More DxO Pro

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by ponykilr, Mar 30, 2007.

1. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

I am still being amazed by the power of this software. In my opinion, there is nothing that touches it. Here are a few from this past summer's vacation(up in your neck of the woods ms.K). Originals from camera(jpg) and the DxO default versions(except i increased DxO lighting from med to strong). Feel free to critique these, they were just snaps with my 18-70. DxO corrected lens distortion with the module for this lens so the images will seem slightly different in size. Ken Rockwell has a great review of this program, if ken(dedicated PS junkie) likes it, then you will too.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/dxo/optics-pro.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Where is this at?

I need to check out Mabry Mill. I haven't been there in years...at least 15 years.

3. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

The two barns are at cades cove in TN(a little bit away from you) and the river is on the road between Cherokee and Gatlinburg.

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I want to go to Cade's Cove and see the animals. I have heard there is some really old tombstones there, too.

I have never been to Cherokee...don't tell anybody! :rofl:

5. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

Cherokee is well....Cherokee. There is not a whole lot to see that would excite my burnished eye, but if you like Indian culture it is pretty cool.

Cades Cove is awesome. There are several old churches with VERY old grave markers. Deer and even a few red wolves and everything in between roam around at will. The main village is a pretty nice place to get some good shots if you can catch it free of people. You need to go:thumbsup:

6. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

Cades cove is also where I got my imfamous wild bear shot. She had cubs and was a little grumpy. I went pretty close to her and she was fine til I snapped this pic, then she stomped her front feet at me and woffed. I nearly soiled my shorts. Again DxO version and the shot from the camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

what the ^*%$ were you thinking??????

of course, that comment comes from a guy who spent 20 nervous minutes cowered under a tree because an adult/parent eagle was very angry with him. ;)

:supergrin:

8. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

Well, she was pretty calm and was tearing apart some rotten logs when I aproached her. She had 2 cubs with her, they were off a little ways and doing what children do. She really wasnt paying me any attention, until the camera shutter made it's little noise.

She didnt chase me, but she made it apparent that she was a little tired of me stalking them.:shocked:

9. jmg

jmg UCantFixStupid

Wow. I really like the 'after' or DxO modified shots.

*off to look for DxO info on the Web*

10. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

Go here for a free demo. Make sure the info you read is on the current version 4.2. Earlier versions were not as good and folks were not as satisfied with it.

http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo/free_demo

To me, it's the best software out there for general photo enhancements.

You absolutely will not believe what it can do for lost detail, color and lens distortion.

Here is an example I dug up and corrected tonight. Some guys from my nephew Matt's football team, 18-70 kit lens on my then brand new D70. Sucky color, sucky distortion on the corners and vignetting to boot. WB was in auto mode. As you can see, this software can save an image. Totally mediocre to very good. You can really see the distortion correction at work. Alas, the close crop of this pic cuts off a coaches head with the distortion correction.

See why I dislike the much touted 18-200? It's worse than this 18-70 in the distortion dept. This software would make it workable. I spent 30 seconds correcting this in DxO Pro. AWESOME!

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]