem moves - you have at least narrowed it down - and eliminated some other possibilities.

7. Z71bill

Z71bill

If I had to guess - I would say the carrier dog assembly spring is defective / weak.

If a Mossberg has a carrier dog assembly spring - that would be my guess -

If it doesn't have a carrier dog assembly spring then it would be something else.:headscratch:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  8. jhooten

jhooten NRA Life Member

Parts 43, then 42, then 41, then 40 in the following diagram:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Shotguns-37443/500-41910/PartsList-34118.htm?results=All

Part 42 is the cartridge stop. It releases the first shell from the mag tube on to part 40 the lifter.

Part 43 is the cartridge interrupter. Its job is to catch the second shell as the first is released. If the first shell is released on to the lifter and the second goes under the lifter, falling out the loading port this is the part that is most likely bad.

Part 41 is the bolt slide. It activates the cartridge stop, the cartridge interrupter, and the lifter. If it is worn function can be unpredictable causing either of both issues to occur.

Part 40 is the lifter. It can wear. If so it usually causes the first shell to dump.

To replace all for is going to take almost a full c note.

Get a couple dummy shells, load them in the tube, turn the gun upside down and watch through the loading port as you slowly cycle the action. You may be able to figure out which one is the problem by watching it work.

Hope this helps.

Current Resident likes this.
  9. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Unless you are good at fixing things like this just send it in. I have heard good and bad things about Mossberg customer service (mainly that it can be slow at times) but I have also NEVER heard someone complain that Mossberg charged them to fix an old gun or a gun they bought used etc. Most of the stories regarding things like this they fix it and ship it back in 10 -14 days under warranty. Even guns clearly outside their 10 year warranty. So send it in USPS...no FFL needed. Cost about $25 with insurance.

They will fix it and send it back. Done, easy.

huskerbuttons likes this.