Debate Morality and the Christian God

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Police Marksman, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Police Marksman

Police Marksman

2. JBnTX

JBnTX

Sam Harris has no concept of God or Christianity.
    That video is nothing more than a collection of atheist lies and ignorance about God.

God has nothing to do with what's happening on this world right now.
    It's not God's job to save little children or answer the prayers of the sick.

Don't blame God for what's wrong in this world, blame mankind.

We are in an Age of Grace. A kind of "time out" where God has taken a step back and expects man to come to him based on faith, and faith only. That's faith only, not works, or proof of God's existence.

God is watching and waiting with a "hands off" attitude.
    Man must make the next move, not God.

God made his move 2000 years ago and was nailed to a cross for his effort.

Westexas likes this.

3. JBnTX

JBnTX

God is real, and the world is very different from what God intended for us.
    The world is different from what God intended because of man's sin, not something God did.

If we would have followed God's commandments, then we'd all be living in a Garden of Eden.

The blame is on man, not God.

The Machinist and Sharkey like this.
  4. Police Marksman

Police Marksman

Don't make excuses for your God. God is supposed to be all powerful, while of course man is not. Man cannot be blamed for being imperfect, that is exactly how God supposedly made him.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  5. Police Marksman

Police Marksman

All claims without evidence.

6. joemack47

joemack47

So god cares about humankind, but not individuals. However individuals are required to worship him or be banished to eternal hell. To be fair, not actually worship him but rather the Jesus Christ version of him. All others to the end of the line, no matter how morally they led their lives.
    Whew... this is going to take awhile to grasp.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

7. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

A Christian God? If there is a Christian God, as opposed to any other kind of God, or even God Himself, that would have to mean that there was more than one God.

And that would make both Jews and Christians Polytheistic like the Hindus, although I can't speak with any great authority about the beliefs of the Hindus, not being a Hindu myself.

Regardless, it seems to me like a very flawed premise, but that's what happens when you try to interpret something that you don't completely understand.

8. JBnTX

JBnTX

Where do you get that crap?

9. Police Marksman

Police Marksman

Its called logic.

10. Sharkey

Sharkey

Wow, so much theology fail here. Besides isn't this thread a rehash of the "fear of death" thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. JBnTX

JBnTX

No it's not. Where do you get the garbage and half truths that you spew about God and Christianity?

Where exactly does it come from? Are you just mimicking what you hear others say?

Post #4 in this thread makes absolutely no sense.
    What does it mean that God is supposed to be all powerful?

You have absolutely no understanding of God or the Bible, and it's getting a little old.

How powerful God is has nothing to do with anything that's going on here on Earth.

Your posts just don't make sense, unless you're just throwing out criticism just to be criticizing God and Christianity.

12. Police Marksman

Police Marksman

It sounds like God is your holy book. Without the bible you would not have a god. If God was real he would not need a holy book or anyone to speak for him.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  13. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

Why does Sam Harris care so deeply about the suffering of people he's never met? According to him, we are a doomed species, living in a dying universe. How does he arrive at the conclusion that children, or anyone, for that matter possess any intrinsic value, whatsoever? Is he simply dancing to his DNA? We're told mankind only evolved a predilection to religion, so why is he angry at nature for having made that trait so prevalent?

14. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

It seems like it would be more accurate to say that he doesn't agree with your understanding of the Bible, but that's also true of many, if not the majority, of Christians.

15. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

One thought in the video negates your entire post

"Any god that would allow children by the millions to suffer and die this way, and their parents to grieve this way, either can't do anything about it, or doesn't care to. So he's either impotent or evil. "

The very fact that your god, as described by you, has it within himself, the power to stop the needless, cruel and unjustified torture and death of little children and refuses to do so makes him a monster, not a god. And certainly not a being worthy of worship. If he holds the power then it becomes incumbent upon him, a responsibility, to use that power. If this is where your "objective " morality comes from than I'll stick with my morality thank you very much.

"Don't blame god for what's wrong in this word "

Are you fricken kidding me? If your god existed, which thankfully, he doesn't, ALL the blame for what's wrong in the world could be placed squarely on his perfect shoulders. I'm about tired of the nonsensical dithering of people trying to justify their god with this obscene reasoning. If God exists THIS. IS. ALL. HIS. FAULT! And he should be ashamed of himself. As all those that follow whatever version of him should be also.

I say Sam Harris has a better handle on God, Jesus and Christianity then you do JB. If anyone here is wrong it's you.

fowl intent likes this.
  16. Lone Wolf8634

Yeah, we get it. Anyone who doesn't believe exactly as you do doesn't understand god or the Bible.

Where do you get this garbage? Oh yeah, The KING JAMES VERSION of the Bible. Well, garbage in, garbage out.

17. Lone Wolf8634

Do you truly have no sense of compassion or empathy? Or even just a self defense mechanism that would tell you "I wouldn't want that done to me" and the intelligence to figure out not to do it, or allow it to happen, to others?

Are you honestly telling me that without a middle eastern fairy tale you couldn't figure out how to place value on human life?

Because a person who cannot internally figure these things out without an ancient book is a psychopath and belongs in a cage.

18. Lone Wolf8634

The video is one of Sam Harris' finer moments. He wiped the floor with WLC in that one.

19. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

None of that answers how atheism determines a human being's intrinsic worth. According to you, we're animals that were coughed up by nature. What makes us worth more than the material we're made of? If it's just an ingrained instinct within us to value others, then we must admit that while it makes us feel good, it's still an irrational act. We may feel we're more than the sum of our parts, but in a purposeless, accidental universe, we really aren't.

The Book doesn't instruct me to feel compassion and empathy. It tells me why I'm made that way, and why those things have meaning.

Gray Dood likes this.
  20. Lone Wolf8634

That's easy. All life has worth. There's so little of it in the universe

Humans have worth because an Atheist is capable of love. If our loved ones are worth everything to us then it isn't a great leap to apply that idea to others, thereby assigning them the intrinsic worth that you seem to be so worried about. Let's see, empathy? Check Compassion? Check.

So tell me what makes you think humans are worth anything? In the Bible your god killed them by the millions. He commanded the destruction of entire races. Here in modern times he allows 9 million children a year to die fro disease, starvation and war.

So I'm curious, how do you assign value to human life when your god so blatantly disregards it? Where exactly do you get off complaining that Atheists cannot value life?