close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

More newspapers starting to charge for online news

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by bear62, Mar 31, 2012.

1. bear62

bear62 Armed Bear

Seems like more and more online newspapers are starting to require "memberships" to read online news.

The Dallas Morning News started this a while back and the list is growing. :faint: .... I usually go to a particular site when something is happening in that area... for example I've been reading about the Zimmerman case in the Orlando Sentinel. Now they are saying that soon a membership will be required. I live in Colorado so I certainly wont be paying for a membership for an Orlando paper. Here's a link I saw this morning ....... Comments anyone??? :wavey:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/os-orlando-sentinel-digital-memberships-letter,0,4485751.htmlstory

2. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Witless Protection Program

Trump Tower, overlooking the wall Mexico bought.
    The old media is dying. People won't buy their lies forever.

They will be replaced by free news sites with advertising.

No great loss.

[​IMG]

3. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

:agree:

Many newspapers have tried this before. Does not work.

4. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

Death throes of suicide. Adios losers. :wavey:

5. FPS

FPS

how do news reporters get paid? Who pays for web hosting and infrastructure?

6. bear62

bear62 Armed Bear

I can remember years ago in Dallas that I subscribed to the Dallas Morning News AND the Fort Worth Star Telegram .... seven days a week. And years before that while living in Houston I took the Houston Chronicle and the Houston Press (I think that's what it was called ... might have been the Houston Post).

Here in Colorado we don't subscribe to any newspapers. I do read the online Denver Post most days, primarily to get Bronco news. Before the Dallas Morning News started charging I read it on occasion for Cowboys news. Today I move from paper to paper when "news" is happening in a particular region. But it does seem many newspapers are starting to charge..... and I'm definitely NOT paying for that.

And I agree with some of you ...... Newspapers are dying and I guess it "ain't no big thing."..........:wavey:

7. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Before it was revenue generated by newspaper ads and payment for the physical paper. Now its online generated ads/pop ups :)steamed:) that bring in their main source. Many physical newspapers have gone under or merged with another. Since news and info are everywhere and so easily accessible it will be hard pressed for people to pay.

:50cal:

8. bwphoto

bwphoto Lifetime Member

I pay about $100/year for an online subscription to the WSJ. So do a lot of other people. If the reporting at the Dallas Morning News is any good people will pay for it. Quality costs and news reporting is no different.

9. bwphoto

bwphoto Lifetime Member

Also don't forget the classified section. It was a big moneymaker for print newspapers that has dried up thanks to the Internet (ebay, Craigslist, etc...)

10. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

The Dallas Morning News, we call it the 'Dallas Managed News' is a progressive newspaper and a wholly-owned subsidiary of the African-as-victim and the Hispanic-as-victim school of journalism.

The Fort Worth Star Telegram, affectionately knows as the 'Startle-gram' is less progressive and doesn't seek to serve the whiny minority communities as much, but it is hardly conservative.

:wavey:

Ah, how I miss the St. Louis Globe-Democrat. :sigh: The last decent newspaper in the country now gone these 26 years.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  11. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

Ask their liberal pimps.

12. Dragline

Dragline

I pay for the paper version of the WSJ to be delivered every day, and it used to include free online access. Now they want to charge me additional for online. I'm not tremendously happy with that policy since I am already a paid subscriber.

13. 2afreedom

2afreedom

While some prestigious papers (WSJ, etc.) can get away with charging for online news, I think the idea for most newspapers will be suicide. They will have to adapt their business model to survive.

14. bear62

bear62 Armed Bear

The Star Telegram is where I get my "Texas" news now. And I agree about the DMN...... It is very liberal, but I only logged on for some sports news ........ primarily the Cowboys and Texas High School football. There's no way I would pay for an online subscription.

15. Restless28

Restless28

Agreed. Most of the media consists of liars and liberals anyhow.

16. bwphoto

bwphoto Lifetime Member

Dragline - I know it is a bummer. I used to do that until I realized I read more online and got tired of lugging a stack of unread newspapers to the bin. They charge online subscribers extra for the iPad/iPhone app, FYI.

Something else to consider - the company I work for buys ads from the micro-newspapers. The sort that are mailed to every address in a neighborhood once/week. I know for a fact that they're making money but their cost of production is low - 1-2 reporters covering city hall, schools, and any tidbit of interest to that specific area. It's so cheap to produce that the ad revenue easily covers expenses, including printing/mailing.

For a small business you probably don't want, and can't afford, to buy an ad in the Chicago Tribune because your market isn't the entirety of Chicago. It's whatever neighborhood you're in. These micro-newspapers are filling the void.

17. random southpaw

random southpaw

There has been a massive loss of credibility that began when the newspapers began weaving left-leaning opinion into what were formerly objective news stories.

Not surprisingly, readers of those newspapers noticed and chose to cancel subscriptions or buy newspapers less often. Going into a digital product does not change the perception of the decreasing credibility of newspapers. Just because it is in a digital format that does not mean that readers will suddenly forget the left-leaning bias and fork over their money for an increasingly flawed product.

18. readingbill

readingbill

If newspapers go under, everyone loses. No matter where you get your news, it's generated by a news entity somewhere that is out there gathering stories. And no one can do that for free, even the so-called citizen journalists. Small market papers are the ones that need the revenues to continue covering the local governments, where an astonishing amount of cronyism, kickbacks, and other assorted corruption occur more frequently than at higher levels. Newspapers are the only ones covering those local meetings and can create a public outcry against abuses. Even with tough sunshine laws, though, local supervisors or borough or city councils still try to pull things through executive sessions, but having reporters there to keep them honest benefits everyone.

So don't be so quick to toss out the papers.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  19. podwich

podwich

I pay for a subscription to the Wall Street Journal. I don't mind paying for a good product.

20. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

Our local rag The Virginia Pilot has a very anti editorial staff. I gave up on them back in 05 when I had my eyes opened.