Monitor Question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by USMCsilver, Aug 16, 2007.

1. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Okay, LCD monitors are the new thing as far as PCs go. I'm on my 2nd Samsung, and I love it.

However, I have two laptops -- a Toshiba and an Acer that both have a "different" type of display. The picture is so much more crisp than the traditional LCD monitor.

Are laptop type monitors available for use with regular computers?

2. lens

lens

It's been a number of years since I was involved with the technology, but it is my understanding that the technology is the same in laptop LCD and stand-alone LCD monitors.

The challenge is that as they get larger, the specs matter more and more. There are expensive large LCD monitors which brag about very high-end specs (and prices to match) and there is probably a valid reason vs. the $139-159 deals out there.

Putting a high-end LCD panel next to a cheap one should point out the differences to any of us. Check it out in a store where there is a single feed or standard screen sent to multiple monitors (Best Buy or CompUSA usually has this sort of setup).

3. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

/agree

Think this is why it took me so long to bite the bullet and jump onto the LCD bus. LCDs range from breath taking to downright crap. You definately get what you pay for. I went with the Viewsonic VX922 (I think) with a 2ms response and there is no ghosting in anything and the colors make my old CRT look ancient :p

4. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

This didn't answer my question...

Okay, the laptops have a glossy, glass-like finish and look super clear.

My LCD monitor in my office which is a 21" Samsung has a matte finish and doesn't appear as crisp as either of the laptops.

Maybe that explains it better??

5. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Part of it is the shiney finish. I don't remember seeing any glossy LCD monitors but I'll look around.

Part of it however, is the smaller dot-pitch typically found in laptop displays. Every dot is smaller so you're eye has more trouble seeing them.

Additionally, if you run any LCD at any resolution other than it's maximum, you'll lose clarity as it interpolates around the disparate pixel boundries.

6. squidville_1975

squidville_1975

There must be something missing with your desktop (maybe the video card, maybe the monitor itself) if your cheap laptop has better pictures/graphics. Did you say it's a Pentium II? :laughabove:

7. GlockMan40s&w

GlockMan40s&w MS Glocker

I bought a new HP w2207, it's a 20in LCD wide screen. It has a shiny screen finish.

8. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

It has nothing to do with the resolution. None of my PCs are cheap...

It's simply the fact that one is reflective and crisp looking while one isn't.

Just wondered if anyone had any insight into this.

Oh well...

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

The glossy LCD displays are suppose to have better color contrast. It may be that they just seem to look better. The matte LCD displays are suppose to anti-glare. This helps with reading text with different external light sources around. The glossy displays can be difficult to read text with certain indoor lights or even sunlight due to glare. My matte display even has some glare on it. The glossy ones do look better in the store but I don't want any more glare on my display. For colors and graphics the glossy displays may give a better look but I'd rather be able read text on my display and not have to worry about moving it around because of room lights or sunlight.

10. squidville_1975

squidville_1975

This is a cheap laptop by your own post: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=20861