More Prizes in 2005

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Mar 14, 2005.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

2. Defiance

Defiance

That system sounds as fair as dividing in 3 per the Lewis system. I've participated in lots golf tournaments using the Lewis system.

There's nothing worse than last in A or B flight. "Darn, if only I had done worse, I would have been in the prizes!"

I hope the pistol prize numbers are the same, or more. ;f

3. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Now I'm kind of glad that I drank that Kool-Aid!

;f

4. Noah Gladstone

Noah Gladstone

The way I understand it the top 10 will still recieve prizes but the rest of the prizes will be on a random basis. This seems to be more like some USPSA matches are run. Seems to be a more inclusive idea.

5. Defiance

Defiance

The only problem I foresee is that in some states with strict gambling laws, after the first 10 win based on skill, the other prizes are awarded based solely on luck, and not skill = gambling.

Any thoughts?

6. DannyR

Now let us not over-complicate the issue.

7. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Random prize drawing, not gambling.

8. sniper1moore

sniper1moore

I like it!Maybe I can win a gun:) Probably the only way I'm going to win another one.Shoot Safe Shoot Often,Ken

9. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Does 1 in 4 mean exactly 1 in 4? If so would that mean that Couer d'Alene last year would have only had 19 prizes instead of the 30 awarded in AmCiv? I'm sorry, I'm confused.

10. DannyR

It means a consistant ratio of prizes to entries at each match, allowing anyone finishing 11th to last place an opportunity to win a pistol or cash prize. Might even encourage more Idaho shooters to participate.

11. Defiance

Defiance

Random prize drawing that you paid $25 to participate in = gambling.

I live in Tennessee, and that would be illegal here. I know there are no matches in TN, I'm just throwing it out to the congregation for discussion.

12. Fireglock

You pay 25.00 to participate in a pistol match, the prize distribution is merely unorthodox, it has become random. After all, it's not as big a gamble as going to Nashville to be a singer.... :)

13. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

But it means that someone with only the skill to load will now have a chance to win without working to get better at shooting.

I am glad that Mrs and I had the opportunity to work our way up to where the Lewis system allowed us to win pistols. this may indeed increase participation--to the point that instead of waiting 4hrs to shoot it will now be 10.
    But as I said the change will become the norm:)

14. Ken Dunham

Ken Dunham

Does this new system motivate us to enter categories such as subcompact where us lessor shooters had no opportunity to win before but can now hope for the luck of the draw?

15. Fireglock

I believe you'll find it only affects AmCiv and AmGuardian. So no, it will not give you a chance at "the luck of the draw" in Subcompact. It could be the premise is to encourage you with the AmCiv and AmGuardian classes and give opportunities to thos who excel in the other categories. Something for everyone.

16. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Interesting; there are never any events, banquets, fund-raisers or anything for which there is an upfront charge and then there are door-prizes awarded to those attending? Hmmmm...

Anyway I like it - this is gonna get interesting. ;f
    (but then, they all are in some form)
    ;?

17. Defiance

Defiance

Mind you, I said that type of thing was illegal, not non-existant. ;)

Actually, our TN legislature passed the lottery bill (over much heated opposition) which went into effect just last year. It also allows legit charities to have one fundraiser event per year. Until last year, ALL forms of gambling (for anything of value) was illegal.

A funny story about the old gambling law. A church group held an annual "Cow-chip Bingo". They were prosectuted for violating the gambling law, and lost. I guess the s**t really did hit the fan then.

18. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

more prizes, whats not to like about an already great match :)

19. mike from philly

mike from philly

I like the change. I'm one of those shooters in the A Class No-Prize Zone (not good enough to be in top 10 but better than the winner of B Class). Ironically, the system is setup that the D-class shooter has a better chance of winning something.

I had intended not to shoot GSSF anymore because its an expensive match for 3 stages (local IPSC is 6 stages at $18), with no chance to win. With this change, I have an equal chance of winning something as the folks with higher times.

The change will attract the No-Prize Zone level of shooters (usually IDPA/IPSC folk) and they won't be sandbagging like they were. I once RO'd a fellow IPSC shooter and he told me that he figured he needed 5 C's on my stage so he be in the running for the pistol. Yep, he aimed for C's and got them. Another IPSC shooter stood still for 20 seconds after the beep chatting with me then decided that was long enough to be in the running for the pistol award, and proceeded to burn up the stage (went fast and accurate).

This change will eliminate the sandbagging and likely increase the competition for the top 10.

I'll be shooting GSSF again.

20. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Glad to hear that! ;f

There are rules I believe against what you described (Master-class shooters from another discipline in an Amateur GSSF division) but that, of course, requires that folks be honorable in the first place when they register. I know some fine folks around here whose times in MS and UL would lead you to think they should be shooting AC. When I asked them why they didn't it was because they read the rules, realized that based on their IDPA standing they should be shooting in MS, and then still proceeded to have a great time at the matches. Those are the ones we need in GSSF IMO.
    :)