More stuff to worry about

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RonS, Jan 28, 2010.

1. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

". . .The strongest solar storm on record is the Carrington Event of 1859, named after Richard Carrington, an astronomer who witnessed the super solar flare that set off the event as he was projecting an image of the sun on a white screen. In those days, of course, there was nothing much to damage. A high-intensity burst of electro-magnetic energy shot through telegraph lines, disrupting communications, shocking technicians and setting their papers on fire. Northern Lights were visible as far south as Cuba and Hawaii. But otherwise life went on as normal.

The same would not be true were a solar storm of similar magnitude to erupt today. Instead, the infrastructure we depend on would be wiped out. Most of us would not adapt well to this sudden return to a pre-industrial age.

How likely is a repeat of the Carrington Event? Scientists say it is not only possible -- it is inevitable. What they don't know is when. The best estimates are that super solar storms occur once every 100 years - which means we are 50 years overdue. . . ."

http://townhall.com/columnists/CliffMay/2010/01/28/the_sun_also_flares?page=full

2. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

Pardon my ignorance, but if something like were to happen, does that mean that any line with power running through it could short out or burn out? Would backup batteries and generators work on a case like this?

What about nuclear reactors?

3. RenoF250

RenoF250

It would likely ruin many delicate electronics but I think most would survive. Most electronics are not as delicate as people would like you to believe.

4. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

No, any piece of wiring, even powered down would be affected. The event is an extremely powerful electro magnetic wave emitted by the sun. The electrons in the wires are picked up and moved the same as if you passed a powerful magnet along it.

If you know what the EMP from an atomic bomb does, it is the same thing only it would be world wide.

Got electronic ignition in your generator? In your car? Airplane? Toast. Ever hear of the Smart Grid that controls electrical power distribution? It won't be very smart.

5. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

6. Mnukedude

Mnukedude Lurking

How long is the storm supposed to last, typically? That could make a difference in what survives and what doesn't.