MOS Burris Fastfire III cowitness problem..

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers/Lights' started by Shaquanda, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Shaquanda

Shaquanda

Looking for a solution I have a MOS glock with a Burris Fastfire III with some Ameriglow suppressor height sights. Ideas? Solutions? Is there a plate that is thinner? Will a smith be able to drill and tap for the Fastfire? I don't want new optics or taller sights if I can help it. I have thought about a shield/jpoint with the 65 MOA circle but not at $320-500 +, is an expense I rather avoid.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  2. Shaquanda

Shaquanda

Thus far I cant get an image to load other than my avatar

3. Taz

Taz

Can't see your pictures and am not familiar with the thickness of the fastfire. Thinner plate = bad idea. There are already very few threads actually engaged to secure the dot to the plate.

Can you see the sights you already have on there, even if it's a low quarter or so?

4. Shaquanda

Shaquanda

The picture is my avatar, they are suppressor sights. I have linked to an image on photobucket and do not know why it does not show. I am Running updated chrome on windows 7. [​IMG]

5. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Many people seem to prefer having their slides properly and professionally milled for a specific red dot sight instead of the "one size fits several" adaptor plate system of Glock's MOS. And then choosing suppressor sights accordingly.

6. cciman

cciman Mr. Spock

describe the problem...suppressor sights too low?

7. Shaquanda

Shaquanda

That is a matter of perspective I can not see the sights over the optic they may very well be tall enough to see over a suppressor without the optic and tall enough to see over other optics but in my case I can't co-witness. [​IMG]

8. Shaquanda

Shaquanda

Is this possible with an MOS slide? The 40 which I own is only available in MOS.

9. cciman

cciman Mr. Spock

Not at all? or just does not "co-witness" to your expectations?

Then it is easier to change out for taller "backup" sights. Most of the red dots are very similar- unless you have a very thick baseplate.

Rather than chasing down a blind rabbit hole, shoot it for 1000 rounds- you may decide to chase it more, or scrap it in a completely different direction.

Pictures would be more helpful for you.

Shaquanda likes this.
  10. Shaquanda

Shaquanda

No co witness at all... I can't see anything through the rear sight but the base of the optic. I keep trying to post pics but no luck let me try a link. https://ibb.co/f7r785

11. deathpriest

deathpriest

Which sights did you order?
    I am on the research phase for my G40 MOS with the FF3. Here is what I got from Ameriglo.....

"The heights of our sights for your application are as follows:

Front sight .407 in height
    Rear sight .507 in height"

Give them a call, they had done right by me in the past and that is why I keep coming back...

grecco likes this.
  12. fullmetal1911

fullmetal1911

The burris fastfire is too tall for suppressor sights to properly cowitness. The only way around that is a custom milled slide for the fastfire. IMHO that would be absolutely idiotic to spend a few hundred bucks to run a (to put it nicely) "budget friendly" optic.

If you are dead set on a cheap red dot that will cowitness with suppressor sights the older Fastfire 2 will cowitness as will the newer Vortex Viper.

13. Shaquanda

Shaquanda

Ameriglo suppressor height sights for all glocks, unless you know something I do not I thought there was not another Ameriglo option and that all suppressor sights while not interchangeable between brands where not substantially different. If you find a solution and a holster that fits such tall sights I am interested otherwise, I may repurpose the fastfire.

14. Shaquanda

Shaquanda

You are correct milling the slide to fit a fastfire 3 is not an economical decision. As far as your relatively pejorative euphemism for the fastfire; I myself, friends and family have had good luck with fastfires of all three generations. The most extreme example is an ex-father-in-law with many thousands of rounds full power waterfowl with a gen 1 mounted to a benelli super black eagle, six years and many hunts in all conditions when I last had any contact with him, and the sight held up. I hesitate to buy a fastfire 2 as they cost more than I spent on the 3. I know nothing about the viper and doubt I will go that route. I have some vortex binoculars, (stellar for the money) a strike eagle and a strikefire I've had mixed results and thus far reserve vortex for the range toys. For now I will just merrily plug away and call it a proof of concept that if it meets my philosophy of use for this type of weapon system (pretentious mouthful) I will buy another sight that co witnesses, if not I have a seldom used gun of limited utility occupying some real estate in the safe. But as well as I shoot this gun I doubt that will happen.

15. Shaquanda

Shaquanda

Another idea just hit my little brain... Laser go all Stroker McGurk on on my gat? Am I just being silly?

16. deathpriest

deathpriest

I am not an expert, thats why I asked them. If you look at their site, they dont all look as tall. Once again, seems you are the one with the experience.

https://ameriglo.com/products/glock-suppressor-height-sets

Here is another thread were seems someone found something... second page, 2-3 posts down have some links to images
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/glock-40-mos-and-the-burris-fastfire-ii.1592052/

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  17. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Why do you think you need back up sights anyway? Open Division USPSA guns have been around for 30 years in competition, and nobody uses back up sights. While dots may look cool, they take serious discipline to draw to, and inside of 7 yards, you just look thru the window anyway.

[​IMG]

18. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Here are 2 of my Open Glocks, G24C on top, G17L 9 Major on the bottom, both with Trijicon Red Dots.

[​IMG]

19. Shaquanda

Shaquanda

Need is not really part of the equation, I don't need this gun, at the moment my carry guns are a Kahr .380 that is my always gun and a H&K P7M8 that is my most of the time gun. I'm not competing at the moment and wont be unless/until I can change jobs. This is a bear/zombie apocalypse TEOTWAWKI SHTF gun and the scenario where equipment failure is not an option. I know MDRS are pretty rugged reliable etc I also know I am faster with a pistol and irons. That said I'm needlessly spending money on weapon system I don't have well defined role/need for cuz 'Murica darn it!

20. Unicron

Unicron Millennium Member

just like deathpriest said, your sights don't look all that tall. there are several ameriglo suppressor height sights with different heights. The ameriglo GL-507 are pretty tall, in the below pic: 507's with a vortex venom.

a few holster sites will make you a holster with a tall sight channel.
    I know otghex.com will. i currently have one being made for me by regulationtactical.com

[​IMG]

NineseveN likes this.