More idiocy from public education.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by armorplated, Mar 2, 2010.

1. armorplated

armorplated

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/03/01/BA061C7TVG.DTL

San Francisco high school students, just months out of middle school, can start earning San Francisco State college credit this fall through a ninth-grade ethnic studies course.

Currently, five ethnic studies courses are offered at three high schools, but they offer only high school credits. The school board voted to expand the ethnic studies program last week, increasing the number of courses to at least 10 sections at five high schools.

To help with the added costs associated with expanding the program, San Francisco State offered to help train district teachers and assist with developing curriculum.

At a school board meeting last week, the head of the university's Ethnic Studies program also promised that students would earn up to six college course credits for the high school freshman course - a rare opportunity for a 14-year-old.

The courses will become part of the California State University's Step to College program, which has offered college credit for high school students across the state since 1985. Most of those courses require students to be juniors or seniors.

Students cannot fail the class. They either receive a "pass" grade or are withdrawn from the course if it appears they cannot pass, Perea said.

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

It's leading into a time when you can get a BA in ethnics.

(missed a letter)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010

3. devildog2067

devildog2067

What's wrong with it? I think it's good to get students as young as 14 thinking about how to get college credit, and it's credit in an ETHICS class--it's not like it will count for anything at the college level anyway.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

They should be able to learn to say, "Do you want fries with that?" in Spanish, Chinese (Mandarin & Cantonese), Vietnamese, and Russian. That way they can always find a job flipping burgers in the Bay Area.

5. armorplated

armorplated

What an absolute crock. And there we have the problem with public education.

People complain about teachers not teaching and students not learning, but this article shows who is truly to blame: school boards.

Schools get federal $$ per living bodies they have in the classroom seats. So school boards make it impossible for teachers to maintain, first, a productive classroom and second, a disciplined class room.

If teachers were allowed to beat unruly, stupid and undisciplined brats, then maybe public education wouldn't be such a joke. If schools were allowed to expel these psychos (for something other than a felony), then maybe the class would be full of students who wanted to learn.

Ethnic studies. What a joke. Yeah, they're getting ready for the real world, they are. Businesses will line up to hire them.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I'm too lazy to read the link but is it eth"n"ic or is it "ethic"? There's a big *** difference between them two fancy words.

7. devildog2067

devildog2067

Ah, you are totally correct my friend. My mistake. I did not read carefully.

Totally off topic, but I picked up an orange Omega Planet Ocean the other day. My first orange watch. I see why you like them :cool:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

You gotta get a proper orange watch.:supergrin:

[​IMG]

9. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

If courses in ethics are indeed offered, Bill Clinton may well be the odds-on favorite to teach it. :scared: Class can't last more then 15 minutes ... including taking attendence.

:wavey:

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

He can also teach English too.

"Let me tell you about the meaning of "is" is.":wow:

11. holesinpaper

holesinpaper

Indoctrinate them young enough, and they are yours for life.