More workout questions

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Usingmyrights, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Jr Member

I'm pretty lean, and until recently had a very low body fat %. When I workout after being lazy for while my weight will usually drop, then I'll maintain for awhile, add 5-10lbs and the more maintaining.

My question is how much does cardio really affect weight training? I love mountain biking and have had people tell me that if I want to put on weight I've gotta stop the heavy cardio. When I weight train I'll try to eat 2/3 of my body weight or more in grams of protien. I'm currently living on a lake and today ended with swimming across it and back with a neighbor. He said it was a 1/4 mile across, but I believe that is on the high side. We swam across, took a break while the other two that were with us caught up, then started again after they had a short break, Wasn't hard swimming by any means, bud cardio none the less.

I'm going to try to go back to grilled chicken, salmon and sirloin for a high protein meal. Another question is how good or bad is peanut butter as a source of protien? I figure its a quick easy way to get in an extra 8-10 grams of protein throughout the day.

2. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

If you're set on gaining, cardio may work against you. You'll be burning extra calories that you could be using for gaining. I don't think a little light cardio will hurt you though.

I also think you need more protein. 2/3 of your bodyweight in grams is low. You should get atleast 1g per pound. I weight about 185 and get 330g of protein a day, so that's close to double.

Peanut butter is good. Its got good fats in it. Try to get a low sodium one if you can.

3. DBradD

DBradD

I agree with BradCR for the most part. Eat more food if you want to gain mass.

I'd recommend almond butter instead. There are studies that show that peanut lectins are really bad for you.

4. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Hey Brad!

What the heck are peanut lectins? And how are they bad for you?

Is almond butter usually available at normal grocery stores? I've heard of it but never tried it. I'll have to look for it next time.

5. DBradD

DBradD

I didn't know about them until fairly recently also. I learned about them from the Paleo for Athletes book (I'm a one-trick diet pony). Cordain includes the same info at the webside listed below, plus links to some papers on the subject. In a nutshell (LOL), they're a protein that doesn't get broken down by enzymes and a very tiny amount of it supposedly can cause problems in blood vessels.

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/nutritional_tools/fatsnuts.shtml

Almond butter is at our Kroger, so I have to believe it's in most reasonable size grocery stores. Our town is pretty small. I don't eat much of it because it doesn't fit anywhere in my current eating habits, but I've converted my wife over to it. I eat almost no bread nowadays, so I have nothing to put it on! I put it on an apple or banana a time or two per week. I personally think it's tastier than PB, but maybe not at first.

6. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

In Neanderthin, Audette encourages the consumption of Almond butter and discourages peanuts and peanut products.

7. supadupamikey

supadupamikey

peanuts also contain aflatoxins, which are bad.

peanuts aren't really a nut either. they're actually a legume (a bean). cashews aren't nuts either, but i think they're less bad then peanuts. you're better off sticking with true tree nuts, almonds, walnuts, etc.

i haven't had any luck finding almond butter at my local grocery stores. i've found it at health food stores, but i'm not paying $14 for a 10 or 12oz jar.

my favorite nuts are macadamias, with walnuts coming in 2nd. make sure they're unroasted and unsalted. roasting destroys the fats and salt is just evil.

good luck! ;)

8. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Ray Audette is against Cashews too. His thought are you need to be able to kill it or eat it raw. Cashews are poisonous raw.

9. DBradD

DBradD

To me, the coolest thing about this whole issue is that there are so many great choices. So what if one ditches cashews and peanuts? Walnuts, almonds, etc., are all great. I suppose peanuts are a little cheaper.

Now bread, there's one that is painful to eliminate! The convenience and cheapness factors are very favorable.