Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
"Cynical Little me"
7,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oddly I only have a .22 Browning lever rifle as of now. Thru the years Ive probably had 3 M-94s 30/30's. A couple of Marlins, one a .450. I always wanted a Henry, a case hardened, 22" octagonal barrel 45/70, will do nicely. The one with the side gate. Ive seen it on a rack and its pretty enough to show.

Were I to buy a Browning BLR I think I'd go exotic with the .358 Win. .This is a terrific woods round and can poke a lot longer if need be. Its nice to see theres still a slelection to rack your brain on but I think I'd have to go with a Henry.

·
Work in Progres
1,250 Posts
I have a few Marlins. A couple 30-30’s, a 45-70, and a .357. My son enjoys my .357 the most, prompting me to get him a Browning lever .22 for his first rifle rather than a 10/22.

My local dealer has a 1969 336 Texan in 30-30 on the shelf. It’s almost $700 and it’s pretty rough. I’ve always wanted a Texan but that seems steep to me.

·
Registered
16,823 Posts
I have a older Puma/Rossi lever action .357/.38 carbine. Got it in a trade for a revolver I had...bad part is the guy I wanted to have work on it and fix it up(Steve's Gunz) isnt working because of health issues apparently..so my trade netted me a partially working(will feed .357 WONT feed .38 specials) lever action id love to have it fixed/slicked up to get running 100% and be well..less stiff..would like a peep sight like a williams receiver sight also....bar any of that actually happening id love to get a nicer upgrade of a similar rifle..always liked for the the practicality of the .357/.38 as I have a Dan Wesson in same..but I also thought if i ever got into reloading that .45 Colt would be cool

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Hello!

Winchester Model 94 30-30. Shoot it regularly!

Well, when I can get ammo for it... don't get me started on the shortage of 30-30 around me!

·
Registered
8,313 Posts
Oddly I only have a .22 Browning lever rifle as of now. Thru the years Ive probably had 3 M-94s 30/30's. A couple of Marlins, one a .450. I always wanted a Henry, a case hardened, 22" octagonal barrel 45/70, will do nicely. The one with the side gate. Ive seen it on a rack and its pretty enough to show.

Were I to buy a Browning BLR I think I'd go exotic with the .358 Win. .This is a terrific woods round and can poke a lot longer if need be. Its nice to see theres still a slelection to rack your brain on but I think I'd have to go with a Henry.
The Henry isn’t truly case hardened but “color” case hardened. Opinions differ but I think that coloring the gun to make it look like it was case hardened (Henry rifles, Ruger Vaquero and others) look very cheesy. You can tell at close up that it’s not the natural color resulting from case hardening.

BLR action is super slick but the aesthetics turned me off. It f I could find a Sako Finnwolf in .308 then I can die a happy man. That was he best lever action rifle ever made.

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
I've sold off a .30/30, a .357 and a .41Mag. Regret letting the .41Mag go.

Have Henry .22LR, .45-70 and a JM Marlin .35Rem.

I like levers just never really got in sync with the .30/30 nor the .357 samples I had. Both had long thick barrels so the balance was too far forward for me.

I also had IWI Timberwolves in .357Mag. I'd love to build a.41 mag pump action someday, but will probably settle for another .41Mag lever action if the Henry's become available at retail or better.

Reactions: Tomcat1977

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I have a Marlin 1895 GBL in .45-70 with a Burris 2.75x Scout Scope. I have no real practical use for this rifle, but I figured it might come in handy if I ever go on a Bigfoot hunt or need to put down an escaped circus animal.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I recently picked up a pre-64 94 in .30/30. It’s great mechanically, though I haven’t shot it yet. Cosmetically, it’s only so-so, and I paid too much, but it was made the year I was born. Looking forward to shooting it soon.

I also have a 1975 production shooter. By then, they’d fixed some of the stuff they messed up in 64. I paid less than half of what I paid for the Pre-64. It’s a good little shooter.

You may say that your Marlin is a better gun and I won’t argue, but I just prefer the balance and handling of an open sight 94. I can’t shoot that far anyway.

·
Registered
16,823 Posts
I recently picked up a pre-64 94 in .30/30. It’s great mechanically, though I haven’t shot it yet. Cosmetically, it’s only so-so, and I paid too much, but it was made the year I was born. Looking forward to shooting it soon.

I also have a 1975 production shooter. By then, they’d fixed some of the stuff they messed up in 64. I paid less than half of what I paid for the Pre-64. It’s a good little shooter.

You may say that your Marlin is a better gun and I won’t argue, but I just prefer the balance and handling of an open sight 94. I can’t shoot that far anyway.
I actually like the lines and handling of the Winchester over the Marlin..but i like them all.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Well, I am very frustrated with my Rossi 1892 357 Magnum. It has never worked right...When I first got it I had problems, now it won't extract the empty casing...I can't seem to get ahold of anyone at Rossi,...If I get this thing fixed, I'm selling it..

·
Registered
368 Posts

I have lever guns from Winchester, Marlin and Savage. One of my favorites is this Savage Model 99 in .308. The M99's are great rifles and have the advantage of having a solid top receiver and scope mounting is easy. Lots of times they can be found at very reasonable prices, I got mine for $400 OTD from a gun store.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I have a Henry lever in .22LR, a Winchester 94 in .30-30, and a Marlin 336 in .30-30. The Henry gets a lot of work, the Winchester occasionally, but I have not fired the Marlin in years. Would really like to get a good, reliable lever gun in .38/.357, but prices near me (when you can find one) are astronomical.

·
Native Mainiac
36,312 Posts
I have lever guns from Winchester, Marlin and Savage. One of my favorites is this Savage Model 99 in .308. The M99's are great rifles and have the advantage of having a solid top receiver and scope mounting is easy. Lots of times they can be found at very reasonable prices, I got mine for $400 OTD from a gun store.
I was gonna' mention the Savage. It's a real classic and at least around here a good one will set you back triple of 400 bucks.

I had one in .308 and like an idjit sold it to finance a BLR in same caliber.

·
A swamp dude
12,559 Posts
I have a few Marlins. A couple 30-30’s, a 45-70, and a .357. My son enjoys my .357 the most, prompting me to get him a Browning lever .22 for his first rifle rather than a 10/22.

My local dealer has a 1969 336 Texan in 30-30 on the shelf. It’s almost $700 and it’s pretty rough. I’ve always wanted a Texan but that seems steep to me.
The Marlin ‘Texan’ is a beautiful lever gun, built in the style of rifles that helped settle the west.

I stumbled into my ’Texan’ many years ago when I was looking for my first center fire rifle for deer camp in West Virginia. It was priced for clearance in a store that was going out of business, and I swooped it up for a ridiculous price. It’s still my favorite lever gun.

Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel Electric blue

1 - 20 of 75 Posts