close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

more people saying GM is behind the Toyota woes?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Cobra6, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Cobra6

Cobra6

I keep hearing more and more mention of the possibility that Government Motors Corporation is behind the "piling on" of Toyota misfortune.

Thoughts? Government vs. free enterprise?

2. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

I see Toyotas PR machine is hard at work...

Trying to point the blame at someone else....

3. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

GM makes good cars and so do Toyota and Ford. Would I buy a Toyota...no. Do I believe GM is behind the gas pedal being too long..NO.The average Toyota owner is so polluted into believing his/her car is better than sliced bread that they don't want t believe that there car is just a machine that can be designed by idiots.:supergrin: We American car drivers have known this for years. :wavey:

4. Cobra6

Cobra6

I was sorta thinking that..........

I just figured that the conspiracy theory would be right behind............

5. Wolfgangamadeus

Wolfgangamadeus

nah, GM aint behind it,GM builds a POS product IMO-theyve got enough to worrry about. They should have been wiped off the map a long time ago.

6. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Doubt GM is behind it. Yes Toyota has its problems like any other car manufacturer. Yes their quality has suffered due to growing too fast and trying to keep costs down. But piling on is good sport for the press.

7. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

After 10 or 11 years of selling the unsafe product and riding on the good reputation it's sometimes hard to deal with the painful case of reality check.
    Did You hear who organized 9/11?
    You named it.
    Jews
    CIA
    Americans
    Such news belongs to the same category.

8. shavedape

shavedape

Yeah, my mind was "polluted" by reliability and value. How could I have been so blind? :upeyes:

9. hatrix

hatrix

I guess American car drivers just like their business run by idiots instead.

10. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

You right.
    I don't feel that this phenomenon is connected with the average Toyota driver though.
    All average drivers are pretty much the same, no matters what kind of car they drive.
    I guess that some of them are living a miserable life though, since every bad experience posted by the other guy or bad ranking with or about anything that is made by Toyota switching them into the defensive mode right away.
    Their manhood is in question, so they feel obligated to respond with the aggressive remarks.
    All those little birds.
    The same story goes for the caliber maniacs BTW.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  11. Wolfgangamadeus

Wolfgangamadeus

LOL, seriously. I drive an 06 accord V6, last week, I was out of town and drove a 2010 Chevy Impala. I'll tell you, there is very little difference between the 2010 Impala and my dads 1999 Buick Century.
    Of course Howi Long said Chevy cant even compete with a Honda lawn mower.

12. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Please explain exactly how GM could possibly cause Toyota's problems?

"growing too fast...."
    The problems which Toyota is presently facing are not necesarily the result of growth.
    Manufacturing almost anything is a complex business. Even manufacturing simple products for sale at a profit is not a simple thing to do. Try it sometime, you'll understand what I'm talking about.

The current problems with Toyota vehicles may simply be due to mistakes made by a large organization performing a great diversity of tasks required to design a vehicle, test the design, design the manufacturing production line to build it, construct, start up, and commision the production-line, specifiy and purchase materials and sub-assemblies, perform onging management of suppliers and ensure quality, and last but not least, perform actual production and production quality-assurance of the product.

Toyota has had a long run of building cars in the US with relatively few major quality problems.
    Now they do have some problems to deal with. It may just be that those problems were simple mistakes, no more and no less.

13. XNDR17C

XNDR17C NRA Member

I don't believe anyone at GM is behind Toyota's problems. I, however firmly believe that the media is really piling on the coverage of these problems and the Dept. of Transportation (Ray LaHood and possibly others in the present administration, including unions involved in U.S. auto manufacturing) is egging them on to make Toyota look really bad.
    At present, there are several recalls and repair campaigns going on involving several other auto manufactures and nothing is even being mentioned about them. Just check out autorecalls.us. You may be shocked to really see whats out there.

http://www.autorecalls.us

14. glock2619

glock2619 Work in Progres

My thoughts exactly.

15. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

16. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/toyota-too-big-too-fast/article1458221/

"In fact, the rapid growth that finally took Toyota to the top of the global car market, supplanting General Motors Corp. in 2008, proved to be its undoing. Toyota's expansion undermined the precise skills learned as an underdog on the way up – an unbending devotion to quality while competing on speed and cost."

“Any company knows that growth is sometimes their worst enemy. All your systems get stressed, and it happens from a financial and production perspective,” says Chris Piper, a management professor at the Ivey School of Business at the University of Western Ontario

"The sad fact is that Toyota appears to have seen the accident happening in slow motion. Its new president Mr. Toyoda signalled this awareness when, after taking office last June, he emphasized that quality would have to be rebuilt. “No one was prescient enough to say, ‘Oh, it will be accelerator pedals in January, 2010,'” Mr. Spear says. “But they were aware enough that something was going to go wrong. It wasn't just clear what it was going to be.”

17. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

That's some guy's opinion.
    And I am not trying to say that growth had nothing to do with it at all, but to generalize the situation by saying that problems in both design and implementation of something as complex as building an automobile are all or even primarily because of growth is silly.

They made some mistakes.
    The consequence of these particular mistakes are serious and may cause danger to life and property, so that makes it a very serious matter.

Relative to the overall aggregate task of design and manufacture though, the current problems they are having are miniscule. It isn't as if they made major design errors, such that the vehicles come off the line cube-shaped, or the engines start up and explode, or they forgot to include a reverse gear in the transmission.

Again, I'm not attempting to minimize the grave nature of the safety issue here, and before anyone gets the wrong impression, I'm not trying to defend Toyota as a corporation, nor do I own a Toyota.

18. blueiron

blueiron

Oh please.

GM can't even make a decent commercial for their autos and now they are cunning and intelligent enough to sneak "fifth column" auto engineers, designers, and saboteurs into every Toyota plant worldwide.

Some people need to return to their medications immediately.

19. boozer

boozer

In 87 my GM car had direct ignition while Toyota and Honda still had distributers. My 84 GM car had fuel injection while Toyota and Honda still had carburators. I had a 68 Firebird with an overhead cam six with 215 HP and 4bbl carb.
    In 1974 I had a GM car with a double overhead cam four with electronic fuel injection. Toyota didn't have electronic fuel injection in the U.S. until 1987 in the Supra, it took years to fill in to the rest of their line. Honda's first EFI car was the 85 Accord.

I get disgusted when people assume GM is a stodgy company who "forced big gas guzzling cars" on consumers. My college econ professor piled this crap on me.

20. vettely

vettely

:agree:Toyota did not take the Oblama hand out and now they are on his sh-t list.