close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

More Hogs at the Triangle D

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Hany, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Hany

Hany

Well, I was the lucky guy Hunting with Steve Moses the other night at the Triangle D, and it was a blast! We saw six hogs that evening and each managed to bag one. Mine was a great 100lb dry sow, which I'm told is the perfect eatin pig. The shot was around 65 yards, and light was fading fast. Luckily Steve carries a set of Stoney Point "Pole Cat" shooting sticks, which were a life-saver given the low-light and "Hog-Fever", that I had to overcome. The sow was a lovely black color with a little gray, "razor" bristles on her back, pointed ears, long snout and long straight tail. Steve's looked to be about 800lbs when it started toward us from 30 yards away, but by the time it was down it seemed to have shrunk down to a mere 200!!!
    Steve really knows the layout of the ranch and we got into the hogs approx. 2 hours into the hunt. While I am somewhat of an experienced shooter, I am a rookie when it comes to hunting, so Steve had to coach me along. The whole event was a pleasure, and I'm eagerly awaiting the sausage! I cant say enough about it, and the mental picture of us driving up to the hog and Steve calling out "There it is, it's down!" still brings a smile to my face. I'll try to post a pic when I get them back. Anyone interested should give Steve Moses a call at 817 308 2607. btw we saw six or seven deer there as well, so come fall this should be an even better place to hunt. SOOOOOOOWWEEEEEEE!!!!!

2. Roger C

Roger C

Sounds like a good time! I've been drooling over that since Steve first posted about his hunting spot down there. It's just too far for me to go from Northern Virginia to join in.

What did you shoot that big girl with?

3. Hany

Hany

The rifle is an old model Steyr-Mannlicher in .308. Im a sucker for Mannlicher-style stocks and had long lusted for one. I found it in Jan. of this year, and I added a Bushnell Elite 4200 1.5-6x optic on it. The load was a 150g Ballistic Tip loaded by Black Hills. Three shot groups are about 1.25 inches. On my hip was my old G20 loaded with 180g XTP. Bullet performance was spectacular: the near lung was "Jellied", it then clipped the bottom of the spine, then through the far lung and then exited. I hear a lot about Ballistic tips exploding, but in a carbine length .308 it looked to be perfect. In a 26inch Sendero .300mag a 150g BT may indeed be too fragile.

4. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

pix pix pix

something about a hog - perhaps that it can get you like few other animals we hunt.

glad you enjoyed

I liked reading about it.