Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have read quite a few great comments on the Mossberg 500 series HD shotguns. When I looked at the Mossberg site about all the models they show have a pistol grip or the chainsaw doo-hickey.

I'd like to know what the differences are between the 500 and the 590. The 590 seems to have the longer barrel and 9 shot capacity, is that the only thing?

In your view is the 500 just as capable as the 590 and the 590A1?

Thanks

Nalajr

·
1 man wolf pack
34 Posts
it really depends on what you want. the 590 will have a slightly smoother action. they hold up to 9 rounds, instead of the 8 max for the 500. they have a bayonet lug attachment, and i believe the trigger guard is upgraded to aluminum among a few other things, perhaps the safety too. they are slightly heavier, but you can do the same upgrades to both, as the parts are interchangeable. if you like to tinker id recommend a base model 500. if you want an off the shelf HD gun, id go 590.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
The main difference between the 500 and 590 is the way the barrel attaches to the magazine tube. On the 500 there is a screw that goes into the tube. On the 590 there is a cap that screws around the outside of the tube. This means that you cannot remove the mag spring on a 500 without removing the tube from the receiver. The 590A1 models have the thicker barrel, metal safety, and metal trigger guard. Whether those changes are worth the extra cost and weight is debatable. All three models have the same aluminum receiver.

·
"The Sarge"
758 Posts
The 590A1 is all Mil-Spec. The only shotgun to repeatedly pass all the US military trials. I will only buy the 590A1. Bill

·
Registered
147 Posts
The main difference between the 500 and 590 is the way the barrel attaches to the magazine tube. On the 500 there is a screw that goes into the tube. On the 590 there is a cap that screws around the outside of the tube. This means that you cannot remove the mag spring on a 500 without removing the tube from the receiver. The 590A1 models have the thicker barrel, metal safety, and metal trigger guard. Whether those changes are worth the extra cost and weight is debatable. All three models have the same aluminum receiver.
I've had a question that's been bugging me about the 500...how hard would it be to remove the mag tube from a 500 if the spring needed replacing?

I mean could it be done at home with the right tools or would it need to be sent to a gun smith?

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
The 590A1 is all Mil-Spec. The only shotgun to repeatedly pass all the US military trials. I will only buy the 590A1. Bill
I've actually never even seen an M590 in service. Only M500s, Win1200s, and a few M870s.

:dunno:

I mean could it be done at home with the right tools or would it need to be sent to a gun smith?
The spring is simple to replace without removing the tube. The tube is simple to replace too.

Flat screwdriver is the only tool required for both.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've actually never even seen an M590 in service. Only M500s, Win1200s, and a few M870s.

:dunno:

The spring is simple to replace without removing the tube. The tube is simple to replace too.

Flat screwdriver is the only tool required for both.
I thought that they were annealed into place.

Thanks for the info.

·
In the STL
3,766 Posts
The mag tube on my 500 unscrews from the receiver with a firm twist. The end of the tube is threaded and screws into the receiver. I think when new they have some kind of locktite on the threads which I've heard of people heating up that area with a heat gun to soften up the thread locker before twisting the tube off.

I don't use thread locker when putting it back on, just screw it in hand tight to the receiver. It's never unintentionally loosened up on me in over 20 years of being like that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The mag tube on my 500 unscrews from the receiver with a firm twist. The end of the tube is threaded and screws into the receiver. I think when new they have some kind of locktite on the threads which I've heard of people heating up that area with a heat gun to soften up the thread locker before twisting the tube off.

I don't use thread locker when putting it back on, just screw it in hand tight to the receiver. It's never unintentionally loosened up on me in over 20 years of being like that.
I wouldn't want to risk it, knowing my luck the tube would fall off when I tried to rack another round in a really bad situation.

One thing I've been thinking about doing is buying a Mossberg 510 later on and getting a standard length magazine tube, such should allow the barrel from a 50455 (.410 cruiser) to work with the 510.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can a mag extension be added to the 500 if you got one of the standard length models and wanted to upgrade it?

Thanks

Nalajr

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The only way to upgrade the 500's capacity is to replace the tube and barrel together since the barrel is made to lock in to the tube at a certain point. The Mossberg 500 persuader has a 7 round tube instead of the standard 5. If you get a persuader tube and barrel you can upgrade a 500 by putting both on, but given the cost of both, it's probably easier just to buy a persuader unless you just already own and are invested into a 500.

I believe the 590 can take tube extensions though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
On the 500 you just need to grab the END of the tube where it is solid "also where the bbl attaches to the tube" in a vise or use a strap wrench and unthread it from the receiver . 500s have come with metal safety's and trigger guards . And if you don't have them they can be purchased aftermarket .
If you already have a 500 you can purchase tons of acc for it .
Brownells sells the extended mag tube and bbl combo along with the metal safety's and trigger guard along with quiet a few diff stocks
Lots of vendors have lots of 500 parts

If you don't have a 500 laying around a 590 may be the way to go, not sure how much they go for

1 - 13 of 13 Posts