close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Morganton, NC Debriefing & Photo Thread

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Mar 27, 2010.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Please post your stories and photos here. I'm on my way to the match.:wavey::cool::wavey:

2. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

We got through shooting in RECORD time. My buddy and I were done by 10:15 or so? Wow, never woulda thought it. I really am not a fan of rushing, but my buddy was wanting to be home to do a church thing so we figured we'd see how fast we could get out.

We got there right at 8:30, I think they were doing the R.O. brief. The GSSF person (a lady, didn't know here name?) asked if we were pre-registered, which we were so she gave us our tickets after signing the waivers.

We went around and signed up at each COF, then loaded up some magazines, and asked the guys at the practice plates station if we could start shooting (8:45'ish?). They said "Sure!", so we each shot 5 mags. We then walked over to the Glock M course, and said "We're ready!", and were the 1st persons to shoot that course. In fact, I'm pretty sure that was the first LIVE course of fire shot for the day. We then walked over to the plates, and had nobody to wait for there. Walked over to the 5 to Glock, and had to wait for maybe 3/4 people to shoot, and we got our turn. I know most of top level guys like to leave the plates for last, but I like to leave the 5 to Glock for last, as I think it's the hardest (because of the further targets). So I shoot the others first and get into the groove, so I usually shoot the courses in the same order we did here.

It was 9:55, and I was on deck for Glock M, my buddy shot after me. I forgot to look at my phone (for the time) for the actual time, but I'm thinking it was 10:15 or so that we were finished. Heck... I wasn't even hungry enough to stop and try some of that BBQ I had last year as we had eaten breakfast at 8AM at McDonalds. So we left.

The R.O's, as usual, were SO VERY polite and friendly. We were joking with all of them. Introduced myself to Scott Gilbertson (the GSSF honcho running the show), he was running around taking care of things to make sure it was all flowing smoothly.

I won't try this again, though, as I definitely felt rushed. Shot a 78.xx in Am Civ, so that wasn't too bad, but feel like I could've done better had I been a bit more slow-paced. But it goes to show, that if you get there running, and have your ducks in a row, you can get in-and-out if you are trying to do so.

3. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

I was out by 1030 as well.

This was my first shoot and I wanted to see how it ran. I brought only one gun.
    I read through all the "stuff" on the GSSF website several times but much made no sense at all.
    I would have loved to have seen a demo first thing this AM. A round of practice for all new shooters would be great as well.
    I wasn't looking for a score, just the procedures.
    The range officials were very helpful. One fellow was so soft spoken I have no idea what he was saying. I said "What" several times. Finally I just loaded up and shot away.

Why do people keep asking me if I'm major major? If anything I'm more along the lines of General Confusion.

At least I now have an idea how I should be practicing.

What is the thinking behind the targets and their locations? Was this taken from another discipline?
    The plates seem like the most efficient way to run a shoot.

I have almost figured out the scoring system.

You guys better practice if you plan to outshoot me at the next one.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  4. DannyR

Well, we made it home from Morganton. It was a beautiful day at a beautiful range staffed by fantastic RO's. Trust me, there are none better, anywhere. Team PSS=Range.com made their debut appearance (Young, Ryan, LeRay). My 133, although not stellar, was my 3rd best score ever. Got to meet Ed and Don from Ed's Safety. They had a really nice display of merchandise for sale. Several vendors were present, including Burke County's greatest cooks.

Scott, Erin and Alan did their usual excellent job.

Best part of the match, as always, was seeing old friends and making new friends. I'll have more to say later, but I've been up since 0330 hours and have driven 420 miles today, so right now I need rest.

5. David From NC

David From NC

I'm always glad to see the positive comments!

Lots of ROs worked MUCH HARDER than I did, and I was tuckered out when I left the range at 6:30 PM. We estimate (through Erin R.'s numbers) that about 325 shooters shot today.

I met lots of new folks and some old friends also.

I got to meet the Florida guys-I've spoken to some of them briefly before I think. They were there pretty early. Nice guys and Pete/Pharoh (?) got some almost documentary quality video of his buddies and some of the other shooters.

I spoke to the always pleasant and gentlemanly David and Melburn Knight.

I spoke to a couple of shooters from WV who drove down this morning and were involved in a wreck only 25 miles from the range when another car ran them off the road. :sad: Fortunately they were not hurt. Unfortunately they suffered about $2500 in damages, but they still made it up to the shoot.

I touched base with Lethal and Mrs.Tupperware (me and Lethal always end up talking about food!)

I met the two guys from Eastern NC who brought their buddy from England to shoot. Between the three of them, they shot EIGHTEEN entries! :wow: That's about 1800 rounds! That's $450 in entry fees! :faint:

Their buddy from the UK was quick to remind us that GSSF couldn't exist in England, due to the ban on private ownership of firearms. He however made a darn good show for someone not allowed to own a firearm!

I saw lots of younger shooters also, and for the most part they were sufficiently safe and many of them shot much better than we thought they would. Our UK shooter pointed out that they were the future of the sport.

SOOOO many good folks and soooo many stories I can't list now.

I know there were some hiccups on staging and some minor safety questions (there always is at almost any match) and I know of at least one shooter who objected to a score and didn't get satisfaction after addressing it, but I HOPE that about 95% or better of the shooters will have nothing but good things to say.

6. JC2317

JC2317

This was my first match and although my scores were horrible I had fun.
    Everyone, especially the RO's, were friendly and very helpfull. And thank you again to the armorer (sorry I forgot his name) for rescuing me from my NY II trigger. I think it was professionally run by all involved, I was surprised at how smoothly it ran with the amount of people shooting.

I want to thank DannyR again for answering all of my questions on here prior to the match, and for helping me today while there. Too bad I didn't put all of his advice to good use!

7. DannyR

The Armorer was Gentleman Jim Greene, one of North Carolina's finest.:cool:

8. Mrs Glockrunner

Mrs Glockrunner

Bob and I are now home and we had a great time again this year in Morganton. The weather was a bit nippy this morning, but the warm greetings we received from everyone made up for the dip in temperature. Everyone, from the golf cart drivers, to the GSSF staff, to the RO's, all were great!

Both Bob and I shot well. I didn't do my personal best, but it's a close second, and that's fine.

The match was well run, the RO's were all working hard and very helpful with any shooter's question. I hope the weather holds out for the shooters tomorrow, but rain is predicted.

To all of the old friends we saw, and the new ones we met, hope to be seeing you again at our next match.

9. weagle

weagle

Ed and I set up the Ed's Public Safety tables and tents and had a great time. It was great to meet a bunch of you for the first time in person and participate in this great shoot. I've got a bunch of photos posted over on our facebook page. (see the link below) and I'll have some video up later. Don't forget to "become a fan" while you are on our facebook page and tag yourself and anyone you know in the photos.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/edspublicsafetycom/147550831588?ref=ts

We'll be back out there in the morning, So stop by and say hey.

Don Anderson aka Weagle

Here's Danny R coming by to make sure we are all square :supergrin:

[​IMG]

10. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

They're asking if you're shooting SUB major. Those guns don't hold as many bullets in the magazines, so they are shot/scored differently. They want to make sure you get the right score sheet.

The 3 different courses of fire each have their own challenges. Yes, the plates are a blast, but that's the SAME course of fire regardless of where you go. Not much of a challenge, other than not missing of course.

Glock M: this course of fire tests your ability to think on the fly. The pepper poppers vary how you shoot. Here at Morganton, they were in a row (one behind the other), so you didn't see the full effect. Normally, they are in a row left to right. It will affect how you shoot the targets, left to right. You're being tested to: put 2 in all the paper, then shoot ONLY ONE popper. I've seen on more than one occasion someone slip up and shoot more than one popper.

5 to Glock: This will test your DISTANCE shooting, although not as much in Morganton as the furthest was only 20 yards, usually it's 25 yards out. Also, the staging of the targets may affect how you approach them. It is easy to shoot targets from near to far, here they had some at intermittent distances. If you went left to right, you started with one at mid-distance, one very close, one WAY BACK, one very close, and last at mid-distance. It is testing how well you can handle those different distances. If you're not careful, you'll start shooting too fast, and that might hurt you on that long one as you'll "throw one" (score a D or even a complete miss).

At each event you go to, you'll likely see Glock M and 5 to Glock differently than was done in Morganton, and that's part of the fun/challenge. You have to be able to step up to ANY layout, and do well. Close targets followed by far targets.

11. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Do they have a practice plate rack or practice target set up?

12. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

YES, $1.00 a mag. Far righthand side when facing the Plates.

13. Able 5

Able 5

Yes, one dollar per mag. We had a great day!

14. ede

ede Bama's Friend

thanks, got a new pistol i've never fired. give me a chance to try it out.

15. DnB_TeK

DnB_TeK

This was my first time to a GSSF Match and had great time. The GSSF staff were very helpful. +1 to the armory with Jim and company, very informative and helpful. I could of stayed at the armory and talked with those guys all day. Stages were good, as the day got on means more people, longer lines. Overall experience was great. I have plans on attending next match.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. DnB_TeK

DnB_TeK

17. jdwatson

jdwatson

I started with GSSF at Morganton last year. What a well run match !! I rode my BMW R1150RT from the Raleigh area (200 miles) arrived at 14:10, easy peasy. Hopped on cart, with an ever so kind volunteer, she said we was expecting me. w00t! Since I rode thru lunchtime, I stopped at the "kitchen" for a burger and a drink. Man, that was one of the best burgers I've had in a long time. Hats off to the crew.

Plates intimidate me, so I decided to get that over with. I'll have to say I shot a lot better than my first match. My 1st string was reminiscent of last year. I buckled down and shot the next 3 strings clean. Then it was off to 5-to-Glock. Distance shooting is still outside my skill level, I did have significantly less "mikes" this year. :) Then Glock 'M, which is usually my best and favorite. I left one popper standing, Grrrrrr. Fewer "mikes", but not my best showing.

I got squaded behind a father and son duo that had to be shooting every class with 3 or 4 guns (maybe more, I lost track). There's got to be a better way to stage people shooting 4 guns, plus major-sub, and multiple classes. Even volunteering to paste it still took nearly two hours before I got to shoot my measly 3 mags for AmCiv. I didn't want to be rude and say something. I guess I hoped the duo would do the right thing. They shared guns and mags and seemed a bit unprepared/disorganized to me. At times they were reloading and no one was shooting. Reloading on the line should be discouraged. The delay behind the shoot-o-matics meant I didn't get to visit the armorer and the vendors were closing up shop. I did get to say hey to the great folks at Ed's on my way out. Next match, I'll show up a little earlier and avoid the squad trees that are filled with sheets with only one surname.

Despite the long long wait at Glock 'M, I just love the Morgantan match. ROs are kind, helpful and very encouraging with us newbies. They even let me volunteer to paste while I wait. The volunteers were cheerful, funny and very friendly. It was like being a part of a family.

A big thanks to the GSSF staff ! I always like saying hi to the crew. I'm not sure which match will be next. Conyers and Oxford, NC are on the list this year. My goal for the next match is zero "mikes".

18. DannyR

Wow, was I tired. It was a real pleasure to meet JC yesterday, and it was exciting to see so many new and young shooters at the match. As soon as we arrived we bumped into our old teammate, Dr. Rod. He was so excited that I though he had a new girlfriend. Alas, it was a new Ford 150 pickup truck. Next we encountered Bob and Pat temple. Man what a great hug from Pat and handshake from Bob. He tried to hug me but too many people were watching. Don and the Florida Bunch (James, Pete and Don) were there, and Don apologized to me for tricking me into removing my rear sight. I really did not do that. Jim and Kaye James were there from Winchester, VA, looking and shooting well. I somehow once again managed to miss meeting our host, David, who must have been very busy keeping things running smoothly, especially the transport service to and from the general parking area.

All the many vendors there were providing excellent service to our mass of shooters, and Jim Greene stayed busy at the armorer's bench. Then there was Scott and his Amazing Technicolor Assortment of GSSF Caps. Boy, oh boy, did that cigar ever smell good.

Yesterday was my 35th GSSF match, and I've never, ever had a better time. I just wish our plans had not changed. Vickie and I were scheduled to arrive Friday night and return home Sunday, but you know what happens to plans.

Accuracy-wise, I shot my best 5TG and Glock M ever, down 11 points and 5 points respectively. Now I need to build back my speed.

Our new Amateur Civilian Team, PSS-Range.com was satisfied with it's first appearance: Young, 68.xx, LeRay, 78.xx and Ryan, 133.xx). You will see more of us this season. My next match, with daughter Sally, will be Waldorf, MD in May.

I hope everyone enjoyed the match as much as me, and I will see you again soon.

Are the results up yet--me bad.:cool:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  19. dubels

dubels

Is the first picture a modified Glock'M setup? And what setup is the second picture 5 to Glock? Just asking because at Yolo the stages were setup a little different than how it looks in the pictures. The 5 to Glock was almost in a line going back and the Glock'M had the poppers in the middle on the same plane.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  20. DannyR

Yes, they were official variations of the traditional set-ups.