Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought these from here.
i loaded some up and tried them out yesterday.
they shot like crap. yeah, i know, i shoot poorly, and it was cold.
i did some reading and went out and measured them: .354!
am i screwed? do i screw the next guy? buy a subgun and spray them?
any thoughts, ideas & help is appreciated.
michael

·
Farmer, House Sitter and Cook
5,909 Posts
Roughly how many undersize bullets are we talking about?

What kind of rifling is in your firearm? To what diameter does the barrel slug?

How hot are you able to push them based on your reloading experience?

They are only .001" undersize for jacketed bullets. That should not make a huge difference if you optimize the load, and the gun has the barrel for them.

·
Registered
35,939 Posts
They are only .001" undersize for jacketed bullets. That should not make a huge difference if you optimize the load, and the gun has the barrel for them.
Not really. A bullet 0.001" under sized is not going to have good stability as it leaves the bbl. Yes they will shoot like crap, regardless of how fast you run them, unless you have a 9mm that has 0.354" grooves.
xdm, double check your calipers reading, that is quite a bit smaller than aceptable min. If they truely are 0.354", call MG, send them back for replacement. They are good folks towork w/ & have a good rep. I doubt they want to be making customers unhappy.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks fred, nitesite.
we be talking ~3000.
i was told they were montana golds.
yes sir; .354>.3535.
bag of bullets weighs about 20 #s.
gold bullet, exposed lead base.
does this sound true?
they were shoot from an lwd barrel.
i'm able to push a bullet into a sized piece of brass by hand.
should i notify MG. i bought them from a member here, not directly.

·
Got Pb?
1,451 Posts
I would verify they are MG's bullets. Is their name on the box or anything? Got any pics?

Its not unheard of to get a bad batch from anyone. If they are MG's they will probably replace them but Im not sure about if youre not the original buyer.

Do places like MG sell seconds?

·
Bustin Caps
6,927 Posts
I've gone through 27,000 Montana Golds. I shoot 147grainers.

I've had no issues with them. They're known to be a quality bullet maker. You can call them, maybe send them one, but having not bought directly from them... might have trouble with that? :dunno:

·
Registered
786 Posts
I would verify they are MG's bullets. Is their name on the box or anything? Got any pics?...

Any evidence that these came from MG ? Other than someone sold em to ya and said so ?

In my bullet buying experience, MG is the least likely to screw things up.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i bought them having heard of MG reputation.
i got boffed knowingly/unkowingly by a member here. it's past. my kids & grandson had a good Christmas!

i'm trying to figure out a way to use them, if possible.
i'll check out MG's site and see if they have pics/compare what i got.
my buddy has a subgun we can shoot them in if that's my only option.

thanks for trying to help.

·
Registered
35,939 Posts
Sounds like you really don't know what you bought. I can tell you again though, you will not get them to shoot if they are undersized unless you have an undersized 9mm & most are 0.355" or slightly larger, not smaller. Close range speed shooting maybe?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
C4W, the're gold, like the norincos from the early 90s.

fred, my buddy has a subgun so that's what i'm thinking.

if anyone wants to check them out pm me an email address and i'll try to get you pics. if my pic fu is fu'd send me a real address and i'll send you a few(fewer to crank out for the sub!).

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've got a case on the way. Hope they work out okay. I've heard nothing but good things about them usually on this board though.

·
Malcontent
11,682 Posts
Do you have a Glock barrel to shoot them out of? Can you try different powders? I guess with bad neck tension (the bullet not fitting snug in the case) it is going to be a problem no matter what you shoot them out of. What brass were the bullets loose in?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
they weren't 'rattle around' loose but i could push the bullet into a sized/not belled piece of brass a little bit.

thanks njl.
as i tried to tell everyone in my posts, you can't judge a bullet by my shooting!
and as i've also said, i will continue to try and master these!

·
Malcontent
11,682 Posts
they weren't 'rattle around' loose but i could push the bullet into a sized/not belled piece of brass a little bit.

thanks njl.
as i tried to tell everyone in my posts, you can't judge a bullet by my shooting!
How are you going to master an ammo combo that allows for the bullet to telescope into the case? Please bring a camera with you to the range since we can awlays use a good KBthread around here.

·
Crusty Member
10,819 Posts

thanks njl.
Once you've made a finished cartridge, if you squeeze the bullet towards the primer in your fingers, does the OAL change? If it does, that's not good.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
on a finished round everything is good and tight. round drops in and out of my lwd barrel, just like my lead and berrys rounds but i can't hand seat a lead or berrys bullet w/o belling the case. the bullet doesn't "dtop down" into the case but it goes in enough so i can turn the case upside down and the bullet doesn't come out.

i don't know that a thousandth will make a difference at 20 yds or less. i could be missing the bullseye all by myself!

as njl posted the bullets are in spec from MG. i just need to bundle up, settle down and spend some dedicated range time as opposed to a drive-by on the way to the store for a carton of milk!

WiskyT, i don't think i'm close to kb time. the rounds don't show pressure sign but aren't bunnyfarts either.

i have a big frame(club property)that i can put/stable a backer board to. the opening is representative of a torso. the backer board i've been using is white plastic sign board(well shot up)that i adhere labels(2X4) onto. if i don't hit the lablel then i don't know where it hit but it's definitely not still in the barrel.

solution: i need a new backer board, better gloves/warmer shooting day.

·
Malcontent
11,682 Posts
XD,

There is a safety issue that I have been a bit of a wise ass about, but will now give a brief, serious comment about. If the bullet is not very firmly held in the case, it can be pushed further in as it is fed from the magazine into the chamber, if you drop the round on the ground, under recoil from previous rounds being fired.

This results in the over-all length of the the loaded round being reduced. This reduction in OAL results in a dramatic increase in pressure. This can cause a case blow-out or even the destruction of the gun or shooter.

In terms of accuracy, I think your bullets could go either way. It could be the bullet. It could be the shooter. It could be the load. It could be the shooter's expectation of accuracy. I'm not really concerned about accuaracy, I'm only interested in safety at this point.

The bullet should be held very firmly by the interferance fit between it and the case that holds it. CRIMP HAS NO EFFECT ON THIS. You need to get the cases to hold the bullets very tightly, so you can't push them in by hand, before the case is crimped, before you go any further with these bullets.

The easiest way to do this is with thickeer brass. Pick through your brass and find ones that hold the bullet better. In my expirience, military brass is thicker, and Remington brass is thinner. If you can find a particular headstamp that holds the bullet tightly, use those cases with those bullets until they are gone. If trying different cases doesn't work, there other more involved ways to increase neck tension as it is called.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts