monitor problems

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Clyde in CO, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Clyde in CO

Clyde in CO LOL WUT?

ok, so my crt monitor died and I bought a fancy 19 inch flatscreen.

only problem is the new monitor hurts my eyes.

it seems really bright, even when I tone the bright and contrast down all the way.

in the manual it says that anything above 60 dps can fatigue the eyes, but in windows I only have two selections, 70 dps and 60.

is there any way to lower the dps setting of the monitor in windows?

a driver disc came with the monitor, but when I pop it in it fails to run. got the driver off the net but am still at an imapasse.

any help would be appreciated.

end of line

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

What version of Windows and what model monitor?

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Have you tried to manually lower the settings using the buttons on the monitor?

Assuming it has them of course...

IGF

4. Clyde in CO

Clyde in CO LOL WUT?

its a samsung 915n, I'm running xp pro.

yes, I have used the manual controls to adjust the settings. the brightness is set at ZERO right now.

I unchecked a box in display advanced propoerties that allowed more rates, I upped it the highest it would go, to 120 hertz.

but when I click on the display properites button on the front of the monitor it says 60.0 kHz 75Hz PP.

so I think the problem is the refresh rate... my eyes are just not used to it.

lol, I did some searching on the web and every site says eyestrain comes from the refresh rate on CRT's and get an LCD to avoid it. it's the opposite for me, the crt felt fine and the LCD is killing me.

I just got it a couple of days ago, but if I can't fix this I'll have to get rid of it.

anybody want to buy a new samsung 19 inch LCD? lol

5. MLM

MLM

I seem to recall reading that "brightness" on a lcd is different than "brightness" on crt's.
    I think adjusting the contrast would give you the results that you're looking for. Can't remember for sure, though.
    When I got my new system it came with a lcd and at first it was bright, but after a few days you get use to it.

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

If you installed software for the monitor,the software controls override the manual controls.I think it even disables the manual controls.There should be more controls in the software than manual brightness and contrast controls.