Glock Talk banner

Monthly GT pistol drill thread: OCTOBER

687 16
This month is the Wilson 5x5 test. You will need 25 rounds. The picture is pretty self explanatory.

Shooting from concealment is optional. Doing so or not does not get you a time penalty nor credit.

Take your times minus penalties and add them up.

You can also use a USPSA target. Add .5 for Charlie, 1.5 for Deltas.

I will post my run later today. I did it a while ago.

Font Terrestrial plant Darkness Wood Screenshot
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
From what I can tell, this IS the 5x5 IDPA classifier, except the penalties are doubled (1 and 3 seconds). The time ranges for each classification might be different, too. I did it recently after coming back from shooting 22LR almost exclusively for 2 years and I lost a huge step. I have shot a few more matches with the 9 since then and it (recoil management) is coming back to me, so I should set this up and try again.

Registered
I was doing something real similar Monday except further away. I probably won't place high, but will do better at 5yds than I did at 20! I just gotta go crowbar the billfold open (.45 ist sehr teuer!) at Ascamedy again, then I can shoot this deal.

With a box, I'll shoot a practice, then the remaining 25 for score. Thanks for this drill! It's very well timed!

Registered
I usually run this around 18-19sec. Haven't done it in a few years. Hope to try soon(even though my time last month never got added to the list馃槩)
This is also the idpa classifier. I disagree with it as a classifier, its too easy. Its a good recoil management drill though. My last BUG run was 19.4 down 2. My ccp run was 20.4 down zero, flubbed the reload. My best raw time was 13.4 but dropped 8, 1911/9. You can lose a lot of time on a poor reload.

Reactions: MarkCO and Schrag4

Registered
My best today was 23.18; 20.18 actual, and 3 in the -1 zone.
That was with my G44.
One thing that really got me was not having a single GLOCK mag holder with me. I bobbled every reload as a result of grabbing from stuffed behind belt or in left front pocket.

Good warm-up today. Next week I'll do .45 ACP.
I didn't even think about taking a photo either.
Hopefully I can get "Sharpshooter" with the big bore. Fired a couple .44 Magnums today also- that's a serious unit!

On the Border
The 10/13 initial run was actually a 14.25, not 13.77. I wrote down one of the string times wrong, so fixed that above. Ran it again yesterday stepping up the pace a bit. Charlies were adding up faster, but still a better score at 10.91 + 2.5 = 13.41.

The head snapped off one of my grip screws, so was holding the grip on the gun and got pretty sloppy with the reload string. Will see if I can get it together and clean up some Charlies to get into 12's. This may be our last week of good paper weather. Shadows are getting long again...

Had one run yesterday that was clean on a 10 second pace up through the first mag of the reload string, but the slide didn't lock back for the reload. Barring a mike on the head, that might have been the one that got away.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 10/13 initial run was actually a 14.25, not 13.77. I wrote down one of the string times wrong, so fixed that above. Ran it again yesterday stepping up the pace a bit. Charlies were adding up faster, but still a better score at 10.91 + 2.5 = 13.41.

The head snapped off one of my grip screws, so was holding the grip on the gun and got pretty sloppy with the reload string. Will see if I can get it together and clean up some Charlies to get into 12's. This may be our last week of good paper weather. Shadows are getting long again...

Had one run yesterday that was clean on a 10 second pace up through the first mag of the reload string, but the slide didn't lock back for the reload. Barring a mike on the head, that might have been the one that got away.

Good shooting as always.

I shot my first USPSA match last night and while it was just a local level 1 match, there were 19 people there and I placed 9th despite being the only person there who had never been to a match. All the dry fire has helped me it seems:)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good job. You guys have evening club matches?
Yes. I am not a club member, but on the waiting list(currently 2 years). Local matches are open to the public. Tuesday nights as well as one Saturday monthly match. Indoors sucks but it鈥檚 shooting. They have 5 outdoor bays for warm weather.

3 stages, they were harder than they looked.

Fixture Building Floor Flooring City

On the Border
Yes. I am not a club member, but on the waiting list(currently 2 years). Local matches are open to the public. Tuesday nights as well as one Saturday monthly match. Indoors sucks but it鈥檚 shooting. They have 5 outdoor bays for warm weather.

3 stages, they were harder than they looked.

View attachment 1123286
Seems odd that a small club would have a wait list. Club matches should be open to any USPSA member. Evening matches sound kind of fun, but I agree indoor shooting is not good. I might be into it for limited solo stuff in winter, but not so much for matches.

On the Border
Guess I can stand out there all day turning 10's into 13's, or tighten it up a bit and turn an 11 into a 12. This is hard, because it really seems doable to blast the freestyle strings on mechanics with target focus. But that results in 1 Charlie per string, plus a couple mistakes and you're 3 seconds in the hole.

Adding 0.50 to the raw time is about what it takes for me to draw to sight focus, stay there, and watch the sights track. That pays back 1.50 in Charlies. Would be a different story at 7 yards.

So I guess 11.22 + 1.5 = 12.72 is about the best I've realistically got on this. A couple Cinderella runs went bad when the slide didn't lock back, and I freakin' miked the head on one... which is another benefit of drawing to sight focus and just staying there.

It's a dream for me to be able to shoot warp drive with full points at this level of restrictiveness. That is so, so much harder than it seems, though...

On the Border
Another factor on this (at least for me) is all three sessions were in screamin' high pressure conditions with a pretty low sun angle. I usually don't even go out on days like that in winter, the glare is just too much.

My visual perception of the sights in target focus on a nice overcast day is probably better than it is in sight focus under these conditions. So might be able to keep 0.15 splits fully in the A Zone at that distance. With the Tanfo, that's right on the edge of being able to use active visual guidance, as opposed to passive vision in front of mechanics.

Would be interesting to try later in the year, with an A Zone and 3 inch plates on a Mozambique stand. This is the pace for Stoeger's 15 HF 20 yard Bill. What a badass.

Registered
Im still slow and sloppy with my G17. Funny how ignoring it for two years has that effect. My draw, sight acquisition, and reloads are just a tick off. Now that 9mm is getting back down towards reasonable, I'll be working it back into the rotation.

I should have specified to my videographer that "video the target" implies using the zoom function
Wood Art Font Tints and shades Pattern

These are my 3 bad shots. I'm embarrassed of that -3 on strong hand only.

Time- 15.84
Point- 5 = 2.5sec
Total- 18.34

1 - 17 of 17 Posts