More Win98 Help Needed

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Tarkio, May 4, 2007.

1. Tarkio

Tarkio

Hello:
    This is my first time in this forum. Wish I had found it a while ago.

I have a couple computers running 98 because of some data capture software I use in my business will not work with anything else so updating is not an option.

The problem I have is that the resolution on my screen is too low. Images I am capturing are very poor resolution. When I try to change the resolution, I get to the screen where there is a slide bar to adjust the resolution but it will not budge/respond.

A layman's guess here is that I need to allocate more memory to my video but how?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tarkio

2. srhoades

srhoades

It sounds like either

A) You do not have the correct video drivers installed

or

B)You have a really cheap VGA card that won't display anything else

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Thats what it sounds like... I take it this has worked normally up to the time this started happening. If thats the case, its unlikely a memory issue, unless your video is onboard, and you've allocated a lot of memory to something else. I suspect a driver issue.

I'm not 100% sure how to do this under Win98, but it should be similar to the instructions below...

Right Click My Computer, Choose Properties, Click the Device Manager Button/Tab...

Scroll through your Video Devices section, and see if anything there has a yellow question mark beside it. If there is and you have the old driver CD, you can reinstall the drivers, or you can check the manufacturers website to see if they have updated Win98 drivers(unlikely).

If you have a video card, and its dying, you can try to find a video card that comes with Win98 drivers, and install it.

IGF

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I figured I'd put this in a separate post, but the above, is terrible planning/thinking.

These PC's aren't going to last forever. The time is coming(and sooner than you think), when you're going to have a far more serious situation than simple screen resolution issues. Your hardware is quickly becoming antiquated and finding replacements will be near impossible, or extremely expensive. If these PC's become unusuable at some point, because of a serious hardware failure, you're going to be hamstrung and likely to make irrational and expensive decisions that would not have been necessary with a little planning.

Is there a similar version of this software, that is available for XP or Vista? Perhaps from a competitor? Whats the name of the software? I'd be very surprised if there isn't something like it that would work for WinXP or Vista, or maybe even Mac...

IGF

5. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Being a former COMPAQ service coordinator I can offer one bit of advise for the future on GT tech talk posts; provide the Make, Model, processor type, amount of RAM memeory, the hard drive's size, if it was Windows 98 or Windows 98SE, etc before asking the questions.

I agree that you may soon have a major headache if the PCs quit working and leave you high and dry. Perhaps the video card is failing or the load of Windows 98 is corrupted, an easy thing with Win98. Try to reload or refresh the video card driver as instructed, if you have the floppy or CD for the card. If not try to identify the card by inspecting it for ID numbers or going into the documentation if you got the PCs new. Maybe nearly new Pent III computers could be found and loaded with Windows 98SE the the software moved to them using Laplink's PCMOVER software. Go here http://www.laplink.com/pcmover/free-usb-cable-promo/?utm_source=google for a free trial is here to download for a short time and if you buy it you get a free USB cable, with Windows 98 get the printer port and serial cables if possible as Windows 98 and USB can be a very destabilizing experience, it can make the PCs quirky. http://www.laplink.com/cables/

A new set of PCs and the latest capture software may be in order.

The worst case is you may need to reload everything. I have been able to run Spinrite on a hard drive and have it recover lost or damaged drivers and files, you will find it on www.grc.com.

Best wishes.

6. Tarkio

Tarkio

Thanks for the advice so far.

This issue has been with the computer since I got it and loaded 98.

I do not believe there is a seperate video card on this PC.

With regard to your comments on the hardware issues in general. You are right. There has been a terrible lack of planning on the part of those who created this software and their lack of action in offering options for updating systems. I ranted and raved years ago that they had better start working on alternatives. But, if they refuse to listen and do anything, then there is not a thing I can do. We are forced to use certain hardware in order to capture these images by the labs that evaluate them. Not much choice in the matter there.

7. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

It really appears that the proper video driver hasn't been loaded for an onboard video card to exhibit that kind of behavior. Perhaps you could disable the onboard video and add anewer but modest video card to each PC?

Once again what are the specs of the PCs? www.Driverguide.com may very well have the correct video drivers for you. :thumbsup:

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

It's the different video drivers for your video that have fewer or more choices off screen resolutions. It's doesn't matter if the video is on-board or a separate card. You need to download and install at one video driver otrher than the default video drivers available on the Windows 98 install CD.

Find out what video chipset you have.If older and on-board it may be an ATI or if late Win98 an Intel video.

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

If it is VGA only these instructions may help.

Specifying the Windows Standard VGA Driver in Windows 98

To specify the Windows Standard VGA driver in Windows 98:

1. Right-click the desktop, and then choose Properties from the pop-up menu.

2. In the Display Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.

3. Select the Adapter tab, make a note of the Adapter Type the computer is currently using, and then click Change.

4. In the Update Device Driver Wizard dialog box, click Next.

5. Select "Display a list of all the drivers in a specific location, so you can select the driver you want," and then click Next.

6. Select Show All Hardware.

7. Select Standard Display Types from the top of the Manufacturers scroll box.

8. Select Standard Display Adapter (VGA) from the Models scroll box, and then click Next.

Note: Standard Display Adapter (VGA) video drivers display only 16 colors. Switch to Super VGA for applications that require a minimum of 256 colors (e.g., Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Premiere).

9. Click Yes to confirm that you want to use this driver.

10. Click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver. You may need to insert your Windows 98 CD-ROM.

11. Click the Monitor tab, make a note of the Monitor Type you're currently using, and then click Change.

12. In the Update Device Driver Wizard dialog box, click Next.

13. Select "Display a list of all the drivers in a specific location, so you can select the driver you want," and then click Next.

14. Select Show All Hardware.

15. Select Standard Monitor Types from the top of the Manufacturers scroll box.

16. Select Standard VGA 640x480 from the Models scroll box, and then click Next.

17. Click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver. You may need to insert your Windows 98 CD-ROM.

To revert to the previous video driver, select the Adapter Type and Monitor Type you noted in steps 3 and 11.

10. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

11. Toyman

Toyman

1) What exactly does this software do? (I write software)

2) Can you provide screen shots? I lot of the time a screen shot can provide a lot of info that some people don't realize.

I'll agree with the hardware issue, I've been down that road before, it's not pretty.

One of the worst things you can do in a business is fail to update. I saw that a lot when I worked at MS, it bit some people in the butt bigtime, and put others out of business.