close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

More than likely dumb monitor question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pascal, Jan 9, 2010.

1. pascal

pascal

Hello,
    Got a widescreen LG monitor for Christmas. Have it hooked to an Acer with built in video, standard vga plug. It had been set at 1024X768? for the 14" CRT I was using. Now with the widescreen monitor this setting is grainy. When I go to higher resolution the screensaver (from Webshots) enlarges to beyond the borders of the screen and the text and taskbar lettering becomes very small.
    The video properties in windows XP SP3 will allow me to go to 1900 X something, except it the picture gets giant and only shows a portion of the total image and the text and toolbar get tiny, the trash bin when located seems to be appropriate in size. Can you help, please.
    pascal

2. area727

area727 G23

You'll probably just have to play around with the several different resolutions to see which works best. Some are are meant for 4:3, some are meant for 16:9 ratio.

3. Dandapani

Dandapani

Look at the box it came in. There's a natural resolution. Set the display to that resolution. My wide screen is 1680x1050. Anything other than the natural resolution of the monitor will make it look fuzzy. You may have to update your video card driver. I had to do that for my S-I-L when she got a huge widescreen monitor, 1900xsomething.

4. Lotiki

Lotiki All that is man

Unlike CRT monitors, LCDs will have a blurry or grainy picture if they are not set to their native resolution. My acers native is 1680x1050. You must set the monitor to the resolution it states either on the box, on the back of the monitor or in the instructions. After setting the correct resolution, the picture will look off center or magnified until you tell your monitor to do an "auto-config" through the monitors menus. My acer has a button called "AUTO" on front that you simply push twice for the auto-config. Forget about worrying about 16\9 or 3\4 or whatever, it is automatically taken care of with the resolution settings.

IF you tell me your monitors model number I will tell what resolution to set windows to.

Step 1: Set resolution to the monitors native.(most common is 1680x1050, but some LG's go up to 1920x1080, i need model number to tell you for certain.)

Step 2: run monitors auto-config.

Step 3; enjoy your awesome new picture.

If you are using a laptop, you may need to disable your built in screen and only use your external. This is done on an ACER by holing down the blue option button on the keyboard and repeatedly pressing the button that has a blue picture of a monitor on it until the graphics menu onscreen (easy to understand) only shows the external one.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  5. pascal

pascal

Hello again,
    The monitor is an LG W1943TB. Paperwork says resolution is 1360X768. I loaded the drivers of the disk with its utility and through Settings menu and it still shows too wide for the actual display. I have an SIS card that doesn't have that resolution specifically. I've used the auto set button. Anything over 1024X768 makes the display too wide for the screen. Again the higher you go the more larger the display is. The settings for the card now show higher settings than when it was on a 14" CRT. But none work except what was used on the CRT to get the full size image. It appears to be symmetrical. The controls on the monitor do not have a widen or heighten adjustments, just a left and right move. It works, but does me no good. I am perplexed. Thanks for the help and any more help that will fix this issue.
    pascal