More UL fun.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by TimWarner, Nov 6, 2005.

1. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

Well, since I can't get it out of my mind that I can make a comped gun with less muzzle jump and more reliability than a longer barreled gun with super light loads, I ordered a KKM barrel/comp.

The KKM comp will give me a place to start, but I'll probably end up making a few comp blanks out of aluminum and working up my own.

the biggest benefit for me would be, that I use the same power loads in my stock guns, as I do with unlimited, since I prefer to not have to keep track of which 9mm bullets are what load, and making sure I have enough of both for practicing and shooting and what not.

Eventually, when I start shooting master only, I'll turn my 34 into a second open gun set up for super light loads and play with that some more, but for now, I'll have to play the swapping game to test the 17 with a 6" barrel vs standard comped barrel.

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

It's all fun Tim. Sometimes the best proof something does or doesn't work, is or isn't better than something else is when we prove it to ourselves. Maybe a hot load in a comped gun will be just the ticket for you. :)

3. mleeber

mleeber

Tim,

KKM sells 2 different Comp'ed 9mm barrels. One comes with a 4 port comp (2 top 1 each side) the other is 3 (one top one each side). If you did not tell them you were going to shoot 9mm Major you will get the 3 port (they have the same part numbers). If they ship you the wrong one you cannot just change comps, they are different barrels.

I have a 4 port and am loading HS-6 and 3N37 to major in 9mm with Zero 125gr jhp. I am thinking that the 3 port might have been a better choice as the gun recovers a little too well.

You will also have to ream the chamber once you get it (at least on the barrel with the 4 port comp).

Food for thought.....

Have fun!
    Mark

4. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

Worst case if it doesn't work the way I want it to, I have a spare comp. and a threaded barrel.

5. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Mark,
    Thanks for the phrase. I'd been looking for exact words or something to describe that phenomenon - Butch got real close once when he was explaining the likely consequences of shooting a 17 barrel in AC and 17C in CD. I was checking a handful of dp177's reloads yesterday with a couple of different spring weights in my 34 (yep, he puts powder in 'em & everything) and the good news is they functioned the gun perfectly in all cases. Bad news is that, after shooting a bunch of Blazer in my 17, the nut behind the trigger was going WTF? ^8

I suspect that something like that, and switching between guns or characteristics, tends to mess with one's muscle memory. For you guys that do this MS/MU thing regularly:
    ;W

But as Jerry said, "it's all fun" and that which does not kill us...
    ;f

6. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

I got the 3 port comp version.

With my avg. loads, 147gr at about 900-950 fps, I figured the extra port on top was asking for trouble. If I can get some machine time I plan on making a few comp blanks and working up my own anyway. From what I've read on compensators, a little slower powder helps work the comp better. With Unique, I hope it's slow enough to not have to up my loads in order to get the gun to function.

I ordered the 9mm barrel/3 port comp from Topglock, and it's supposed to be drop in, so I assume the chamber has already been reamed, if not, it's only a couple minute job anyway. Unless I don't understand what has to be done, which is probably the case.

As far as having 2 guns that "feel" different when I shoot...

I'll have to get used to it, I need all the advantages I can get in UL to keep DP177 on his toes next season.

On another note, I found out the 17L barrel in my 17 slide was creating enough leverage to flex the whole frame and let the slide hit my carver mount. It almost makes me wonder if the extended barrel in a 34 slide would slow the slide down, from the barrel pushing up against the slide.

7. ToddCrow

ToddCrow

You may want to try a lighter bullet at higher velocities which will have more gas to work the comp. If you shoot heavy bullets and low velocities you don't have much gas pressure to hold the gun down.

I have the same barrel you have and I shoot 6.3grns of IMR 4756 with Montana gold 115's. which run about 1200fps. its pretty flat and recovers quickly. I can run the plate rack in 2.33 from the glock start position with it, and that's with a .90 first shot. Not totally flat but good enough for me.

8. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Just guessing here, but there's probably not the flex issue with a 17L sticking out of a 34 (or a 34 out of a 17 for that matter, look at the 17Pro), but the 17L in a 17 slide might've been a bit much.

Refinish of my slide and magwell will be done over the winter so it'll be ready for prime-time the next time I run into Fireglock at a match. Besides, I've gotta start shooting it to keep Tim on his toes... ;f

9. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

For 9mm, I like the feel of the 147's. Even if I end up having to bump my loads up a little. The lower weights feel more snappy to me. A heavier bullet with slightly slower powder will help work the comp as well.

Speed really isn't a problem for me, it's slowing myself down. I'm only shooting the plates at about 4-5 sec, but I've probably shot the plates with my UL gun less than 40 times. Only twice at a match.

10. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Me either; I proved at Lexington that I'm fully capable of missing "with all due haste."
    ;T

11. ede

ede Bama's Friend

damn if that isn't the truth. there's very few shooters faster then me, trouble is everyone is more accurate than me.

12. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

That's the way; just keep them bullets flying down range. That gives an old man like me a better chance. ;f ;f ;f ;c

13. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

;z Amen. That's why it's fun having Tim around, makes me feel so... well, mature. He sure has taken to that red dot - so I gotta get going - heck, he's even liable to practice over the winter. ;P

;?

14. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Oh ------No----------- Haven't you advised him yet that practice is not allowed? ;f ;f ;f Besides he will loose all his brass in the "Snow Drifts".;) ;) ;)

15. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

The range I practice at... I usually get 4-8 bays indoors (half the range) to myself, so I don't loose anything and it's nice quiet practice time.

The only problem I'm having with practice is the "tunnel vision" effect of shooting in a concrete box compared to outdoors. The walls make the target look a lot further away and I think that messes with my mind.

Though, if I can keep a/b shots at 25yd indoors consistantly by march, outdoors will be a snap.

16. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

Some day I hope to be mature enough to keep my coffee upright when
    DP177 is driving.

17. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Ability of the cup to withstand a 2.5G turn in his van, initiated by him, is now MUCH improved thanks to some suspension tuning he did.
    ^c

Maybe we'll take my recently acquired vehicle next time, which my loving CFO has dubbed 'Evil Jack Black' (although not after anything made in Lynchburg...)
    ;f

18. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

Woo, got the trigger pull down to about 2.5-3 pounds or so. Hopefully I can do a little more work and cut another half off it.

Comp should be here today, and I'll start testing a few loads with Unique. Most likely I'll end up switching to Power Pistol and pushing a 147gr to about 1000-1100.

19. mleeber

mleeber

Tim, get us some pics one the blaster is done! Also, let me know how the 147s work out, I had to go with 125s as there was not enough gas with the 147s to make the comp as effective as it needed to be.

20. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Absolutely!
    I'm gonna take some pics too once my slide gets refinished up at Lauer, but it's all gonna be just satin black. But I'll tell ya Mark, the lingerie on Tim's gun is likely hotter than mine - the old Agrip just can't compete. ;e