Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Rational
14,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone here has dealt with something like this:

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/more-homeless-people-parking-rvs-in-neighborhoods/129903704

Of course the city of Portland is dragging their feet about this. Gotta coddle these people after all. If it's not homeless camps and tents with their drug use and garbage waste in the middle of downtown, blocking businesses and sidewalks, it's parking their broken-down unregistered campers outside other people's homes.

I feel for those who are genuinely running through a bit of bad luck in their lives and just need to get back on their feet. I really do. But the majority of these people brought this upon themselves; either through drug use and/or criminal behavior/activity. It's no wonder nobody wants them around.

That city is doomed.

·
Banned
19,326 Posts
This is a big problem at California beach cities and they swoop in and enforce the laws every so often. A few years ago an RV dumped their black water tank in the street (maybe it was Manhattan beach?) and everyone went crazy clearing all of the street squatters out for a few months.

Reactions: Jade Falcon

·
Registered
45,279 Posts
You can't save everyone.

·
Garbage Day!
9,586 Posts
Whatever happened to pitchfork-and-torch wielding angry mobs running unwanted riffraff out of town?

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Whatever happened to pitchfork-and-torch wielding angry mobs running unwanted riffraff out of town?
Went out of style when people started thinking that was the job of law enforcement, along with everything else.

·
Senior Moment
6,389 Posts
I've seen it here a few times. On a summer night with the breeze blowing through the open windows of the RV, the smell will make you gag if you venture down wind.

·
Right wing nut
9,442 Posts
Dave Mathews tour bus did the same thing over the Chicago river. Right onto a local tour boat passing underneath.
And no one realized anything out of the ordinary was happening in Chicago.

·
Right wing nut
9,442 Posts
From the article:

"Earlier this year, the city of Seattle opened its first ‘Safe Lot’, which also provides electricity, bathrooms and security."

Why am I paying for utilities if the city will give them away free?

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
The problem here was people breaking into an RV, camper or boat and using a loophole in the law, claiming residency under squatters rights. To get rid of them you had to go through a formal eviction. While the eviction process was underway you had to provide power and water, free. The law changed so now you can have them arrested but they still do it.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
They use the small RV's that can legally park on most city streets, or conversion vans. Old clapped out RV's that couldn't park in an RV park.

Lots of them around here, same ones parked in the same spots (moved every few days) for years on end.

·
Banned
10,098 Posts
Fix the middle class. Make it attractive to work 40 hours a week and bring home enough in order to have some play money.

When work only pays the bills so that other make the profit, people become creative.

Btw: thanks for calling me homeless.. :D

1 - 20 of 74 Posts