close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

More GSSF Tips #21-35

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by BCarver, Nov 12, 2003.

1. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

This topic is hosted by Bobby Carver.

Topic Question: When at any given stage, do you always shoot the stock gun first, then Unlimited, or vise/versa? How about for Amateurs - any gun order recommendations?

Bobby's Response:

I have found that shooting my stock gun first helps me to focus on watching my red dot on my U/L gun when I shoot it after my Stock gun run. Since the shooting times with my U/L Glock 34 are quicker than with my Stock G17, warming up my concentration and my muscles with a “smooth” run with the Stock gun allows me to shoot my U/L gun the way I’ve practiced, smooth and as fast as I can and maintain the accuracy that I want.

Since shooters classified as GSSF Masters are only allowed to compete in 2 classes, Stockmeister and Unlimited, I have found that shooting both firearms, back to back, helps me to maintain consistency but choosing to shoot more than 2 firearms or classes without a break will depend upon your stamina to remain focused. I strongly recommend that you, “do not rush your shooting”. If you are shooting more than 2 firearms in multiple classes, ask the RO to add at least 2 shooters between your second set of 2 firearms, etc.

You have invested hours of practice and, in some cases, many hours of travel to arrive at a match to maximize your potentials and skills. Please avoid getting in such a hurry that you do not give yourself the “very best” opportunity to do your “very best”.

TIP 1: After shooting a maximum of 2 guns, while waiting to shoot your next match or matches, think about what you did right previously and what pleased you, focusing upon doing the same when you are on the line again.

TIP 2: Evaluate what you want to improve when you shoot your next set and concentrate on “how you want to shoot” the next set and “in your mind” visualize how you WILL shoot the next set.

How about for Amateurs - any gun order recommendations?

The gun order that you may wish to shoot will depend upon the number of guns that you are planning to shoot. If you have registered to shoot in Amateur Civilian, Competition, Subcompact, Stockmeister and Unlimited, you may want to follow these steps to evaluate “which” to shoot in what order:

1. Prioritize which events you have shot the best in the past and rank them in that order. For this example, let’s say you have always performed the best in AmCiv, Subcompact, Competition, Stockmeister and then Unlimited in the order from the best to worst.
    2. Since we all perform until our performance peaks, focus upon what event or events you may wish to shoot until you feel you may peak. For example, since you have always performed the best in AmCiv, you may wish to shoot Stockmeister first and then shoot your AmCiv with the same Glock model. Then take a rest.
    3. Your second set of Glocks to shoot should be the ones you want to improve upon your last performance. In this case, you may wish to shoot the Competition and then the Subcompact Glocks. Then take a rest
    4. Last but not least, shoot your Unlimited gun with no pressure. You have already shot all of your “iron sight” Glocks, now it’s time to shoot your Red Dot Glock and have some fun, implementing all of the basic shooting skills that you have exercised shooting the other 4 events.

Now that I have shared with you my “ideas” and “suggestions” based upon the way I evaluate or approach the challenge of “which event to shoot first”, allow yourself some time to prioritize the events as I’ve discussed and once you’ve established this order………PRACTICE shooting the events in that order EVERYTIME you practice them at the range. Accomplishing this last step will provide you positive results the day of the match.

“Keep shooting and be safe”

2. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

Bobby and all the other pro's - thanks for all of the tips.

how many more are you guys working on?

can you give us a list of what is still to come?

I know it is kindof early, but I hope all of you have a great thanksgiving.

3. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

Thanks for the kind words.

The premise of this thread was to address the questions our GT'ers had regarding GSSF shooting and matches. We acquired all of their inquiries and after summarizing them, they totaled 35. We have addressed 21 of these questions and have 14 remaining to be addressed.

Listed below are the 14 remaining tips to be covered in the next few weeks:

1. How do you handle a malfunction? Do you ask for a re-shoot immediately (assuming factory ammo)?

2. When shooting any of the stages (especially the "Five to Glock"), at what point during recoil do you begin to press the trigger again for the next shot? Do you wait until the sight picture is perfect, or do you begin to press when the sight picture is close?

3. Practice and ability are probably 95% of performance, but the other 5%, equipment, has always fascinated me. What would your ultimate Unlimited gun be?

4. Give tips on how we go about setting up our practice sessions. Our practice routines. And how practice helped us get to master class. Like they say practice makes perfect.

5. Practice without a purpose is just wasting time and ammo, right? So, what skills/areas do you practice (low-ready to first shot; splits and transitions; precision/Groups) and how (dry, live, and on a 'straight ahead only' indoor range for those who can't set up stages)? (I'm sure some of that is covered in the original series.)

6. If you can only buy one piece of equipment this year, what do you buy first, second, etc.

7. How do I explain to my wife that money spent on shooting (ammo, travel expences, entry fees) comes from the general recreation budget, but the winnings stay in the shooting/equipment budget?

8. I cannot set up the stages at our range. If the shooter wants to shoot different distances, the shooter has to move, the targets are static. Any suggestions?

9. My goal for this year in GSSF and shooting in general is to improve my accuracy. So I think my question would be what is a good way to improve ones trigger control on a Glock. How can I shoot so I get groups like I hear advertised and see in magazines.

10. First of all keeping focus on the front site duriong recoil and picking it up faster for a follow up shot. What practices can I do to make my follow up shots faster because i have a tendency to either look at the target after a shot and then having to refocus on the site again or I will simply lose focus on the front site after the shot. What kind or practice and exercises can I do to increase my recovery time and follow up shots.

11. Any "Tricks of the Trade" to improving shooting the plates!!!! Sight picture, recoving from recoil, point of aim, ect, ect.....

12. Do you shoot the plates from right to left, or left to right?

13. Building an Unlimited Glock.

14. How about "how important is an accurate gun" or how much effort should go into making a gun as accurate as possible. I've seen that question asked online a time or ten.

Thanks for inquiring.