GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, brand new to GT and Glock ownership. I recently purchased a G17.4 because it felt way better in my hand than my little P9. However, I am more accurate with the P9 at 8 lb trigger pull then I am with the G17. I find I am holding on to the P9 much tighter and I can see the sight picture faster. I am right handed but have to start shooting left handed due to nerve damage and a very weak RH grip. Anyone have any ideas for a newbie?

·
NRA Benefactor
5,265 Posts
It sometimes takes time to get used to a new gun. After shooting my Glocks at an IDPA tournament or GSSF match, it takes awhile before I can shoot any of my guns with lighter triggers with any accuracy. They go off much sooner than I anticipate because they are much lighter and shorter.

Reactions: Tim Z

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
I assume you mean the PF9, it took me a while to get use to the grip angle on my G23.

Reactions: Tim Z

·
Registered
16,889 Posts
Welcome to GT, and sounds like you have shot the little Kel Tec for a while.

There is a saying, beware the man who owns one gun. That is because you are used to all the tiny idiosyncrasies, including that trigger and how you have to make the microscopic adjustments in the time between getting sight picture, starting trigger pull, adjusting sight pic, and hitting the break point with the trigger. It takes longer to explain than it takes to do, and is just something all of us learn as we get more familiar with a specific handgun.

Give the Glock some time. If you are having to learn to shoot left handed, try adjusting your point of aim a bit more to the left than you do with the PF9, as the trigger on the Glock breaks at 5.5 pounds. You are compensating whether you know it or not for an 8 pound pull and getting the shot slightly sooner than you expect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to GT, and sounds like you have shot the little Kel Tec for a while.

There is a saying, beware the man who owns one gun. That is because you are used to all the tiny idiosyncrasies, including that trigger and how you have to make the microscopic adjustments in the time between getting sight picture, starting trigger pull, adjusting sight pic, and hitting the break point with the trigger. It takes longer to explain than it takes to do, and is just something all of us learn as we get more familiar with a specific handgun.

Give the Glock some time. If you are having to learn to shoot left handed, try adjusting your point of aim a bit more to the left than you do with the PF9, as the trigger on the Glock breaks at 5.5 pounds. You are compensating whether you know it or not for an 8 pound pull and getting the shot slightly sooner than you expect.
Thank you PLP. I just started shooting left handed. I do have a S&W 565 I have owned for 20 Years. I can shoot it left handed very well also. After it is cocked the trigger pull is very light. I just need to to shoot the G17 more. I love the gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you PLP. I just started shooting left handed. I do have a S&W 565 I have owned for 20 Years. I can shoot it left handed very well also. After it is cocked the trigger pull is very light. I just need to to shoot the G17 more. I love the gun.
*S&W 586

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I was going to say, the G17 is far superior in every way except cost and easy of concealability to the PF9. I had one for about a year, hated shooting it but I will say, not once did it have any malfunction with any ammo I put through it, about 1000 rounds.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Keltecs are just plain difficult to shoot accurately. There is no way around that. I was once heavily into them, and was big time into the Keltec owners group. But those dang things have a long, fairly heavy pull, and their light weight makes it difficult not to flinch. So if you can shoot that sucker well, then more power too you.

I do think you will really start to excel on the Glock with more trigger time. Looks like you already are.

·
Registered
125,267 Posts
Hello, brand new to GT and Glock ownership. I recently purchased a G17.4 because it felt way better in my hand than my little P9. However, I am more accurate with the P9 at 8 lb trigger pull then I am with the G17. I find I am holding on to the P9 much tighter and I can see the sight picture faster. I am right handed but have to start shooting left handed due to nerve damage and a very weak RH grip. Anyone have any ideas for a newbie?
I guess you’re just more used to the P9.

That said, it’s not like a Glock 17 is known for precision accuracy or anything. It’s a polymer service gun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts