close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mosin Scout project... need help..

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Jacobdw, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Jacobdw

Jacobdw

2. nnickatnight

nnickatnight

Is there a reason you want or need the scout scope mount instead of a regular mount? That scout scope mount looks like the one that replaces the sight and pins in the sight hole. They are not sturdy and will move around, I would steer clear. If you check ebay look at this item 60393109343. It's a ww 2 traditional mount that also has a see thru channel so your iron sights are still functional. It's drilled and tapped and will be rock solid when fitted. I've done this project along with a turned down bolt and it's exceptional and I have a contact to do the bolt if you need. The scout scope with that mount will leave you very disappointed with accuracy.

3. Jacobdw

Jacobdw

ok... I dont know why, Im just wary of drilling and tapping, I just feel like it could depreciate the value of the gun later on. Ill check out that thing on ebay, thanks

4. Jacobdw

Jacobdw

item # doesnt work...

5. farley45

farley45

Its a 91/30...one of the cheapest rifles to get out there and why it is a great project rifle.

6. nnickatnight

nnickatnight

Look for the russian PE mount. Drilling and tapping is the only way to really securely mount the scope. There tons of those rifles around so collector value isn't really an option.

7. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Please don't drill and tap a Mosin It will ruin what little value it has, I know they were made in the millions and the can be had for under 100 dollars but if you want a shooter to be accurate get a Remington 700 or something like that, I have my Mosins to play with, and My Remington 700 to shoot/hunt with, however in the end it's your rifle to do what ever you please with, I was just giving you my two cents
    Regards
    DW

8. nnickatnight

nnickatnight

The point is you can achieve Remington 700 accuracy with the right mount, scope, and ammo at a lot less money. It was a sniper rifle in ww 2. there was no difference between the sniper and infantry model except for the scope, mount, and turned down bolt. If you want a collectors rifle than the Mosin isn't it anyway, go look at a kahr 98 or springfield 1903. I you want a great shooter with modern day accuracy at a cheap price the mosin is great. I was just giving the OP the correct info since I have done this project already, I can send a pic of the finished product if you would like to see it.

9. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Considering it's very hard to lose money on a Mosin Nagant, I'd suspect a scout conversion wouldn't ruin any supposed 'value'.

And it's not a bad idea at all, if you want utility for cheap. I've got a .30-06 with an 18.5 inch barrel and it's a real handy size. And scoped, cost me most of a grand. Having the same utility for half price or less seems thrifty and smart to me.

10. nnickatnight

nnickatnight

You got that right. When you can buy a good shooter for $70-$80 bucks how much collector's value is there? My Mosin with the right ammo shoots as well as any of my other hunting rifles, which is why I use the Mosin more and more. Hell, when AIM surplus had them at $69.00 each I bought six!

11. Unistat

Unistat

To the original question, I have that mount for my Mosin. I do not like NCStar, I am not confident that they will hold up to the punishment of the 7.62x54R. I ended up with a BSA Edge pistol scope.
    I also have the Mosin in an ATI synthetic stock, but regardless if you replace it or keep the original stock, know that the scope and mount are going to be higher off the bore. You will need some way to raise the comb to get a proper cheak weld.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  12. JGguns

JGguns

I have a burris scout scope on my M44. Here is my setup

[​IMG]

13. mixflip

mixflip

I think the best way to answer this is to ask a person who actually has this mount....and I do.

It has 3 set screw pins that can be dabbed with loctite and will not move once zero'ed. Its like a tetter totter with a jack on both ends...it wont move once locked down.

I run a long eye relief scope which works fine inside of 100 yards. Maybe 200 yards if I really do my part with a bench and bean bags.

My opinion is that its a great option if you are not ready to drill and tap a side mount. Here is mine with a few other mods and parts. The bent bolt handle is a MUST have for the Mosin shooters. Worth the $50 bucks I spent on ebay for it years ago. The screw mounted bent handle just doesnt compare to the actual bent handle.

I removed the bayonet. I couldnt even use it if I wanted to with the AK74 style muzzle break on it. I hate the barrel clamped bipod but at the time thats all I had.

[​IMG]

14. RHVEtte

RHVEtte

nnickatnight, could you post pics? The item # doesn't work, and all I'm finding are scout scopes and $300 PU scope sets.
    ETA: If you look at my sig, you'll notice I have a 91/30. It has the scout scope mount with a BSA long eye relief scope and it DOES NOT hold zero at all, hence my reason for checking this thread.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  15. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Try a scout configuration before you buy/build a scout configuration.

I have a Steyr scout, which I tried and then un-scouted. I love the rifle, but my eyes and that scope didn't work. So I moved the scope to a different project.

My forward mounted EOTech is something else. I like pushing it forward.

If I was going to try scouting again, I would look at good variable powered pistol scopes.

16. nnickatnight

nnickatnight

My set up on a 91/30. I've got several other scoped weapons and in my humble opinion if you have to loctite a mount it's not going to stay as rigid as a drilled and tapped mount. I consulted numerous gunsmiths before I set out on my project and ALL of them told me steer clear of the scout set up due to movement and you have now rendered your iron sights useless. I use mine for hunting so it's a realistic possibility that the gun could be dropped, bumped, etc. and render your scope useless. There were two types of mounts used in WW2 for that weapon, a PU mount and a PE mount. I personally like the PE mount however, it requires stock modifications also. Both are available on ebay. I'm not knocking the other guys set up, if it works for him great, I didn't want to take chances. PM me your email and I'll send some pics, the files are too big for here!

17. nnickatnight

nnickatnight

Pics sent, feel free to post em if you can shrink the file size. BY the way the bolt work can be done for about $55.00. That includes bending the bolt to your preference(he offers several styles) and mirror polishing the bolt and ALL internals. That's a bargain in my book!