close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

More chrono data (better this time)

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by XDRoX, Mar 24, 2010.

1. XDRoX

XDRoX

OK, I just got back from the mountains.
    Good news: The chrony is finicky but does work
    Bad news: I suck at shooting:crying:

What I did differently:
    First, I continually stepped back from the chrony until the blast seemed not to effect the results. This happen at about 15' away. I taped a piece of cardboard to the back of the chrony as a target. Thanks Fred or Whisky or whoever suggested it, I can't remember. The cardboard was about 3" x 7". I could hardly hit the damn thing:steamed: Whenever I was able to place a bullet right in the cardboard (towards the top of it) the chrony read a believable reading. Whenever I missed the cardboard the chrony read all kind of weird things from 600fps to 2000fps.

I suspect what I was doing wrong before was I was not placing the bullet in the right spot.

I hit the metal rods that hold up the difusers 4 times:crying:
    Luckily I brought lots of extras.

The rounds:
    This time I didn't take the time to weigh each charge, I just used my RCBS Uniflow powder measure. With Unique it throws about a +.1. I also didn't weigh the bullets this time either. I did use the same brand brass, But I have no idea how many times each piece has been shot.

And the results :rock:
    [​IMG]

So, my 115gr plated bullets are going about 1107fps and my 124gr bullets are going about 1114fps.
    I feel good about sending a 115gr plated bullet 1107fps.
    Although 1114fps is in the acceptable range for 124gr plated bullets I feel like this is a little fast.

I would like opinions on what you guys would change on these two loads. I'm thinking maybe drop the 124gr down to 5.0gr???

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Who makes your diffuser rods... I wanna buy a bunch of their stock. Please don't switch to an air-soft or paintball gun... I really need the capital gains. :supergrin:

Jack

3. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

You might want to take a small table/chair sandbag setup so you can "bench rest" while testing... whenever I'm testing a load, I take a small sandbag thingy I have to the indoor range I shoot at. They already have a few foldable chairs, and each bay has a small "table"... it makes for very steady shooting.

Like you, I'm still not nearly as accurate "offhand" as I am with a rest. You might try that and save the wear and tear on that chrony. :whistling:

4. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

You hit the metal diffuser rods and did not damage the sensor housings? Although I have yet to hit my Chrony, I'd consider you a very lucky person.

I've heard that a lot of people will make diffuser rods out of wooden dowel rods so that if hit, they won't destroy the sensors. Not sure what diameter would be required, and one might need to do some reducing on the ends to make them fit.

5. XDRoX

XDRoX

I bought some cheap metal rods from home depot. They are the same thickness as the ones that come with it. I just cut then down to 16" and use them. They are pretty soft. They just bend when hit. The diffusers and the screens showed no ill effects from my poor marksmanship:supergrin:

But what I really want your opinions on is the question below:whistling:

6. fredj338

fredj338

I would go w/ the wooded dowels as well, less likely to damage that fine piece of equip.:whistling:
    Your 124gr load is fine, I go w/ 5.1gr FWIW w/ 124gr jacketed, 4.9gr w/ 124grLFP. Both running right around 1100fps.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

So are you going to keep it? Did you buy it from Midway?

8. XDRoX

XDRoX

I bought it from midway. The problem is the original diffuser rods are missing:whistling: So I'd have to order new ones first. And also I don't really feel right about returning it since I shot the rods. So I'll probably just keep it and get a CED at a later time. I'm not doing any serious chrono'n, I really just wanted to see how fast my plinking rounds were flying. And I'm pretty confident that these results are accurate. They're almost exactly what my manual says.

And in all honesty I'm not sure the chrony is defective. At 23" away last time I went shooting, I doubt I got many shots in the right spot. Toward the end of my shooting today, I was getting about 8 good readings per 10 shots. In other words I was hitting the cardboard about 8/10 times.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  9. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

95% good readings is about right for the CED we use. I would call midway and ask them what they would do. Be honest. You might be suprised what they say. My story would go something like this.
    " I got this chrono, it doesn't always read my shots very well, to get it to work even @ 80% I had to back the thing up to 20' and even then it's doesn't work that great. I would like to return it but I did shoot a couple of the rods that holds the screens. I replaced them with some Home Depot rods which work fine. I think I should have just got the CED M2 instead. What can we do?"

10. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

It is easier to ask forgiveness than it is permission... lay the rods in the bottom of the box, pack everything else on top and ship it back... they'll never look past the first layer... especially if you tell them you want a credit towards a CED or whatever.

One thing you must keep in mind... Little Stevie still thinks professional wrestling is real... although he does hold the world record for returns to Midway. :whistling:

Jack

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

MOM!!!! Is that you??????

12. GLShooter

GLShooter

Keep the Chrony for back up and just buy the CED. I've got an OLD Oehler Model 12 that is setting in the reloading room in case my CED ever goes down. It is old as the hills but will work.

My buddies bought several of the Chronys years ago for IPSC and we would just set them up and shoot them at about five feet. Never had a variation in the readings to speak of. I just always liked the more high end chronographs on the market at the time.

Greg

13. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Wooden dowls are the way to go. For dowls, I found bamboo grill skewers work perfectly. The cheap ones that come in a 100 pack at wallyworld. Glad to see your chrono is working.

I use a cheap tripod for mine. I get myself comfortable standing or seated and adjust the tripod so the chrono is right where I want it. If you have to bend, reach, lean etc it will make it that much harder to shoot well. I shot my first chrony by placing it on a rock and having to bend down to shoot at it. It was a fail waiting to happen. Since using a target and tripod, I haven't even come close to not hitting the bull on the target in the sweet spot. With outdoor light, I get close to 100% good readings. When I use it indoors without any special light kit, I get errors until I move the chrono to just the right spot on the range floor. Once I get it dialed in, I get about 90% good readings.

14. XDRoX

XDRoX

That's probably what I'll do. I kind of figured I'd get what I paid for.

That's a great tip, thanks.

15. XDRoX

XDRoX

Thanks Fred. What about the 115gr traveling at just over 1100fps? Would you leave that alone as well?

16. fredj338

fredj338

I've never gone over 5.5gr of WST in 9mm w/ 115gr bullets & my G17 is putting them close to 1200fps.:dunno: So I would stay put if everything is working well.

17. XDRoX

XDRoX

Did you mean Unique? These loads were loaded with Unique. I'm not anywhere near 5.5gr with WST. With WST I'm at 5.0gr.