close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Monsterpigs will ....

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Jun 24, 2007.

1. noway

noway

Not really.

For the last 3 weekends, I been hired out to help trap a few hogs running on 150acres or land in SE florida. So far we caught "zero". On my way back home Monday I had to pull over due to being up since :3:35AM en-route to hog trapping land.

I stopped at the entrance to one of my local hunting WMA ( JW/corbett in Palm BCH county. And no sooner than I shutdown my engine. I heard the all familiar snort,squeal,grunt of some florida razzorbacks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I had to guess they where all in the 150-200lb range. Which btw is typical for true wildhogs down these parts. I will be back this next sunday for one more attempt in checking the traps and hoping to find a hog or maybe a 1000lb monster pig named Fred ;)

2. UtahBen

UtahBen

Thanks for the pics. I find this so interesting because it is completely foreign to me.

3. Glocktex

Glocktex

And the reason they are not in your freezer is because???????????

4. noway

noway

The season is closed on this WMA for hogs. But man I could have easily poached one or two of these hogs if I wanted to ;)

5. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Hey Noway, they taste better "Over easy," rather than "Poached." ;)

Very nice pics my friend. That ground looks really sandy, like beach sand almost. Is that an illustion, or am I reading it correctly?

Later

CM

6. noway

noway

No most of Florida and specially south florida is sandy soil condition. No hard soil no red clay/soil as what you will find else.

i.e

If I go outside to my front yard and dig 2", it will be loose dirt and 2" plus is all sand and 16-18" is water or maybe with the dryness around water might be 24" down.

All sand, and those slash pines in the background, love it ;)

7. Sharker

Sharker

Great pics Noway.
    My hunting buddy went to a new island up here near Jax, and says that they saw 40 plus pigs in 2 hours. Arrowed three, found 2 of em. They had a 400 pounder with visible tusks from 40 yards that they passed on... said it looked so nasty they didnt even want to taste it. The one they lost swam the river and and hit the other shore, onto private land.

We are going to check it out again soon, maybe this weekend, as with the Full moon, tides will push them into a really confined area...

8. noway

noway

The one they lost swam the river and and hit the other shore, onto private land.

nice,

Where I'm at, we have traps setup but no luck. We did catch 2 small ones, I mean like 25lbs if that ( runts or piglets ), but the big hogs are either bursting the traps ( yes they are built strong but surprise to us, they still either get out before the doors close) So now we plan on placing a game camera in the areas of where the traps are located at. We might then get an idea of what/who is comming and going.

With the water level down, the hogs are rutting up more areas than before ( new dirt if I had to guess ) and then they seem to be getting more bolder in grazing in other areas that they normally don't go too.

So this sat/sun I'm back out doing the the "here litte piggy " ;)

Either way, I hunting on this same property come next mondth if I get lucky. So I hope to post some hog pictures and stories.

9. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Darn, I wish we could find wildhogs that easily around Western WA.

You are lucky noway!

10. bamarammin87

bamarammin87 h8tr

i saw a good article in boar hunter magazine. use a trap that they can walk through, and put food on both ends of it. let them get used to walking through the trap for awhile. then close one door and let them get used to going into the trap for awhile. and then set the trap with food going into it, and big supply of food on the inside. he says it works great for them. try some sour corn.

11. D-GLOCK17

D-GLOCK17 GLOCKER

And SC too. I have never seen a wild hog in the wilderness. Supposedly there were plenty around where I live 20 or 30 years ago. I have seen three or four bobcats...but never a wild hog or even a skunk.

12. noway

noway

Our problem is not attracting the hog but getting them in the trap and the trap staying and closed.

Trapping a hog is not like trapping a skunk ;)

Also these creatures are smart and not stupid when it comes to to something out of the ordinary. They can be just as cautious as a deer.

13. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

Some good looking porkers, Noway. How many can you take in a season and what does a license cost? Are public lands available?

Someday I want to hunt wild hogs and javelina. Have seen javelinas in AZ, NM, and west TX, but they're not as big as those hogs. Are they always good eating and do you butcher them yourself?

14. noway

noway

SEason limits depends on where you hunt at on public lands. Private lands no limits, no sizes restrictions and no closed season ( it's not a game animal )

On public land ( like in those pictures ) thes hogs are restricted to 1 during any archery or muzzleloader seasons and by permit only during regular gun and the hogs must be 20" in shoulder height.

Other public lands requirements are more open ( 2-4 or no limist no sizes restrictions )

Public lands requires regular license and permist where required , private has not licenses requirements, just bring you gun, bow, knife, or spear and have at it ;)