Mooney - The Symbol of Performance

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by gizmo, Sep 5, 2004.

1. gizmo

gizmo Cowlingboy

Anyone here own/fly or love/hate Mooney aircraft? I have been away from this site for a long time (this forum was not even here last time I was active at this site) but from reading through the archives it looks like a lot of you folks are rotor jocks and current or ex- military types (not that there is anything wrong with that:cool: ).

2. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I got my instrument ticket in a friend's Mooney in the 60's.
    I really liked the airplane but haven't flown one since.

I didn't fly it enough to know that much about it but I knew I would liked to have one.:)

3. gizmo

gizmo Cowlingboy

HEY! Good to hear from you sir! Have really enjoyed reading of your exploits here in the forum. I always wanted to be a pilot when I grew up, but it just wasn't in the cards. ;?

4. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

I had a boss at Ft. Campbell in the 1980s who owned a 201. We made semi-monthly Corona runs in it to El Paso & Ft. Bliss (TDY on Uncle's* nickel no less). That was a sweet ride. TOF to West Texas: 7 hours; 180 MPH across the ground @ FL180** on, if I remember correctly, 8.5 GPH @ 65%.

I was a rotorhead and very low-time FW pilot. Flying something that sleek definitely necessitated recalibrating my judgment on approaches and landings. The boss let me fly idiot circles in it once ...just once. You probably can imagine why.

The design philosophy of Al Mooney has always put me in mind of Dr. Ferdinand Porsche: “Here’s how it should be built and, dang-it, those other guys are just wrong!” It was fitting that the two of them finally got together for the PFM.

*No, Not Uncle M2, Uncle Sam.
    **Yes, with cannula.

5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Ya gizmo, I always wanted to be a pilot to, but I never wanted to grow up.

I was successful in both goals.;f

6. Skyhook

Skyhook

My Mooney experience goes back to the old manual gear thang... me buddy landed it without the handle in 'LOCKED' position and bellied it in with three pax during a Penny-per-pound benefit for the local Kawanis fund raiser. First airplane ride for each, it was.
    Then he buys a -201 all by hisself ( I decided to go the Commanche way- solo). I liked the Mooney and it was one of those stiff-control beauties that makes very stable X-C/Instrument platforms.
    I'm into Beech King Air for X-C, now, and RV-4 for fun flying.

**I join M2 with that 'not wanting to grow up' business. And I'm so darned immature, age doesn't seem to matter.;f

7. gizmo

gizmo Cowlingboy

Haha! I hear that! I always had a minor Peter Pan complex myself. Let me correct myself, when I was "old enough" (uuhhgg, OLD) I wanted to do that.

Truly blessed is the one that can say that the boy he was would be proud of the man he turned out to be. (Quote stolen from someone and mangled by me)

8. dentalzzz

dentalzzz

I have a M20C - absolutely love it. Just got it back from the paint shop yesterday.

KR

9. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

Pictures?

10. gizmo

gizmo Cowlingboy

Oh yeah? Which shop? What kind of scheme? Details! Inquiring minds want to know!

No seriously, how long have you owned? What mods? I would like to hear about it, if you would like to tell. I am, ahhhh... kind of a fan you might say.:)

11. dentalzzz

dentalzzz

Those of you familiar with Mooneys know that fuel tank leaks are common. I bought the airplane just over a year ago and the tanks were completely stripped and resealed a few months before I bought it. The inboard portion of the wings were repainted - and the A&P did a particularly crappy job. I took the airplane back to him after I bought it and he redid the paint - equally crappy to the first time.

The paint was bubbling and other nasty stuff so I decided to have the wings repainted. I had Arizona Wing Waxers do the paint as I used them right after buying the Mooney for a complete detailing. They did an excellent job last year and just recently introduced painting to their services.

