Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, the Wilsons got quite the workout, 350+ rounds between the two. I actually started writing a range report, but it got so ridiculously long, that I gave up. Maybe I'll revisit it tomorrow, if there is any interest.

Anyway, here they are, already cleaned, loaded, and ready to resume carry duty.

·
Premium Member
22,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice Bucky!!
I’ve owned/shot plenty of Wilson’s, including the Berettas, but have yet to shoot what I assume is an X9 in your pic. How do you like it?
I love it. 15 round, light, reliable 1911 with no grip safety, what’s not to like?

·
NRA Life Member
5,256 Posts
I love it. 15 round, light, reliable 1911 with no grip safety, what’s not to like?
I shot one at the Heritage Guild in Easton when they had Wilson Combat come down for demos.... I was very impressed by it, but didn't care for the sights as much...but I haven't warmed up to fiber optics either..

Ergos, recoil and accuracy are very good...

·
Premium Member
22,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I shot one at the Heritage Guild in Easton when they had Wilson Combat come down for demos.... I was very impressed by it, but didn't care for the sights as much...but I haven't warmed up to fiber optics either..

Ergos, recoil and accuracy are very good...
I’ll admit, the sights are not my favorite, but better than most factory offerings. I much prefer a square notch rear, over a U notch rear. The elevation adjustment is nice.

Wilson offers a front night sight, which I’m considering.

·
NRA Life Member
5,256 Posts
I’ll admit, the sights are not my favorite, but better than most factory offerings. I much prefer a square notch rear, over a U notch rear. The elevation adjustment is nice.

Wilson offers a front night sight, which I’m considering.
Yep I had to get used to those sights at the range, but after a few rounds it wasn't too bad... Like you I am used to square rear sights as most of my guns have night sights.. Either Meps or Ameriglo.

But was it nice to be able to fire off 2 quick shots with minimal recoil...

·
Premium Member
22,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep I had to get used to those sights at the range, but after a few rounds it wasn't too bad... Like you I am used to square rear sights as most of my guns have night sights.. Either Meps or Ameriglo.

But was it nice to be able to fire off 2 quick shots with minimal recoil...
I'm getting used to them as well. I have the Trijicon HDs on my G19 and G43, and really like them. They are also a U notch.

Speaking of the 19, I should add that this range trip started with 4 guns. I had my P2000 and G19 Gen 4. I put one mag through the P2000, and it was pinching my finger, so I put it away after one magazine. Shame, as it's such a well built gun, but not the most comfortable to shoot, at least for me. As for the 19, I forgot to bring a magazine. :oops:

·
Premium Member
22,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The EDC X9:

This is my most recent acquisition. This was a gun I just had to have. About 15 years ago, a bunch of us were discussing what an ideal CCW would be. We were all USPSA shooters, and heavily invested in the 1911/20111 platforms. I said someone needs to make a wide body 1911 with the size and capacity of a Glock 19, and while they're at it, loose the grip safety (all our competition 1911s had deactivated grip safeties). So many, many years later when the EDC X9 was introduced, I knew I had to have one.

Impressions: So this is my 4th range outing with it, and I still feel like I'm getting used to it. It shoots less 1911ish than I'm used to, and I've shot many variations, including wide bodies by Para Ordnance, Caspian, and STI. I'm not saying it's any worse, just different. The grip is on the smaller side, but does feel wonderful in my hand. I do wonder if a larger back strap could change the way it feels when I shoot.

I figure after this range session, I'm somewhere around the 1000 round mark. So far not a single malfunction / issue of any kind. This range session was nothing fancy, just my standard reloads using various 147 grain bullets. The last session, however, included a box of 124g +P Speer Gold Dot and 2 boxes of 147g HST. That was the test for if it would be suitable to carry. I also conducted various limp wrist tests, and it passed without issue.

Accuracy with this gun is amazing, as should be expected. The fluted bull barrel is capable of some impressive groups if you do your part. As I mentioned, I'm still getting used to it, at least from a preciseness point of view. So my first few mags aren't as tight as they are once I get that familiarity with it. From a handling perspective, however, it's all second nature. This gun draws, points, and reloads like an absolute dream for me. Inserting a magazine is like glass. Even though the taper to the magazine well doesn't appear big, it works as well as guns with much bigger magazine wells. The empty magazine juts out with authority.

As for the design, not only is this a well built gun, but an extremely well thought out gun. From the way the back strap is held in place by the mainspring "cap", to the grips that lock into the gun solid, and do not require any screws. The top end comes apart with ease. Even though it has a full length guide rod, the guide rod and spring easily lift out from the bottom of the gun, just like on a Glock (Gen 1 anyway ;) ) or Beretta, and much unlike many other 1911s with full length guide rods. Reassembly is just as easy, and the slide stop pushes easily in place, once aligned properly. There is even an alignment grove to keep the slide stop from moving, causing the infamous 1911 "idiot mark".

The good, what can I say that hasn't already been said. Built great, shoots great, handles great, feels great in the hand, ease of assemble, disassemble, etc. Also, they also have a number of options for this gun. You can get one with a rail, or without, with our without front cocking serrations, small back strap / big back strap, different trigger options, naked slide, etc.

What would I change? I know a lot of people didn't like the "X-Tac" frame treatment, mostly due to looks. I don't tend to get too hung up on looks. That being said, they are not quite as grippy as I'd hope they'd be. I think if they offered traditional 25 per line checkering on the front and back strap, and Colt / Les Baer style cocking serrations on the slide, it would be a functional improvement. Also, the front sight appears to be attached in a similar manner to Glock, but is proprietary to this gun. I might had preferred using an existing style sight to allow for an already vast supply of existing aftermarket options. It would have been very cool if it used a Glock front sight, but not sure how that would work out in terms of patents, trademarks, and, well, ego. ;).

Overall, I am quite satisfied. I guess I should mention price. A gun built like this is not going to be a $1200 gun, and certainly not a $500 gun. It would be nice if it could come down closer to the $2K mark, but then I wouldn't want them to cheapen anything either, so I guess it is what it is. For the price tag, I would have liked them to include the extra back strap. :)

·
Premium Member
22,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 92G Compact:

Years ago I had a 92FS Compact. I really liked the gun, and felt it carried well due to its roundish profile. However, after an incident at a state IDPA match, where an applied 92 safety cost me enough time on a stage to make me realize, the 92 safety didn’t work for me. I regrettable sold the compact, and wished that someday they’d make a compact in a “G” configuration. So many years later when they did, I had to have one.

Impressions: This gun also points and shoots like a dream, and in my hand feels like an old friend. I've got several thousand rounds through it, and never had a hiccup with it, nor do I ever suspect to. Of the platforms I have high round counts through (Beretta, Glock, 1911/2011), I've had the least problems with the Beretta platform. This gun has also been very well vetted, with plenty of defense hollow points through it, and various limp wristing testes.

Accuracy with this gun is very good for a defensive firearm. Being I’m so used to the platform, my accuracy is good right from the start. I actually found as the range session went along, I got slightly worse with the 92 and better with the EDC. I make no illusions though, I suspect if I were to sandbag these two guns, the EDC would be far and away the more accurate of the two.

Reliability with this gun is absolutely stellar, as have been all my 92s. From target loads, to +P+ defense loads, never a hiccup and feeds smooth as glass. Never worry about brass to the head with this gun, and there is something nice the way this gun ejects empty brass, consistently, and with authority.

The good, this gun does have a lot of great enhancement features, over previous models. The frame has a beveled magazine well, and checkering on the front and rear straps. It has all steel parts, and the enhanced extended magazine release. It has the “D” spring installed from the factory, and the trigger pull is buttery smooth in DA and nice and crisp in SA. And most importantly, it’s decock-only!

What would I change? My biggest disappointment is, for the price tag, it still came with the standard, fixed, difficult to change front sight. At the least, Wilson could have drilled them for a fiber optic front (or even nicer tritium). You’ll note mine has the fiber optic sight, which I sent the slide to Wilson to have done. Another thing is the magazine. At this point in time, these should be coming with a 15 round magazine, as the overall length is not much different than the EDC X9 magazine. And finally, what is up with the lanyard loop? BTW: if anyone knows where I can get a flush fit mainspring cap for a 92 compact, let me know.

Overall, I am very pleased with this gun. I know there is a bit of hate towards DA/SA guns these days, but I’ve gotten quite used to them. Also, there is something comforting (to me) about a gun that is ready to fire, but has NO spring tension at work in its firing mechanism, particularly when carrying appendix. I’ve owned this one for a year and a half already, and it’s gotten a few thousand rounds, and quite a bit of carry time. I did sell my two previous 92 compacts (both FS models), this one is a keeper for sure.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
I'm getting used to them as well. I have the Trijicon HDs on my G19 and G43, and really like them. They are also a U notch.

Speaking of the 19, I should add that this range trip started with 4 guns. I had my P2000 and G19 Gen 4. I put one mag through the P2000, and it was pinching my finger, so I put it away after one magazine. Shame, as it's such a well built gun, but not the most comfortable to shoot, at least for me. As for the 19, I forgot to bring a magazine. :oops:
It's a telling statement, as my P2000 357 LEM is my favorite carry gun.
Looks a little funny with the XL backstrap.
But the resulting grip is kind of like my V-Bob.
And has less felt recoil with Underwood 1,475 GDHPs than my heavier/larger Sig P229?!?
Very much a personal preference thingy for me.

All that said, I love everything from Winson Combat I've rented.
Particularly the CQB.
So I'm interesting in your detailed range report :supergrin:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts