close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mosin Nagant? Which one? V. Rem 700?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by alfred10, Jan 16, 2010.

1. alfred10

alfred10

What are the differences between Mosins? I like the shorter one with the attached bayonet. Can the bayonet come off and hurt you if you fire it when it is folded. What is the difference in accuracy between the barrel lengths.

Wast this an infantry and sniper rifle? How many yards are they good for? Is this considered the most reliable bolt action? Is it more reliable than a Rem 700 series? How many rounds could you possibly fire to ware it out?

2. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

Leave the bayo on the M44, and yes can shoot it with the bayo extended.

More info here http://7.62x54r.net/

3. Dr. Leaky

Dr. Leaky Know-It-All

The shorter one with the attached bayonet would be the M44 and it was designed to be shot with the bayonet extended (your point of aim changes). It's not really practical in everyday shooting but does have a wow factor. More practical is the M38 which is just about identical except it doesn't have the attached bayonet. The only Mosin I've seen as a sniper is the much longer M91-30. These rifles were built to last and, unless you let the corrosive ammo do it's ugly work, should be able to handle more rounds than you'd be comfortable shooting. Lots of info here: http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?3-The-Collector-s-Forum-Mosin-Nagant-HQ

4. TrooperBrian

TrooperBrian

Its not really fair to compare a Mosin to a MODERN bolt action like the 700. Naturally the 700 would be far superior in every aspect.

The modern barrels, metals, and steels can withstand about 20,000 rounds of small arms .308, although that doesn't keep the superstitious benchrest shooters from changing barrels ridiculously soon, some as soon as 1000 rounds.

5. HCRoadie

HCRoadie Rock or Suck?

The 91/30 Mosins are everywhere and a great bang for your buck deal. For $100 to $130 you can find unissued, still in casmoline, great condition rifles. There are a few that were set up to be "sniper" rifles. They will have a scope mounted on them and a turned down, or bent, bolt handle. These are in the $300 to $400 range and a lot harder to find. Which ever type you end up with, you will find yourself really enjoying it.
    http://7.62x54r.net
    http://www.mosinnagant.net/i3tro4.asp

6. Sampo

Sampo

I agree, they really are two different beasts. As stated earlier, the M91/30 was used as a Scout/Sniper rifle although altered at the armory with a bent bolt handle and a affixed scope. While the standard M91 and Scout versions are the same rifle, the Scout version is far more rare than the standard and will demand up to five times the price of an average M91. Good news however, there are a multitude of aftermarket upgrades that will convert a standard M91 into the sniper variant.

Any version of the Mosin (M44, M91...) will be a beast of a rifle as they were built to last.

7. Six4Sure

Six4Sure

I have a 91/30. The action is about as smooth as sandpaper, but like most Russian weaponry, the thing will out last the shooter. I picked mine up from Big 5 for about 100 bucks with tax. It is pretty damn accurate for what it is, it would drop a Nazi. The sights are a bit different. It was a Tula built round receiver.

[​IMG]

I would say it is equivalent to a 30-06 as far as kick. Mine has a metal butt, so that compounds the shoulder soreness.

Your best bet would to be buy a bulk tin of ammo from a surplus place like AIM. I bought the rifle for 100 dollars and paid 20 dollars for 20 junk lacquer coated milsurp rounds. You can get 440 for 100 dollars or so. Remember this is corrosive ammo, so you need to clean it well.

Its a good gun to take to the range and let your friends fire.

8. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

There are two weights of ammo, and the 91 handles the heavier bullet best, the only Mosin Nagant that prefers it, as far as I know.

In any case it's the longer barrel that makes the difference, and 'yellow tip' heavy bullet ammo is what I've seen work.

I'd sporterize it to the extent of installing a 'cut to fit' R3 pad, and your choice of optics and mounts, before I'd call it a keeper, but if you'll make it comfy to shoot it IS a keeper.

Just start with a *good* clean bore, and keep it that way, or expect to rebarrel it in a few years. I've wondered how much trouble it'd be to rebarrel a '91 to .30-06 but it smelled expensive.

9. oldfort

oldfort

Here is the way they stack up. The Mod 44's are like a loud dragon at dusk.

Carbines
    Mod 38
    Mod 44 (bayonet)
    Mod 91/59 (cut down 91)

Rifles:
    Mod 91/30 (purty, Hex receiver preferred)
    Mod 39 Finn (unpurty, but had to shoot in 1 1/4" to be issued)

Go to "Milsurpshooter.net" for more info. Good luck.

FWIW, some here compare the Rem 700 design as being better. It is for sporting and range work. This rifle design was introduced in 1891 and these rifles are still being used for defense in the middle east.

10. Six4Sure

Six4Sure

Forgot to mention that. They are still being fielded in Afghanistan:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010