MOS vs Slide Milling?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Wishbone.'., Dec 10, 2019.

1. Wishbone.'.

Wishbone.'.

Man that’s a good looking pistol! Why did you opt for BUIS forward?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okiegtrider likes this.
  2. Wishbone.'.

Wishbone.'.

Yes I’m looking at Battle Werx. I just wonder is BUIS forward (shorter sight radius) makes the pistol less accurate if you had to use them?

3. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

So, from my point of view, the last question is the ultimate and final deciding factor. Money.

You seem to prefer the milled route, and have several good recommendations and options from people who have had quality work done. Worst case scenario, the slide comes back and you aren't happy but you can't just buy an OEM replacement slide... how big of a negative impact is that on your cash flow? What if you decide on a new optic in two years? Are you able and willing to buy a new gun without angst?

If it is something you can easily absorb financially (and given you do prefer the milling) I think that milling sounds like the way to go for you! If it is financially going to be a potential hardship or if the advantages aren't worth the costs to you, I would take that into consideration.

Good luck! If you have it done, please post pictures so we can all see and learn from your adventure!

Wishbone.'. likes this.
  4. Wishbone.'.

Wishbone.'.

Thanks! Definitely will post pictures. Just need the gun first . That should happen within the next week or so.

boilergonzo likes this.
  5. velvetant

velvetant

Maybe a little depending on the skill of the shooter, but in a self defense situation I'm not concerned at all. I like how the rear sight forward protects my optics as in my previous post.
    A civilian having to use his/her weapon in self defense is pretty small. And the chance of the RMR failing at that exact moment...even smaller.
    You can spend all day arguing "what if" scenarios but the RMR is the least of my worries if I'm forced to use my weapon.

6. Wishbone.'.

Wishbone.'.

I’m liking the idea of forward sights more and more.

7. Wishbone.'.

Wishbone.'.

So I just left the gun shop empty handed. I came close to buying a G-19. They didn’t have a G-19 MOS in stock. They did have the G-45 MOS and I really liked it. It fit my hand so well but since I’m going to carry the gun I decided wait and think about it for a day or two. I think I would have walked out of the store with the G-19 MOS had they had one but honestly I can’t make up my mind. I feel foolish like the decision ought to be easy.

8. SonOfa91B

SonOfa91B feel-good bubble buster

I’d be willing to wager that for many, a carry gun is no easy decision. I’m sure many have gone through a few different options, myself included, before arriving at their optimum carry gun(s). Take your time, there’s no need to rush the purchase.

SO91B

oldmick and Wishbone.'. like this.
  9. Wishbone.'.

Wishbone.'.

Thanks! Makes me feel a little better lol

10. okiegtrider

okiegtrider

Thanks. I went irons forward on this gun, it's my second one, to give it a try. Some say the rear sight forward protects the RMR some. For me, it presents a little less cluttered sight picture. The downside is irons forward makes an already short sight radius even shorter, exaggerating sighting errors. Short radius makes it all the more important that the shooter execute the fundamentals correctly.

Wishbone.'. likes this.
  11. David Frost

David Frost

I have had no problems with the MOS with the C&H plate whatsoever.

Wishbone.'. likes this.
  12. Wishbone.'.

Wishbone.'.

What height sights did you use with the C&H?

13. GWG19

GWG19

I have Glock’s set for red dots. A 21 that I had cut for a red dot and a 40 MOS. Many brands of red dots share the same bolt pattern btw.
    The 40 has around 300 rounds of 10mm through it with loss of zero.
    David Bowie did my 21 cut it for a Docter Optic. Whole bunch of rounds through it with no issues.

My take on it is that you won’t go wrong buying a MOS.
    You won’t go wrong with a quality slide milling, done buy a competent gunsmith.

Rear sights in front of the red dot suck!

Wishbone.'. and xTerpx like this.
  14. GunsNweights87

GunsNweights87

It shouldn’t matter where the irons are you don’t look at them anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk

15. wruess

wruess

Exactly. Irons can be in a drawer somewhere. For me, they're just in in the way, once you're used to the red dot.

Wishbone.'. likes this.
  16. Wishbone.'.

Wishbone.'.

So I’ve been looking at a bunch of MOS videos and it seems the sights sit very low. I know you can get different height sights. Is there any advantage to milling as far as co-witness, or if I want to turn the Optic off and just use the irons?

17. okiegtrider

okiegtrider

Wishbone: If you haven't already, you may want to check out Aaron Cowan's series of videos on using rds on handguns. I found him very helpful when I went through the same process you are now of figuring out what you want in a red dot handgun combination. He's a big proponent of RDS for duty use, but I think, pretty practical about the limitations of different products. Some think he's a little over the top with his evaluation process. Personally, I'm glad he does what he does with them. I sure couldn't afford to abuse them the way he does.

Chances are, once you decide on something, after you use it for a while, you may discover that there is something you might do different in the future. First gun I had milled, the BUIS in the rear, second one, BUIS in front of the dot. If I do another, I might want a little larger dot. There's always something and really not a one size fits all solution.

Friend of mine did me a good turn when he loaned me his RMR equipped G23 for a month or so. Managed to get to the range with it a few times in that time. Spent some quality time with the set up figuring out how it worked for me, carried it daily in that time, and spent a lot of time dry firing it and working on finding the dot upon presentation. Before I gave it back to him, I'd already ordered my first slide milled, and an RMR from ATEi.

Get your hands on one, spend some time with it, have fun with the process.

Wishbone.'. likes this.
  18. David Frost

David Frost

I used the Trijicon Suppressor Sights. Make sure you don't just get the MOS sights from Trijicon. They will be too short when used with the RMR.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Wishbone.'. likes this.
  19. Wishbone.'.

Wishbone.'.

Thanks for this great post. I will check out the videos you mentioned.

okiegtrider likes this.
  20. Wishbone.'.

Wishbone.'.

Pulled the trigger today! G-19.5 MOS. Had to order it and should be here mid next week. I decided I couldn’t go wrong with the MOS as a first red dot pistol especially with so much still to learn. I really appreciate all the input given in this thread! Now I’ve got to decide on an optic and MOA...let the study begin