More GSSF TIPS #20-35

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by BCarver, Oct 17, 2003.

1. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

This week's question is hosted by Bobby Carver.

Question:
    It seems to me that I can shoot faster by fully resetting the trigger (instead of the half reset or whatever you want to call it) because I have a hard time knowing exactly where the shorter reset point is, so how does one use the shorter reset and resulting shorter trigger pull more effectively?

Answer:
    The recommended method for faster repeat shots or "double taps" as they have been tagged in the shooting arena is to use 'the shorter reset' because it requires fewer muscles used by the trigger finger; thus, preventing less shake or movement of the handgun so that your second shot can be done quicker and "on target". Understanding that this method of Mastering the Glock is difficult, to improve the execution of this method, you should consider the following training methods/refinements:

1. Evaluate the position of your trigger finger on the trigger after you have acquired your grip. Too much finger in the trigger guard and using a joint on the trigger can reduce the amount of flexibility with the trigger finger. Try using ONLY the the pad of the trigger finger "before" your first joint.

2. Drill A: Practice dry firing at home, in your backyard or at the range.
    (Notice: Never assume your Glock is unloaded. Always check your Glock to make sure it is unloaded before doing this drill)
    After dry firing the first shot, HOLD the trigger to the rear with your trigger finger, holding the weapon in your strong hand, use the weak hand to recyle the slide enough to reset the stiker, then release the trigger far enough to "hear" and "feel" the click, then dry fire again, repeating the previous steps.

3. Drill B: Practice shooting a paper plate at 15 yards, by firing the first shot,..........pause long enough to reset the trigger like you practiced when you dry fired...........then......pull the trigger again.............pause long enough to reset the trigger, etc. Practice this drill shooting 10 shot strings at a single paper plate at 15 yards, keeping all shots in the paper plate.

4. Drill C: Repeat #3 above, placing the paper plate at 20 yards.

5. Drill D: Repeat #3 above, placing the paper plate at 25 yards.

6. Prior to any practice or match, spend at least 5 minutes of dry firing, resetting the trigger like we mentioned in #2 above.

Mastering the reset of the trigger will improve your shooting in two ways: 1. Accuracy 2. Speed

When you are giving the trigger a full pull or are sroking the trigger, do you get some shots that are low and to the left? The reason is due to excessive movement of the trigger finger without an index point and when you pull the trigger, you are prone to jerk the trigger at the break where the striker is released. Pulling the trigger with less movement of the trigger finger will allow you to pull straight back, moving your barrel less.

When you are giving the trigger a full pull or are sroking the trigger, do you use more time to shoot that way? You probably do because the time between each "double tap" is greater because it takes longer to release the trigger to its full position than the "shorter" point as you referred to.

I have found that if I'm focused on the front sight and I have a proper stance and grip, controlling my trigger with the use of the 'shorter reset' is easier because I'm utilizing my memory muscles that I have developed from the time I've invested dry firing and practicing trigger control.

I hope that these "tips" will assist you with your trigger control. As I've implied in my response, there is no substitute for dry firing and "mastering" the Glock trigger.

Best regards and "keep Glockin"
    Bobby Carver