close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

More from the airlines...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock20 10mm, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Now they are talking about charging you to take a dump!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/04/07/ryanair.lavatory.fee/index.html?hpt=T2

(CNN) -- Fresh on the heels of one budget airline announcing that it will ask passengers to pay extra to bring carry-on bags on board, another is considering charging them for using the lavatory.

Ryanair, which is based in Dublin, Ireland, and bills itself as "Europe's first and largest low fares airline," is mulling a plan that would require travelers to pay either 1 euro or 1 British pound (about $1.33 or $1.52) for using the bathroom on flights lasting one hour or less.

The plan, titled "Ryanair Cost Saving Proposal," was published in the airline's inflight magazine.

The carrier said it is working with Boeing to develop a coin-operated door release so that when nature calls, passengers would need to deposit the change before being able to use the facilities.

The idea is to encourage people to use restrooms in airport terminals before boarding, Ryanair said. If the airline were to proceed, the changes would be at least 12 to 18 months away.

As part of the plan, the airline is also considering removing two of the three lavatories on some of its planes so it could squeeze in up to six extra seats. The move would help reduce fares by at least 5 percent, Ryanair said.

It's not the first time the airline has broached the subject of a toilet fee. CEO Michael O'Leary told the BBC in February 2009 that he was considering the charge.

How would it fly with passengers? One hint of how Americans might feel about it may come from an informal poll posted on TripAdvisor.com last summer in which one-fifth of the respondents said they would fly on an airline that charged a fee to access the bathroom; 78 percent said they would not. About 5,300 people answered the online survey question. But the idea may be less shocking to travelers in Europe, where it's not unusual to pay a small fee to use a public restroom.

Meanwhile, Ryanair announced Tuesday that it's raising its checked luggage fee from 15 euros to 20 euros per bag for the peak vacation months of July and August.

"Ryanair is determined to incentivise passengers to travel light this summer," spokesman Stephen McNamara said in a statement. The airline urged its passengers to avoid the fees by bringing carry-on bags only.

Ryanair is already well-known for its fees and is up-front about them on its Web site, which details charges for everything from online check-in to traveling with infants. Customers haven't balked; in fact, Ryanair's passenger traffic grew 13 percent last month compared to the same time last year, the airline reported.

Low-cost carriers have embraced the concept of a la carte pricing, or keeping base fares at rock bottom levels while charging passengers for any extra services.

On Tuesday, Florida-based Spirit Airlines announced that it will charge its customers $20 to $45 for items they place in the overhead bins.

Glad I don't fly all that often!:upeyes: Guess I could carry an empty jug on board and whiz in that! :supergrin:

2. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

No way. This has to be a joke.

3. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

as long as they actually pass that savings on, i am for it,

but if they use it for extra profit no way,

i can hold it for a 1 hour flight..

4. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

All that comes to mind is the old Irish saying:
    Whale
    Oil
    Beef
    Hooked

5. Fiery Red XIII

Fiery Red XIII Adorkable CLM

Europe is ruining the USA...again!

Red

6. eaglesfan55

eaglesfan55 (>'-')>

pass the savings on..... thats a joke.

7. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

The stupid management of the airlines are just making things WORSE. I just had to fly and got on a flight in Denver that came from another airport with partial load. Frontier where they charge $20 for first bag/ $30 2nd (if under 50lbs and IIRC a EXTRA $75 if over 50 lbs)
    So everyone was loaded like pack mules. Many had a backpack, duffle bag (or even worse a LARGE IMO wheeled suitcase that would ALMOST fit in overhead bins, computer type bag. "the duffel is my (purse), the backpack is my (carry on) and the computer bag is for my laptop" (never mind they didn't have computer in it/ok neither did I but it was my ONLY carry on)

So they had to "gate check" EVERY BAG. So because the airline wants to "save money" the flight stewards have to mark each suitcase (many folks TWO) at door to plane and then carry them down stairs/hand them to baggage/toss into plane. On other end they are hauled by baggage to carousel. (IMO much more work then doing it the way it was ment/airport was planned for.)
    I am not a small person. I STILL would go with. "Your first checked bag is free up to 50 lbs" OR go with the max weight of person/bag must be less then 300lbs or $5 for each 25lbs over.

Let folks have ONE checked bag. I have to (check a bag) because I fly with stuff they are scared to have accessible to me in plane.

BTW if its just for less then one hr flights. They could disable the locks on longer flights but are they serious in claiming they will ADD BATHROOMS to flights over 1 hr/remove for shorter ones? BULL-

BTW I am old enough to recall pay toilets in airports. Do you recall what happened? When a person was going out they would hold door for person going in/put paper to block it open. Heck some folks would even slide UNDER the door. (YECH) With the lineup on plane what do you think folks will do?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  8. eaglesfan55

eaglesfan55 (>'-')>

one free checked, 25 dollars per after that up to 50lbs with a dollar per pound after that.
    one carry on. computer = one carry on. purse = one carry on. and as far as the bathroom charging for it is insane. kids have to have their diapers changed. its a need, not a luxury. a bottle of scotch and some chips on a 2 hour flight are a luxury. not a need.

9. zoti

zoti

I'll take that dump in the alley.

10. as400guy1

as400guy1

I'll use the airsick bag.

11. eaglesfan55

eaglesfan55 (>'-')>

i think the spot just in front of the stewardess curtain hits home a little quicker

12. -gunut-

-gunut-

You guys do realize that Ryan air is incredible inexpensive, right? I am talking less than $100 around Europe. I have seen $20 tickets.

For that price you don't get to check a bag, and your carryon must be under 35lb.

13. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

I flew Ryan air from Nottingham to Amsterdam and back....9 pounds each way. (About $30 round trip). I had a small backpack with me.

You get EXACTLY what you pay for.
    If I wanted to board early, window seat, aisle seat, exit seat, check a bag, buy a Coke (no bring-aboard drinks food allowed), etc, etc,etc...I could buy it.

I wanted none of the above. My flight to/from Amsterdam was less than my cab fare to the airport.

In the wise words of pop-culture: "It is what it is."

14. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

:animlol:

15. College_EMT

College_EMT Guest

Yeah, see I am all for this since it is RyanAir. They actually do pass the savings along. You can fly for literally the price of taxes and airport landing fees. When I studied abroad I flew 4 flights for less than $100 combined.

It's the American airlines that don't pass the savings along. The European budget airlines are just that, budget prices.

16. G30Jack

G30Jack .88 Magnum