close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

More packet loss

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by Sentry, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Sentry

Sentry Senior Member

All other sites running normally from me. I also tested it from an outside computer and GT is dropping packets somewhere along the line. This makes posting and browsing not possible. Might want to investigate it.

Ping statistics for 65.121.170.152:
    Packets: Sent = 58, Received = 23, Lost = 35 (60% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 100ms, Maximum = 220ms, Average = 47ms

2. Sentry

Sentry Senior Member

Happening again 1/04 at 1:31 A.M., also happened earlier in the night.

3. Glockster_James

Glockster_James Man W/ A Badge

Hey Sentry, just curious if you could explain what the packet loss thingy you're talking about is. Just never heard of it before and wouldn't mind learning. :) Thanks. ;I

4. Sentry

Sentry Senior Member

Basically means that somewhere along the line, GT is failing to send 100% of the data, so a certain percentage of data is being lost which translates into not being able to use the website correctly.

5. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

My firewall is set up to drop every other icmp packet. This is a security measure. You will never get better than 50% returns pinging my servers. Dropping icmp packets has no impact on the performance of my systems however. If you are having a problem with my site, pinging it is not going to help you diagnose it. A Traceroute would give better information, under any circumstances.

You appear to be in the CST zone. At 1:30am CST, it is 12:30am MST. At midnight every night, the database on Glock Talk is backed up and it can take as long as 45 minutes. Actually, the backup takes 25 or 30 minutes, but during the backup, other DB processes stack up and they can take a while to clear. After the initial backup, the system tars and zips the backup, which takes quite a bit of resources as well. I am currently setting up a better way to back up the DB, that will have little or no impact on the site's performance. It should be implemented in a couple of weeks...Eric

6. Sentry

Sentry Senior Member

Ok, didn't know about the intended dropping. I had done traceroutes before and it was dropping packets along the way somewhere, can't remember where though. Ping times tehmselves were extremly high. As to the time, I never had had a problem before during that time, this sweems to be a random problem, and I've seen others talking about it during the same time I have issues.

7. Glockster_James

Glockster_James Man W/ A Badge

Thank you guys for explaining that. :) I don't know a lot about servers and stuff so its always nice to learn a little bit about things now and then. :) Have a great day. ;I