Glock Talk banner

More snubbies @ the range: GP100, Taurus View and22/32 Kit Gun

1781 Views 24 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Berto
I got out to the local 25yrd range today, I brought along a GP100, the recently acquired Taurus View (without-the view), and my .22/32 Kit Gun.

I wanted to try the View with wadcutters mostly, just to see how it would shoot in terms of POI/POA...beside being a nicer light recoiling experience. The GP100 is a fixed sight 3" version, I've never tried it with this load as I generally shoot magnums in it.
The Kit gun usually stays home since I use a Taurus 94 to take up the rimfire snubby work, so it was nice having it today with the nicer trigger.
Ammo was Black Hills 148gr HBWC's in the Ruger GP100 and Taurus, Armscor 40gr solids in the Kit Gun.

Distance was 25yrds

22/32 Kit Gun
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· woo woo
31,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
POI was about 12" high with the wadcutters in the 'View'....but they stay together pretty neatly for such a distance.

The GP100 was also a bit off POA, about 5" low and right, but pretty consistent....25 shots into 4.5".

Next week, I'll be gunning for July's challenge.

· 10MM WOOOOOOT
5,832 Posts
You Sir are no slouch with a snub nose.

Reactions: Berto

· Registered
2,255 Posts
My first revolver was a 3" GP100 which I love, even though I can't get groups like that with mine even in SA.

· Registered
2,255 Posts
No, just dog sitting. I think it's an experiment by my idiot sister to see how much urine and crap our carpets can actually hold.
Bac is running the same carpet experiment, but with handguns.

· 10MM WOOOOOOT
5,832 Posts
No, just dog sitting. I think it's an experiment by my idiot sister to see how much urine and crap our carpets can actually hold.
:laughabove: That made me laugh . It will grow up so fast , even if it doesn't seem so now .

· Registered
3,256 Posts
Berto- what are your overall thoughts and impressions on the NoView Taurus? I've never been tempted to buy a Taurus, but I find this little revolver intriguing.

· woo woo
31,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Berto- what are your overall thoughts and impressions on the NoView Taurus? I've never been tempted to buy a Taurus, but I find this little revolver intriguing.
Without outright pimping the thing, I'm actually really happy with it. I'm only about 125 rounds into the gun, but I've put a handful of different loads through it over the chronograph to get an idea of what performance it's good for with such a short barrel, and shot it out at the 25yrd mark to get an idea of how accurate it is.
It's mechanically tight, no degradation in lockup and the trigger is nice and smooth now. It shoots close to the sights at any reasonable range <21ft but starts getting out there fast past 30ft.
It likes lightweight bullets, it keeps POI/POA closer and with a decent load like the +p 110gr Hornday Critical Defense it averages high 800fps velocities which show some promise in jello from what I've seen....or Buffalo Bore/Barnes 110gr +p averaging 1047fps- a more solid bet with a better bullet and more velocity-and recoil.
You'll have to determine what works in that aspect, recoil will be strong unless using wadcutters. Unless it's a load crimped specifically for lightweight snubbies like the BB or Hornady, you have to watch for bullet-pull. You'll see it on any lead bulleted load, even the Black Hills wadcutters I shot yesterday show some movement on the fifth round. So far, nothing notable with 110gr, 125gr Blazer Brass or the +P 135gr Gold Dot.
I looked into the gun because I remain doubtful of the small .380 pistols after having tried more than a few...plus, it's a snubby revolver, which I generally like.
It's light as hell, can be loaded with more potent ammo and doesn't have any functionl issues or unload itself in your pocket. I like its rounder organic shape....though I still think the flat pocket auto conceals better overall. It's also easy to grab vs the small autos with pocket holsters.....perhaps the beneficial trade off to its rounder shape.
Like any tiny handgun, they don't make especially fun shooters that you'll burn 100-200rnds per session. It has good sights, it's reliable and has decent power if you load it with the right stuff- and you have choices from a Wadcutter at 600-800 fps to 110gr doing almost 1100fps. Heavy bullets will shoot about 3" high at 21 ft, light bullets about an inch high. Move out to long ranges and expect to aim 'bottom of paper'.
I've carried it a few times, when wearing light shorts. I have loaded with the buffalo bore/Barnes 110gr, keep the +p Hornady 110gr in a speed loader.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.