close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Moose Hunt

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Glocktex, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Glocktex

Glocktex

Thought that I would share with all of you one of my nicest trophies to date, probably in my life! This is a 53 1/2" Western Canadian Moose I shot on August 27th this year in British Columbia. He was harvested with one shot from my 7mm Rem Mag with a 160gr Nosler Partition. He netted 200 2/8th B&C and 452 5/8th SCI. To say that I am proud of him would be an understatement!

2. Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf SHEEP DOG

AWESOME man. I have longed thought that the moose is one fo the coolest game animals anywhere. Please provide more details of the hunt. Email if you like. I can not wait until the time I can afford ;) and get the money to spend on the hunt ;P .

Very nice looking animal ... you should be very proud.

Stay safe
    Grey Wolf

3. Glocktex

Glocktex

Yes I am very proud. I had initially spotted him over 2 miles away and then we rode horses up to within 3/4 of a mile from him and stalked up to within 61 short yards. The guide grunted a few times and then he stood up. When I shot him behind the front should he immediately fell to the ground and I knew that I had taken out his lungs and broken his back. When I got up to him he was on his way to expiring, however I did end up shooting him one more time to do the humane thing and speed his assent to God's moose heaven! I haven't got the meat back yet but I cannot wait to taste it. Th mount should hopefully be done within the next 6-8 months.

4. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

That is a dream trip. Congratulations.

5. D681

D681

That is a fantastic animal. If you thought elk was good meat wait until you taste moose. Probably the best meat anywhere! Fine trophy.

6. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Dang, that's a heckuva moose you got there, buddy! Nice going. Did you quarter him out and take the backstraps, loins, neck roasts etc or did you pack out the whole animal with the horses?

Just last night I got the first taste of the elk I harvested last week in Wyoming. I really enjoy elk meat however I have also heard that moose is even better. Enjoy!

7. vafish

vafish

Hope you got a big room with a high ceiling to hang that head in.

I have a friend that shot a moose with a 46" spread (IIRC). Only place his wife would let him hang the head was in the basement family room (7' ceiling) The nose is about two feet off the floor and the antlers are almost touching the ceiling.

Congratulations on a nice moose.

8. Glocktex

Glocktex

It took us about 2 to 2 1/2 hrs to skin and quarter the animal. The next day the guides went back and brought the 4 quarters, backstraps and loins back to the spike camp and then we left on horseback the next day for a 4 hour ride on horseback back to the main base camp. The horseback riding alone was worth the trip. I may have to go back next year for mountain caribou, Lord willing!

9. CanadianGlockFan

CanadianGlockFan

Nice moose, Glocktex. Whereabouts did you go in BC? I used to hunt in the Babine Lake area, when I lived out there.

10. vart

vart

I still have about 20 lbs. of moose meat in the freezer from my dad's moose. Absolutely great tasting meat!
    However, I've heard that Caribou is even better;) .

11. Glocktex

Glocktex

We were in the Northwestern area of British Columbia. We took a float plane about an our southwest of Watson Lake, Yukon. We were about 30-40 miles south of the Yukon border in B.C. Th outfitter I used was Kawdy Outfitters. The web site for those of you interested is http://www.lancasterfontana.com If any of you are considering hunting for any of the 20 North American big game animals that they have to offer, you WILL NOT find a more honest and hard working group of people than Stan Lancaster and his group. It was a first class operation from start to finish, including the guides, accomadations and food! I would have no reason to chose another outfitter for my future hunting! If any of you are considering a hunt for any of the animals he offers, let me know thru an email and I will hook you up with him.

12. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

WOW wow WOW..that is a dream i have...some day..:) :)
    have a beer or 2 on me..;c ;c ;c
    bob

13. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Lucky man.

Enjoy that meat!

14. hcook

hcook

That rocks!

I always wanted to get a moose when I lived in Maine, but the only way to get license is through a lottery. Entered every year, not drawn once... :(