close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

More training qestions-Books

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by scowan007, Aug 17, 2004.

1. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

What are some good books on training? Its been a long time since I had a puppy.

I just read most of the "puppies for dummies" book. seems ok, not great.

As far as potty training, I'm going with crate training. I was hoping for a bit more detail and guidance than was presented in the "dummies" book.

The Books by the Monks of New Skete have been recommended to me, just got the "puppy" one but haven't started it yet.

I remember a million years ago I had a video from a guy named Dikeman, I believe? Can't remember if he was any good or not. Anyone remember those videos?

Anyone have any good training videos that they are finished with? Perhaps I could purchase them?

thanks all!

2. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

if you have the money, invest a couple hundred in a trainer.

one of my relatives trained dogs for shows...we couldn't get our golden to lay down for anything, and she had her throwing herself at the ground in 5 mins.

a few training sessions can really pay off in the long run.

3. gsarg

gsarg

"Puppy School" by Maggie Holt and Stella Sweeting.

Crate training is the best, IMO. The key to this, is letting your pup cry it out, WITHOUT picking them up. They will settle down eventually, and realize that their crate is their den. It makes potty training easier, because dogs don't want to mess in their den. Good luck.

4. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

5. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

scowan007,
    got to thinking about it and Ender is 100% correct.
    read the books, bond with the pup and when he/she is 12weeks old bring on the trainer. the reason I say 12 weeks is dogs go thru a "critcal age of socialization" from 6-12 weeks. In this time it is vital the dog be made to experience everything in your house that makes noise, family that comes over regularly, etc. This is the most important time of your dogs life and anything that imprints on your pup will be with it for life!!

6. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

also meant to mention...(above post made me remember).

socialize your dog from very young with as many other dogs and people as possible. i did that with my shepherd and she loves other people and animals. my aunt didn't socialize her with other dogs and she goes a bit nuts when she sees them sometimes.

of course, not all breeds need to be well socialized to love other animals and people...yours may or may not fit it ;)

7. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Thanks for the great responses!

Ender,
    I intend on getting this dog VERY well socialized. His daddy weighs around 140 IIRC. I don't want 140 lbs of anti-social!!;). This breed has the reputation of being very mellow and well-mannered, but protective of family.

8. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

damn...140 lbs!!! you better train him that he ain't a lap dog either! ;)

when my 65 lber jumps into my lap i have to cover up...can't imagine 2 1/2 times that!

good luck with him...sounds like a great pet!

9. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

my "little" buddy that I just lost was round about 150lbs of lap dog. I have pretty much given up on the idea of ever having children.;P

10. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

haha...very nice!

for a while i wanted a shiloh shepherd (cross between great malamute and GSD...they get to be around 120.

then i got my pup, and realized i could never get an animal except from the pound...well, that and 65-70 lbs is plenty big for me!