Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Crusty Member
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back, a friend gave me an Acculab VIC-123 scale he was fed up with. It just wouldn't stabilize on a reading unless all conditions were perfect. Having some past experience with analytical balances, it was obvious to me, this thing is way too sensitive to operate "in the open". The scale comes with a glass ring that's supposed to sit around the pan, but it's only just taller than the pan sits. This is supposed to act as a wind screen. Yeah...right. There is a hinged cover (with a hole in the center), but it's only meant to be used so that 3 of these scales can safely be stacked for storage. It's way too close fitting to be used with a powder pan on the scale.

A bit of searching through my bottle collection (when I first got started in reloading, I used washed out juice bottles for cleaned brass storage), and I found a perfect fit.

Zero with the empty pan in there and the "cover" in place. Remove cover. Put powder in pan. Replace cover. Get accurate reading to 2 decimal places. When I first started doing this, I'd still go over to my Dillon Eliminator to double check what the Acculab said...but I've done that enough now that I trust this thing.

·
Brass picker
674 Posts
Cool solution. I have a Dillon eliminator and am struggling with it. It sets on a solid wood bench that is independent from the reloading bench so zero vibration. No fans or air currents in the room, there is no heating or cooling system in my reloading area, no fluorescent lights in the room, I still get erratic readings.. I can dump powder in the pan and get 6.2 grains, dump it into a case put the pan back in the exact center of the scale and let things stabilize, dump powder back into the pan and get 6.5 grains.

It is not a variation caused by the powder dump. It is the scale.. Dump powder back and forth between case and pan and get . 2 to .4 grains or more variations. I am distrust the Dillon so bad I am use it a $22.00 mini scale to check the high dollar Dillon. Anyone have any idea why a dillon eliminator would act like this? Really Don’t want to ship it back to Dillon... want it to work.

·
Crusty Member
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had to check to make sure I didn't get the name wrong, but the eliminator is their beam scale. Is yours the D-Terminator (electronic scale)?

·
Banned
10,098 Posts
Cool solution. I have a Dillon eliminator and am struggling with it. It sets on a solid wood bench that is independent from the reloading bench so zero vibration. No fans or air currents in the room, there is no heating or cooling system in my reloading area, no fluorescent lights in the room, I still get erratic readings.. I can dump powder in the pan and get 6.2 grains, dump it into a case put the pan back in the exact center of the scale and let things stabilize, dump powder back into the pan and get 6.5 grains.

It is not a variation caused by the powder dump. It is the scale.. Dump powder back and forth between case and pan and get . 2 to .4 grains or more variations. I am distrust the Dillon so bad I am use it a $22.00 mini scale to check the high dollar Dillon. Anyone have any idea why a dillon eliminator would act like this? Really Don’t want to ship it back to Dillon... want it to work.

How old is that scale? I'd say it is defect.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts
Both my electronic scales stay on all the time (to avoid warm-up) unless the power goes out.
Not everyone has the luxury of being able to leave the scale plugged in all the time. I wish.

Also don’t know about the Dillon scale but in calibration can you do a low or a high range of calibration? If you can, only do the low range. And do it every time before starting.

I know of two beam scales that were wrong. One was mine and the other is a friend of mine. And they were not cheap beam scales. Mine was a Ohaus Dial 0 Grain.

·
Crusty Member
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Acculab does have calibration options for 100, 50, and 20 grams. The calibration weight it came with is a 100g. I just did some searching...and high precision calibration weights are not cheap.

·
Brass picker
674 Posts
My Dillon digital Scale is almost exactly a year old as I got it as a gift for Christmas last year. I am running it off the battery power as I box it up and put it into a safe place when I am not reloading. The area is used for woodworking, automotive work, and other handyman stuff that would damage or at the very least cover it with sawdust.

I had no idea there was a warm up period on digital scales. If this is correct it cannot be used with the battery option because it turns off after it is idle for a few minutes. I have never run it plugged in an outlet.

If I have to let it warm up for 30 minutes it is unusable for my situation. Lots of times I only load for 30-45 minutes. Looks like Santa Claus wasted $140.00. I am going back to the old RCBS beam scale.

·
Brass picker
674 Posts
I have a Dillon beam and the electronic and they are both spot on.

Do you leave the Dillon digital turned on all the time? If not does it take 30 minutes to warm up and last question...do you check calibration every time to use it?

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts
My Dillon digital Scale is almost exactly a year old as I got it as a gift for Christmas last year. I am running it off the battery power as I box it up and put it into a safe place when I am not reloading. The area is used for woodworking, automotive work, and other handyman stuff that would damage or at the very least cover it with sawdust.

I had no idea there was a warm up period on digital scales. If this is correct it cannot be used with the battery option because it turns off after it is idle for a few minutes. I have never run it plugged in an outlet.

If I have to let it warm up for 30 minutes it is unusable for my situation. Lots of times I only load for 30-45 minutes. Looks like Santa Claus wasted $140.00. I am going back to the old RCBS beam scale.
I think if my two digital scales was able to run off of batterys I would not do so.

·
NRA Member
3,519 Posts
Do you leave the Dillon digital turned on all the time? If not does it take 30 minutes to warm up and last question...do you check calibration every time to use it?
No I don't leave the elec turned on all the time and I've never warmed it up.....I do have it plugged into an outlet, just not turned on.

I calibrate the elec and use check weights on both about every 3rd time I start a loading session. I then dump 6 or 8 drops and cross check between the beam and elec and I've never had them be different.

·
Banned
10,098 Posts

Did that also happen in the summer time with warm temperatures? I suggest sending Dillon an email. They MIGHT be willing to fix it or exchange it.

·
Crusty Member
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It just occurred to me, my Lyman came with a 20g calibration weight...but I really don't know how precise that weight is.

I guess this is where a set of check weights would come in handy...but then I'd have to question the accuracy of those vs either calibration weight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.