The job was promised as no more than two weeks. Yesterday when I picked it up was four weeks after I dropped it off.:(

Overall, the quality was better than average but with isolated areas below average - not crisp junctions between the base white and gray stripes, a couple of areas of paint applied too thickly and running, etc. Certainly not horrible and a whole lot better than when I brought it in, but not the exceptional job I was expecting based on prior service from the company.

The airplane itself has no speed mods at all, completely stock. It is a 1967 with the manual gear and hydraulic flaps - I wouldn't have it any other way. The paint may have slicked it up a bit, but before paint I was seeing 147 kts in cruise burning about 9 gallons per hour.

Here's a Picture that was taken a few months before I bought the airplane last year.

KR

12. Bob22

Bob22

I am just geting into the Mooney for my commercial certificate and boy is it different. Its like a damn wet fish, slippery as heck. The thing just wont slow down. It is alot stiffer than the Piper Archer im used to but I do like the feel. I feel like I do more triming than flying. But take this all with a grain of salt as I have very very very little time in the airplane. Ohh, by the way the Mooney is a 1992? M20J. Bob

13. Tennessee Slim

It's the only recip I've ever flown that couldn't be made to go down and slow down at the same time ...a recip that needs speed brakes?!?

14. Skyhook

Skyhook

Yo, 'Slim', ever fly one of them 'Forked-tail Doctor-Killers'?

Beech made a slick one in that model.

One more thought on 'slippery'- that little RV-4 has to be backed-off about four miles out for it also will just keep surfin'.;)

15. Tennessee Slim

Yuh I heard that. I've not flown one but a V-35 is high on my list if I ever take a notion to own again. The RV-8 looks mighty enticing, too.

16. dentalzzz

dentalzzz

I typically pull back power and begin my descent in the Mooney about 20 miles out. It is very easy to reach red line if keeping the power up and descending.

17. Skyhook

Skyhook

Decent. I was talking about level flight/ pattern alt. I do the same for letting down as you said. I do like to be at or a tad below pattern altitude at uncontrolled airports.
    Ever do a 'military break' with the Mooney? I've done them at uncontrolled airports (announcing 'way ahead, naturally) in the T-34, Mooney, E33, and the RV. What's interesting is if done correctly (according to my Marine inst.(RET)) all those different makes come out just about on the numbers as advertised. Too bad the FAA doesn't like 'em.:cool:

18. dentalzzz

dentalzzz

I have done them, yes. But my uncontrolled field (KAVQ) is a moderately busy one so I rarely get the chance.

19. FLMarine

FLMarine

I've done a bunch of "breaks" in the T-34C, and I always enjoyed them. We would come in at 1000 ft, 170 KIAS and at the end of the runway go to a 45 degree AOB turn until we were about 3/4 wingtip distance on the downwind at 100 KIAS, descend to 800 ft, abeam of the 180 reduce power to 300 ft/lbs and begin a decending turn to reach the 90 postion at about 90-95 KIAS and 450 ft, and be on course with about 600-800 ft of straight away. The numbers work out great if you hit them. I was able to land on the numbers most of the time doing the landing that way. Won a couple of beers off instructors who bet that I couldn't (lost more bets than I won, lol). If you want to see them at an uncontrolled airfield go out to Las Cruces, New Mexico from about Jan to Mar. NAS Corpus Christi sends out a bunch of planes, students, and instructors for a detachment because the weather gets so crappy at Corpus Christi during that time. Still haven't flown a mooney yet, actually I haven't flown anything else than a T-34C and a TH-57 B/C, but once I get my wings in about three months I'll be able to rent planes.

20. gizmo

gizmo Cowlingboy

Hey, good to hear from everyone. Your responses are appreciated. I just wanted to come clean by saying that I am not a pilot, nor do I play one on T.V., but I do work at Mooney Airplane company (formerly Mooney Aircraft Corporation, before the bankruptcy) as an aircraft assembler. Some days it just seems like I am performing "phantom labor" since I seldom have any interaction with any of the end users of my work. Nice to see people appreciate the aircraft (whether or not I actually helped to build yours). Keep 'em flying.
    ;w ;? :cool: