close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

More WoDs......

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by California Jack, Dec 14, 2006.

1. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Hey DBD,

A few posts back we were discussing perhaps substituting WoDs from American Parkour when the Xfit WoD was too equipment extensive. I was checking out some of the Xfit affiliate sites and a lot of them use their own WoDs. Of particular interest to me were the WoDs form Xfit San Diego. Xfit Santa Cruz (different from Xfit HQ) had some decent ones too.

Check 'em out and let me know what you think.

Jack

2. DBradD

DBradD

I checked them out, but I don't have enough experience to know whether they're better, worse, same, whatever.

I'd be interested to know why some folks feel the need to create alternative WoD. I can understand the parkour people doing that, but other CF folks? I don't get it.

3. California Jack

I was asking myself that same question. What I do like about the San Diego WoD is that on a lot of them they have an abbreviated strength workout before the conditioning. I think I may like that better.

I just thought that on days you find the WoD too equipment prohibitive, you could choose one of those sites and do their WoD.

Jack

4. DBradD

DBradD

Just goes to show that there's many ways to skin the cat.

As for the second paragraph, that is very true. Thank you very much.
    DBD

5. California Jack

Boy I hated today's WoD. I really don't like pulling for more than 3s. I must be more fast twitch. In fact for my last set I had to a backoff set and could barely do that. I'm actually a little beat!

6. DBradD

DBradD

And that was a ME day! LOL. You did rest a long time, right? I rest 3 minutes between those sets, which seems like forever nowadays.

Yesterday, I subbed a 5k run for the WoD, so my legs and body overall are beat even before I go to the gym! Not gonna be pretty. Even after all the MetCon workouts I've done, I don't think I've done anything else more painful than running 5k. I did knock another 40 seconds off my thirtysomething PR, though, so I'm not very far from my 18 year old PR. It's a fairly hilly course and the wind was blowing 20mph+ right in my face during the last couple of hills.

7. California Jack

Oh yeah, I rested between sets. It's just that left to my own laziness I'd have done 5 to 8 sets of 3 instead of 5x5. 5 is my prefered rep range in almost all lifts. The DL is the only exception I can think of now besides the quick lifts.

Sounds like your running is coming along great.

BTW, my top set of DLs corresponds more to my DL in the first Crossfit Total, not my feeble second attempt. It did wipe me out however. Good news for me.

8. DBradD

DBradD

Cool. On the message board, I read a post from another guy who did poorly on this past total. I really think the rounds of 400m runs the day before took a lot out of a lot of people.

9. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

I'm the same way. The only thing I get from doing the major exercises for more than three reps is beat up and worn out. Sticking with singles, however, the lifts never fail to progress. For assistance work, I stick with five or six reps in a set, sometimes up to eight, but my body just doesn't handle high reps well. It was the same way when I was a runner; missing two workouts meant it would take three or four to get back up to snuff. I always had a hard time building endurance, but strength and speed gains come quickly.

Is there any way to determine the ratio of fast-to-slow twitch muscle fiber without taking a core sample?

10. California Jack

A good while back I read an article about approximating fast twitch percentage. Unfortunately I don't remember details. It had something to do with finding your max strict curl and than with some percentage of that rep out. THere was an approximation of number of reps verses % fast twitch.

Best I can do ateamer.

HEY, are you WSBing now?

Jack

11. California Jack

12. DBradD

DBradD

It will be interesting to see if your assessment is different after 6 months of MetCon workouts. I've never strength trained when I was also a cardio beast.